ESPN: Iowa band alleges 'inappropriate actions' at ISU

The second press release is maybe even more confusing than the first.

We still don’t know what happened. And it also doesn’t seem like either school does. But now they are alleging that whatever happened is pretty much standard stuff at an Iowa/Iowa State game, and they are just now beginning to think that they should say something about how sh¡tty it has been. I am I reading that right?

Well yes.... except to say that can't figure out what happened....but that thing they don't know must be.... normal....if we knew what it was...

"I couldn't tell you what happened, when it happened or where it happened," he said. "No one's been able to ascertain that information or provide it to us. We do know that their band traveled here with four police officers: One from the University of Iowa and three deputies from the Polk County Sheriff's office. Our police chief ... has spoken with the police chief at the University of Iowa and not one of those four officers saw anything, reported anything or most importantly had anybody in the band or band directors share anything with them about anything that happened during the day they were here. And those four officers were with them the entire day.

"I'm not here to say something didn't happen because I don't know, but all we know is a press release was issued that alleges something happened ... We're waiting to hear what, where, when and we'll gladly jump in and try to help, but until then it's pretty hard because we don't know what we're looking for."

Eric Bush, director of the Hawkeye Marching Band, said the athletic department is taking the lead on the investigation, but declined to say what happened.

"The Hawkeye Marching Band is a family," he said. "We take care of one another. While we might be saddened and shook up by the stuff that happened, we're going to continue to be a great band and provide excellent entertainment to everyone who watches.

"I don't want to give the details yet because we're still trying to figure out what happened. That's the bottom line. We're collecting information from the students and trying to figure out what events took place."

Broken ribs are really ****ing painful. Difficult to breathe painful. Zero chance the police wouldn’t have been aware of it. Zero.

Sports arenas and surrounds have to be one of the most highly surveiled properties in the US. There are tv cameras, security personnel, ushers, police officers, fans everywhere and nobody saw a large scuffle and an injury that would have resulted in a medical response team and a trip to the hospital? No police were informed.

I think these Facebook folks need to start spilling the beans because the story sounds like 100% bull shyte.

There is a thing called Smart Phones that caught a bus load of Wiscy women taking a leak curbside on the way to Pasadena.

Why hasn't anyone step forward with "evidence"?

Who has more drunken fans - Iowa or Iowa State?

Last edited:

I was assaulted-punched in the chest-by a student while leaning against a corridor wall at Kinnick in 2003. Knocked the wind out of me and I dropped my stadium blanket. A Hawk fan stopped to assist, got security, and explained what she saw.

I basically got the “don’t wear Minnesota gear here” speech.

I guess I carry a grudge, and say “p!ss on ‘em”. We’re even.

I was at Kinnick a couple years ago in the visitors section, and a large number of Iowa students were trying to crowd into our section because there wasn't room in the student section. They were shouting "This is our stadium!" Well, this section wasn't their stadium, that section belonged to the visiting fans who paid for their seats. Security had to be called and we got our section back.

I was assaulted-punched in the chest-by a student while leaning against a corridor wall at Kinnick in 2003. Knocked the wind out of me and I dropped my stadium blanket. A Hawk fan stopped to assist, got security, and explained what she saw.

I basically got the “don’t wear Minnesota gear here” speech.

I guess I carry a grudge, and say “p!ss on ‘em”. We’re even.

About a dozen or so years ago I went to my first and last Gopher game at Camp Randall. Had multiple drunks try to rip off my gopher jersey and a tuba player from the UW band tried to swing and hit me with this instrument as they "marched" by. Luckily he was a stereotypical tuba player so he moved slower than molasses on a January night and missed completely.

What we know: Something did happen and someone did receive medical attention. This has been confirmed. Also that both ADs have been kinda wishy washy about the whole thing.

What we don't know: what the incident was, or what the medical attention consisted of.

What is odd: both ADs are saying "We don't really know what happened, let's move on", there was no report of anything by police (even if injuries were minor like a scrape or something, since it required medical attention you would expect there to be some sort of report from the police), that there isn't any video of the event (band members are told not to have their phones out during certain times, but most have their phones on them and would probably take them out to record during an incident).

I have a feeling people will start spilling the beans on record soon, since the investigation is "over", so hopefully we get some clarity on what happened.

