STrib: Border battered: Wisconsin gets two U basketball recruits in 24 hours

They appear to be near equal by acceptance rates and other rankings. Not public Ivy status . Pretty subjective on school, campus, size of city, pro team in town versus only team in town. What becomes more clear is program success, coaching success. Fun was mentioned here as Pitino is more fun to play for. The players having the most fun win, ask them. Look at their faces at trophy presentations, conference titles, final 4 trips, national titles.

I'm aware, but wasn't what I was talking about. I KNOW WI BBALL HAS BEEN BETTER

I disagree their school is better, overall fairly comparable in academics. I know UW fans like to think of them as the harvard of Midwest, but I think their composite ACT score is 27, ours is 26..oh my. Acceptance rates are same. MN does better with 4 year graduation (Sobriety helps) and those who graduate don't need to relocate

You don't need to switch to bball program, I KNOW THEY'RE BETTER

I'm aware, but wasn't what I was talking about. I KNOW WI BBALL HAS BEEN BETTER

I disagree their school is better, overall fairly comparable in academics. I know UW fans like to think of them as the harvard of Midwest, but I think their composite ACT score is 27, ours is 26..oh my. Acceptance rates are same. MN does better with 4 year graduation (Sobriety helps) and those who graduate don't need to relocate

You don't need to switch to bball program, I KNOW THEY'RE BETTER

Agree with you on academics, stated that.

Agree with you on academics, stated that.

And I agree it's subject. Some are going to like that UM is more urban with close connections and easy access to Minneapolis (which hurts developing entertainment around the U) and some are going to enjoy college town feel of Madison. It depends what they want.

When I went to college I wanted to go to college town, ended up in Duluth. Was great

Who was the last Mn player that went to Wisconsin that we really missed. The only one I can think of is Cam Taylor from North Mpls. Not too concerned about these two or the last two.

Jordan Taylor
Jon Leuer
couple other solid Big 10 players that you would consider as missed because all they did was win games

Jordan Taylor
Jon Leuer
couple other solid Big 10 players that you would consider as missed because all they did was win games

I believe you missed the point. Wi hasn't had their core guys from MN since Taylor/Leuer. Few role players that gophers would've liked, but wouldn't have turned the gophers into winners by having them

Wisconsin loses out on a lot of top Wi kids, some kids just like to leave. For kids interested in staying in the B1G, MN needs to win more and be consistent. To win more and be consistent would help to keep some of these MN kids here, kind of chicken and egg thing

Jordan Taylor
Jon Leuer

Jordan Taylor that’s right.
Is it just me or is it weird that there are a few badger fans that lurk and even post here year round? I could see right before or after the Gopher vs Badgers game, but ...

Is it just me or is it weird that there are a few badger fans that lurk and even post here year round? I could see right before or after the Gopher vs Badgers game, but ...

There are few gopher fans on the buckyville that troll

But yes, for me it is odd, although less odd than NDSU fans that still routinely post on the football board (usually about NDSU is so much better, just check Sargarin rankings)

Yeah, it's really strange.

I get it before or after games, but the people that post year round as trolls are bizarre. That includes Gopher fans on Buckyville.

It can, it's mixed. We're not a college town like UW so Minneapolis isn't U (or gopher) Centric. Madison is.

What could have been, if the U main campus had been in Rochester. Would've been Gopher centric, with a solid base of population for attendance, plus not too far from Cities to draw for football and major non-football games.

Medical research would've gotten a boost too, being much closer to Mayo.

Alas ...

What could have been, if the U main campus had been in Rochester. Would've been Gopher centric, with a solid base of population for attendance, plus not too far from Cities to draw for football and major non-football games.

Medical research would've gotten a boost too, being much closer to Mayo.

Alas ...

I agree, I think we'd have been better off located in Rochester, Mankato, St Cloud, etc sports wise

Also have to remember that the sport has changed in many ways in the last 20 years. Once upon a time, a good player from MN might fall through the cracks.

today, any decent player is in a travelling AAU program and plays in events across the country. The internet can find a good kid anywhere and put them on the national stage. There is year-round coverage of basketball, recruiting, AAU and more on the internet. There are no secrets, no diamonds in the rough falling through the cracks. If there is a decent player in MN, then Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, etc all know about him (or her.)

In today's environment, would a Kevin McHale stay home if he was being recruited by every big-name coach in the country? Would a Mark Olberding have stayed home? no way to know.

But, the point is, basketball has changed and it's harder to keep the best kids at home because they have far more options than ever before. you can't count on kids giving the Gophers a 'home-town discount.'

if the Gophers want to keep the best in-state kids, they almost have to recruit them harder than the big-name teams, because the Gophers cannot offer them the big incentive: "come here and you can play for a National title and be on all the big TV games."

the Gophers cannot offer that. Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc can make that offer. That is a huge advantage for other schools.

RJ must think losing kids to wisky is worse than losing kids to Iowa..as far as his momentum point goes we had momentum 2 years ago ..not much logic by James there . Funny thing for a so called great program wisky loses quite a bit of home kids.. and are pretty chronic underachievers in the post season.. Does not help in state recruiting when competing teams tell kids why go to the U when they are bleeding out in state talent. Looks like white kids from MN have a thing for Wisc hoops vs the U. You need kids who still have yearning to play for the home team in front of friends and family ..then you need to be a perennial type of NCAA tournament team...before the iukewarm instate kids will feel like bleeding maroon and gold

Also have to remember that the sport has changed in many ways in the last 20 years. Once upon a time, a good player from MN might fall through the cracks.

today, any decent player is in a travelling AAU program and plays in events across the country. The internet can find a good kid anywhere and put them on the national stage. There is year-round coverage of basketball, recruiting, AAU and more on the internet. There are no secrets, no diamonds in the rough falling through the cracks. If there is a decent player in MN, then Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, etc all know about him (or her.)

