Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fans

Quote Originally Posted by CPTMidnight View Post
    Sheesh Built, put on your big boy pants...

If you want to come on here and call BS on everything then - expect the rest of us to call BS on your BS. You come on here and explain how your the expert and advise all the recruits and know all the coaches have a philosophy on life and fandom but you want us to make sure our comments are not hurting your feelings? You have officially upped the ante on bizarre posts.

Oh... I get it. Your trolling me/us. Good one! You got me.
    Never have i claimed that i am a expert or that i am some authority. Simply sharing what i see, hear and observe. Some of it has been professional in nature. When asked by coaches or parents and players about programs and coaches i will tell them what i think. If asked to scout a player i will do so , including a get to know the family, the values, the character, the academic. If asked to rate coaches from no comment, to good, to great i will do so. Often, players and families already know. My opinion on this board is no more valuable than any other and i try and make a point to not make a crude or personal putdown of others.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnBurner View Post
    Where did anyone mention correct?
    Proper was the word used i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by WriterGoph View Post
    Who started the thread? A troll trying to avoid being totally outed
    Trolls do not pay big bucks for tickets, fly in for some home games, cheer for the team, endow a scholarship. Also stand at games when it is rocking despite being told to sit down. Any accuser can meet me scouting high school games, AAU events, or at my seats. I cheer hard for this program and have for a very long time. Can any of us be trolled by others ? If there is a consensus that my information and insights, shared experiences of being around other programs is worth i can stop posting. Personally i have taken a great interest with several posters that share their opinions and ideas and observations. Even when their is strong disagreement i find myself learning something. If someone thinks that at near 80 i will be hurt by personal attacks that is on them. If pushing buttons to insult someone is your thing so be it. Outed ? Why not meet meet me at a game.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Trolls do not pay big bucks for tickets, fly in for some home games, cheer for the team, endow a scholarship. Also stand at games when it is rocking despite being told to sit down. Any accuser can meet me scouting high school games, AAU events, or at my seats. I cheer hard for this program and have for a very long time. Can any of us be trolled by others ? If there is a consensus that my information and insights, shared experiences of being around other programs is worth i can stop posting. Personally i have taken a great interest with several posters that share their opinions and ideas and observations. Even when their is strong disagreement i find myself learning something. If someone thinks that at near 80 i will be hurt by personal attacks that is on them. If pushing buttons to insult someone is your thing so be it. Outed ? Why not meet meet me at a game.
    You have repeatedly called some posts personal attacks and been butt hurt. Not personal attacks, unlike you continual shots at Pitino.

And those posts call you out for inconsistency and challenge your unnecessary shots at Pitino.

Seriously Dude? What were you thinking when you created a username of “builtbadgers”???? Did you think no one on GOPHER board would have a problem with you? Add in the love affair with Gard and the Bennett’s, and I think you’ve been treated as well as any enemy poster in the history of message boards.......SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseheadgophfan View Post
    Seriously Dude? What were you thinking when you created a username of “builtbadgers”???? Did you think no one on GOPHER board would have a problem with you? Add in the love affair with Gard and the Bennett’s, and I think you’ve been treated as well as any enemy poster in the history of message boards.......SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is a name given to me by a former coach. Used as a joke on the board not knowing that people hate for names or make judgements on them. If content bothers you as a point of success and reference do not read it. Personal insults is not a way to a discussion.

built, be who you are. The guys that go after you are border line psychotic like BarnBurner who is probably gonna be in jail in a few months, so no worry there and others like JimmyJames who while good intentioned think this should be a site devoted to nothing but rah rah and reasoned takes on basketball and recruiting have no place. Don't try to placate this bunch. They may try to make you feel like intelligence and reason is a bad thing, but don't fall into their trap.

And BTW this is coming from a Pitino fan.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodburyTim View Post
    built, be who you are. The guys that go after you are border line psychotic like BarnBurner who is probably gonna be in jail in a few months, so no worry there and others like JimmyJames who while good intentioned think this should be a site devoted to nothing but rah rah and reasoned takes on basketball and recruiting have no place. Don't try to placate this bunch. They may try to make you feel like intelligence and reason is a bad thing, but don't fall into their trap.

I second this. I come on the board for discussion. Discussion without different perspectives is boring and stagnant.

Your the kind of poster that you and i have had disagreements followed by healthy exchange of thoughts and ideas. It is not as though i want Richard to fail, just not a fan how he has gone about it. Always my observation and opinion. Will never shy away from calling it like i see it. Look forward to our next exchange whether we are in agreement or not.

