Five surprising 3-0 Power Five teams (Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Lynn:

Minnesota: The Golden Gophers are the undefeated Power Five team no one is talking about. P.J. Fleck has done a solid job with the program and Minnesota is riding a the wave of a five-game win streak. Not to mention the Golden Gophers have won seven of their last nine games dating back to last season. Minnesota is 3-0 for the third-straight year under Fleck and he has found a way to get it done on offense without his starting quarterback. Sophomore Tanner Morgan has filled in nicely, with 699 yards through the air, seven pass touchdowns and one interception. Minnesota’s offense has three 1,000-yard rushers in its’ backfield and senior Tyler Johnson is arguably one of the Big Ten’s best receivers. As a matter of fact, the Golden Gophers has had a 100-yard receiver in each of their three games. Now Minnesota has a bye-week.

https://stayaliveinpower5.com/2019/09/18/five-surprising-3-0-power-five-teams/

Go Gophers!!

Well, at this point I wouldn't consider Tanner Morgan as the back-up. Our three 1K rushers haven't been able to put much together. Our receivers are possibly the best duo in the B1G. And the jury is out on our massive offensive line.

Surprising team to be 3-0? We beat a very good FCS team, A good Mountain West team and survived not 1, but 2 near miracle touchdowns to win against a G5 team.

Before the season we were predicting to be 3-0 at this point. The only reason it is surprising is the way we won these first three games!

Yep. Positive piece but there isn't much surprising to be 3-0 vs the teams the Gophers have played. If anything, the surprising part is how poorly the Gophers have played on their way to avoiding upsets. I don't think the Gophers deserve to be in the inner circle of water cooler talk these days, unless they can follow up the lackluster non conference schedule with a string of B1G wins.

If the Gophers get to 5-0, 6-0, etc. - then they will no longer be the team that nobody is talking about and the queasy memories of the underwhelming non-conference campaign will be forgotten. If it is a loss to Purdue, it will start to feel just like the last two seasons where the reality of a mediocre team began to set in when the B1G losses followed the non-conference success.

per Lynn:

Minnesota: The Golden Gophers are the undefeated Power Five team no one is talking about. P.J. Fleck has done a solid job with the program and Minnesota is riding a the wave of a five-game win streak. Not to mention the Golden Gophers have won seven of their last nine games dating back to last season. Minnesota is 3-0 for the third-straight year under Fleck and he has found a way to get it done on offense without his starting quarterback. Sophomore Tanner Morgan has filled in nicely, with 699 yards through the air, seven pass touchdowns and one interception. Minnesota’s offense has three 1,000-yard rushers in its’ backfield and senior Tyler Johnson is arguably one of the Big Ten’s best receivers. As a matter of fact, the Golden Gophers has had a 100-yard receiver in each of their three games. Now Minnesota has a bye-week.

Go Gophers!!

Sure is nice to see one of these uninformed and superficial articles to have a positive attitude towards the Gophers! That could indicate a positive bias towards the program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

per Lynn:

Go Gophers!!

I appreciate the positive outlook on the program, but it is frustrating when the author gets both the total passing touchdowns and interceptions incorrect. Maybe you can give the author the benefit of the doubt and think she meant total touchdowns?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tanner-morgan-2.html

Passing Touchdowns - 6
Total Touchdowns - 7
Interceptions - 2

Yep. Positive piece but there isn't much surprising to be 3-0 vs the teams the Gophers have played. If anything, the surprising part is how poorly the Gophers have played on their way to avoiding upsets. I don't think the Gophers deserve to be in the inner circle of water cooler talk these days, unless they can follow up the lackluster non conference schedule with a string of B1G wins.

If the Gophers get to 5-0, 6-0, etc. - then they will no longer be the team that nobody is talking about and the queasy memories of the underwhelming non-conference campaign will be forgotten. If it is a loss to Purdue, it will start to feel just like the last two seasons where the reality of a mediocre team began to set in when the B1G losses followed the non-conference success.

I don't care how they win as long as they find a way to win. It seems like every game has a new hero or two.

I appreciate the positive outlook on the program, but it is frustrating when the author gets both the total passing touchdowns and interceptions incorrect. Maybe you can give the author the benefit of the doubt and think she meant total touchdowns?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tanner-morgan-2.html

Passing Touchdowns - 6
Total Touchdowns - 7
Interceptions - 2

It’s not like there are multiple easy ways to find his stats somewhere. Give her a break!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom