Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

If Pitino fails to land one in-state recruit for 2020 which is a real possibility. Has another 10th place or lower conference season finish this year how can he keep his job?

At some point its time to say it isn't worked and it hasn't worked out.
    Last edited by scools12; 09-19-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scools12 View Post
    If Pitino fails to land one in-state recruit for 2020 which is a real possibility. Has another 10th place or lower conference season finish this year how can he keep his job?

Semi Agreed

MN Kid or not, if he finishes 10th in B1G, probably time to move on

Dawson Garcia, if you are out there, you could end a lot of people's misery and this thread by committing to the Gophers this evening.

So, on the off chance you read this, please consider the favor you would be doing for us Minnesota die-hards.

You can always change your mind later.

Quote Originally Posted by scools12 View Post

My evaluation of whether or not i think t is time to move on will be informed by record, conference record, and post season results in both this year and full body of work. It will have nothing to do with how highly his recruits are rated, and will really have nothing to do with what states his recruits are from.

Perhaps on a subconscious level....or perhaps a coincidence...
    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    Are you implying there is a racial component, to it?

Pitino is a a short leash as in 2 years. Not a very short as in one year... Earned it for last season plus the AD likes him.... If he strikes out this year and next with in state kids and fails to make the dance both seasons...he is a gone

I think if he has an average class and another below average season. . . . he is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by theczar View Post
    Pitino is a a short leash as in 2 years. Not a very short as in one year... Earned it for last season plus the AD likes him.... If he strikes out this year and next with in state kids and fails to make the dance both seasons...he is a gone
    Coyle likes Pitino’s personality, but that’s different than thinking he’s the right guy for the job. That “extension” Coyle gave him last year was only a paper extension and actually made it cheaper to fire him

Blog Entries

IF we get Dawson, this is not a bad thing. Can't take them all. Don't want them all.
    Kingdom Warriors

I wonder how posters here would feel if we had filled the class by now with Carlson, Crowl and the Madsen brothers (assuming we would have had to over sign). Would people be happy or would they think we should have waited for Garcia, Walton and Mashburn or Berry?

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    My opinion is when you win for over 20 years, win several conference titles and conference tourney titles, go to three final 4's. Win more games in 20 years than anyone in your conference , you have no scandals as it relates to recruiting or compliance. My opinion, that is a great program. Everyone has their own idea of what great is. What is your definition ?
    Shoebox?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    My evaluation of whether or not i think t is time to move on will be informed by record, conference record, and post season results in both this year and full body of work. It will have nothing to do with how highly his recruits are rated, and will really have nothing to do with what states his recruits are from.
    If only life were that logically straightforward.

But we both know that’s not reality. Emotional trigger points are a thing, and losing in-state kids to places like Wisconsin touches raw nerves.

Not a reason by itself to fire Pitino, but it does factor into emotional decision making when Coyle has to make those decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    If only life were that logically straightforward.

But we both know that’s not reality. Emotional trigger points are a thing, and losing in-state kids to places like Wisconsin touches raw nerves.

Not a reason by itself to fire Pitino, but it does factor into emotional decision making when Coyle has to make those decisions.
    I doubt Coyle is a "fan" in the same way that those of us on this board are. He probably follows bleedsmaroonandgold's reasoning of if the program gets good players and wins lots of games, then it doesn't really matter if a couple of kids who went to high school in Minnesota go to college at the University of Wisconsin. It should be, and probably is, an extremely minor factor if it's a factor at all. Hell Rob Jeter used to coach at Wisconsin. If he really hated Minnesota with all of his heart and soul, he probably wouldn't have taken the same job here. Likewise, I don't think Coyle hates Wisconsin in the same way that you and I do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BarnBurner View Post
    Define what makes a program great.
    There's their many national titles. 1939 (I think?) and umm....

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    There's their many national titles. 1939 (I think?) and umm....
    1941. As relevant as those football national titles.

Consistency and a high level of success makes it a great program. Go try and make 18 tournaments in a row.
    17/19