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    We have had our differences and I try not to make it personal. We can respect each other's opinion, but that doesn't mean we have to agree. I do like Pitino's potential more than some of you, and by no means do I have a lower standard.

To put it in perspective, I was years ahead of the crowd calling for Woog and Lucia to be replaced. Many looked at the overall records and said I was crazy, but I looked at the details of how they coached and expected better.

Pitino was hired as a top P5 head coach very, very early in his career. He did not have the time to develop his style, recruiting standards, roster management, etc at a lower level before he was thrown into the fire. On numerous occasions I have supplied data that shows he is on track with many other successful coaches "at this point" in his HC career. He has shown signs of improvement and that he has learned from his early mistakes. The team is still not at the level that we expect it to be, but he has taken it to the NCAA 2 out of the last 3 years (It could have been 3 years in a row without the major injuries, etc). If Pitino stop improving, then I will again expect a better coach.

Many of our fans are our own worst enemy! We have got to have hope and support our program instead of always using the past to bash our team.
    You're right, but an argument could be made that he was in a better situation. He grew up in a basketball family. Rick Pitino is his dad. He was on Billy Donovon's staff for a couple of years. 5 years combined under these 2 Title winning coaches (Richard was involved in 3 Elite 8"s and one Final 4 during the 5 years). Didn't he learn anything in this environment before he was named coach of the Gophers? I want him succeed, I really do. His results speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    Apologies if I’ve missed it but I’d love to see this data you speak of. I don’t recall seeing it. Been a busy summer/fall for me so not much time spent on here. I recall it being the opposite though
    Agreed. I too would love to see this data. My guess is that it's dishonest nonsense, like his attempt earlier this week to compare Krzyzewski at Army to Pitino at Minnesota. Hey, did you know Pitino has more conference wins at Minnesota than Krzyzewski did at Army? (Army was an independent and thus didn't play any conference games, but that's beside the point.) Hey, did you know that Pitino has made it to the NCAA Tournament twice at Minnesota? Coach K didn't do that at Army!!! (Independent schools rarely if ever make the NCAA Tournament in basketball, but that's beside the point too.)

My guess is that the above is the level of "data" he has to present on the topic. Like you, I have never seen it though he has presented it on "numerous occasions," but would love to see it now.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post

Again, this is a bizarre thread. Are we really so bored at this point that we are arguing on who is hurting who's feelings?

There is no vice in being passionate about your opinion and vigorously defending it. Conversely, there is no virtue in pretending that everyone has a great opinion. Everyone try to be civil and at the same time "cowboy up" a little so we can put a limit on these types of threads.

Can we move on from this thread and get back to wrestling with how the gophers pick up the pace on recruiting, win games and fun stuff.
    Last edited by CPTMidnight; 09-20-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Agreed. I too would love to see this data. My guess is that it's dishonest nonsense, like his attempt earlier this week to compare Krzyzewski at Army to Pitino at Minnesota. Hey, did you know Pitino has more conference wins at Minnesota than Krzyzewski did at Army? (Army was an independent and thus didn't play any conference games, but that's beside the point.) Hey, did you know that Pitino has made it to the NCAA Tournament twice at Minnesota? Coach K didn't do that at Army!!! (Independent schools rarely if ever make the NCAA Tournament in basketball, but that's beside the point too.)

My guess is that the above is the level of "data" he has to present on the topic. Like you, I have never seen it though he has presented it on "numerous occasions," but would love to see it now.
    DP, you most definitely have selective memory.

My discussion on coach K was to present his record versus Pitino's record at a similar point in their career. Army did join a conference during coach K's last year and I added his first three years at Duke. I am not claiming that Pitino is at the same level as the current coach K, just pointing out to those who are jumping all over Pitino for his record, may not have given coach K a chance either. It was post #984 in the 2020 recruiting thread and it carry on there and the "coaches thread".

Here are the records of two young coaches, who do you think has done a better job of coaching?

Coach A:

8 years as a HC

Overall record is 111W-106L for a 51.2% record.

Conference record is 19W-37L for a 33.9%

No NCAA appearances

Coach B:

7 years as a HC

Overall record is 130W-106L for a 55.1% record.

Conference record is 40W-70L for a 36.4%

2 NCAA appearances

I agree. He has some good insight.

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    I agree. He has some good insight.
    And let’s face it, I don’t come here to listen to people rant or complain, I come here to pick up rumors or knowledge from those few who might be plugged into something.