In today's environment, would a Kevin McHale stay home if he was being recruited by every big-name coach in the country? Would a Mark Olberding have stayed home? no way to know.

But, the point is, basketball has changed and it's harder to keep the best kids at home because they have far more options than ever before. you can't count on kids giving the Gophers a 'home-town discount.'

if the Gophers want to keep the best in-state kids, they almost have to recruit them harder than the big-name teams, because the Gophers cannot offer them the big incentive: "come here and you can play for a National title and be on all the big TV games."

the Gophers cannot offer that. Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc can make that offer. That is a huge advantage for other schools.

Well, I might slightly modify this to: Duke, UNC, Kansas etc. all know about all the AAU players.

Where my knowledge quickly falls off is, how prolific is this AAU year-round club playing? Is it only the truly elite players, close to major urban areas, who are on these teams? Can a great player out in Bismarck, ND really jump on a Twin Cities AAU team? Maybe North Dakota has an AAU team of it's own.

Anybody who doesn't think this is a massive disaster is not being serious.

RJ must think losing kids to wisky is worse than losing kids to Iowa..as far as his momentum point goes we had momentum 2 years ago ..not much logic by James there . Funny thing for a so called great program wisky loses quite a bit of home kids.. and are pretty chronic underachievers in the post season.. Does not help in state recruiting when competing teams tell kids why go to the U when they are bleeding out in state talent. Looks like white kids from MN have a thing for Wisc hoops vs the U. You need kids who still have yearning to play for the home team in front of friends and family ..then you need to be a perennial type of NCAA tournament team...before the iukewarm instate kids will feel like bleeding maroon and gold

Are you implying there is a racial component, to it?

If Pitino fails to land one in-state recruit for 2020 which is a real possibility. Has another 10th place or lower conference season finish this year how can he keep his job?

At some point its time to say it isn't worked and it hasn't worked out.

Last edited:

If Pitino fails to land one in-state recruit for 2020 which is a real possibility. Has another 10th place or lower conference season finish this year how can he keep his job?

Semi Agreed

MN Kid or not, if he finishes 10th in B1G, probably time to move on

Dawson Garcia, if you are out there, you could end a lot of people's misery and this thread by committing to the Gophers this evening.

So, on the off chance you read this, please consider the favor you would be doing for us Minnesota die-hards.

You can always change your mind later.

My evaluation of whether or not i think t is time to move on will be informed by record, conference record, and post season results in both this year and full body of work. It will have nothing to do with how highly his recruits are rated, and will really have nothing to do with what states his recruits are from.

Pitino is a a short leash as in 2 years. Not a very short as in one year... Earned it for last season plus the AD likes him.... If he strikes out this year and next with in state kids and fails to make the dance both seasons...he is a gone

I think if he has an average class and another below average season. . . . he is gone.

Pitino is a a short leash as in 2 years. Not a very short as in one year... Earned it for last season plus the AD likes him.... If he strikes out this year and next with in state kids and fails to make the dance both seasons...he is a gone

Coyle likes Pitino’s personality, but that’s different than thinking he’s the right guy for the job. That “extension” Coyle gave him last year was only a paper extension and actually made it cheaper to fire him

IF we get Dawson, this is not a bad thing. Can't take them all. Don't want them all.

I wonder how posters here would feel if we had filled the class by now with Carlson, Crowl and the Madsen brothers (assuming we would have had to over sign). Would people be happy or would they think we should have waited for Garcia, Walton and Mashburn or Berry?

My opinion is when you win for over 20 years, win several conference titles and conference tourney titles, go to three final 4's. Win more games in 20 years than anyone in your conference , you have no scandals as it relates to recruiting or compliance. My opinion, that is a great program. Everyone has their own idea of what great is. What is your definition ?

Shoebox?

My evaluation of whether or not i think t is time to move on will be informed by record, conference record, and post season results in both this year and full body of work. It will have nothing to do with how highly his recruits are rated, and will really have nothing to do with what states his recruits are from.

If only life were that logically straightforward.

But we both know that’s not reality. Emotional trigger points are a thing, and losing in-state kids to places like Wisconsin touches raw nerves.

Not a reason by itself to fire Pitino, but it does factor into emotional decision making when Coyle has to make those decisions.

If only life were that logically straightforward.

But we both know that’s not reality. Emotional trigger points are a thing, and losing in-state kids to places like Wisconsin touches raw nerves.

Not a reason by itself to fire Pitino, but it does factor into emotional decision making when Coyle has to make those decisions.

I doubt Coyle is a "fan" in the same way that those of us on this board are. He probably follows bleedsmaroonandgold's reasoning of if the program gets good players and wins lots of games, then it doesn't really matter if a couple of kids who went to high school in Minnesota go to college at the University of Wisconsin. It should be, and probably is, an extremely minor factor if it's a factor at all. Hell Rob Jeter used to coach at Wisconsin. If he really hated Minnesota with all of his heart and soul, he probably wouldn't have taken the same job here. Likewise, I don't think Coyle hates Wisconsin in the same way that you and I do.

There's their many national titles. 1939 (I think?) and umm....
1941. As relevant as those football national titles.

Consistency and a high level of success makes it a great program. Go try and make 18 tournaments in a row.

Top Bottom