Wild guessing: the medical attention part could've happened after the fact, when they got back to Iowa City.

Like, "hey man are you sure you don't want to get that at least checked out? What if it gets infected or something?" "Ok fine I'll go to urgent care."

I'm imagining like someone throwing something at one of the band members, get gets a little ding or whatever, maybe some blood, thinks nothing of it, doesn't report it.

What we know: Something did happen and someone did receive medical attention. This has been confirmed. Also that both ADs have been kinda wishy washy about the whole thing.

What we don't know: what the incident was, or what the medical attention consisted of.

What is odd: both ADs are saying "We don't really know what happened, let's move on", there was no report of anything by police (even if injuries were minor like a scrape or something, since it required medical attention you would expect there to be some sort of report from the police), that there isn't any video of the event (band members are told not to have their phones out during certain times, but most have their phones on them and would probably take them out to record during an incident).

I have a feeling people will start spilling the beans on record soon, since the investigation is "over", so hopefully we get some clarity on what happened.

You said broken ribs which doesn’t jibe, at all, with the rest of the story. This is usually what happens when someone gets overexcited, tells a tall tale, then backtracks. Let’s not overthink this. Pretty funny, really.

You said broken ribs which doesn’t jibe, at all, with the rest of the story. This is usually what happens when someone gets overexcited, tells a tall tale, then backtracks. Let’s not overthink this. Pretty funny, really.

You are right. I had seen claims of broken ribs, but that doesn't make sense unless the person waited to get home to seek the medical attention, which again doesn't really fit.

However, if we get verifiable proof of broken ribs happening then where does that out us? If it did happen, I would not be surprised if the band member comes forward with proof of the broken ribs sometime in the near future. But then again, maybe it didn't happen and what I read was 100% just a rumor, and the medical attention was for something minor, and after they got home.

It is unusual, but sometimes broken ribs can be unknown for a while. It could be a fan shoved one guy into another person into a person's instrument that hit someone just right to crack a rib. Looked innocuous to the police, person just thought their chest hurt because of the instrument. Got checked out when home, found out it was broken.

It's also possible someone's feelings got hurt, and they went to counseling.

It really is an odd situation, only that the way the two schools talked about it is so confusing. It seems like a statement that doesn't give details but tells what happened in vague terms could be given that doesn't derail the investigation or give out personal information. As it is now, I'm not sure anyone at either school knows what happened, just that something did?

You are right. I had seen claims of broken ribs, but that doesn't make sense unless the person waited to get home to seek the medical attention, which again doesn't really fit.

However, if we get verifiable proof of broken ribs happening then where does that out us? If it did happen, I would not be surprised if the band member comes forward with proof of the broken ribs sometime in the near future. But then again, maybe it didn't happen and what I read was 100% just a rumor, and the medical attention was for something minor, and after they got home.

I've had "cracked" ribs that hurt for a while... I could have taken a buss ride thinking it was something else and then later it hit me that OMG THIS HURTS.

Maybe everyone got “spoofed” and now in damage control mode. Or, stories got inflated along the way and an innocuous shove and possible stumble turned into bruised ribs turned into cracked ribs. Exaggeration.

I know back in the 50s an Iowa fan threw a brick through the windshield of a car with MN plates.

By the way, a bus is a mode of transportation. A buss is a fuse or a kiss.

You lose a game, you don’t loose it.

Let’s eat, grandma versus Let’s eat grandma.

Small details, but relevant.

Here's an article from Iowa's school paper about the new allegations: https://dailyiowan.com/2019/09/20/marching-band-allegations-from-cy-hawk-game-emerge/

I know there's some talk of getting other media involved but I'm not sure where that's at now. From what I understand the member with the broken ribs doesn't want to be named or talk to the media personally so that's holding things back.

A member said that the person whose ribs were broken didn't go to a doctor on Monday. Monday was the first day they knew how bad it was.

So as far as we know, some people did something!

Barta and Pollard must be taking PR lessons from our own Mark Coyle. Lots of words. No factual information. People afterwards more confused than before the statements were given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, finally some details. Hopefully the allegations of a thrown bottle, group sexual assault (groping), and and the shove that resulted in (apparent) rib injury can be caught on camera and the perps found.

The fact nothing was reported to police or the band director on Saturday and the students instead complained to admin on Sunday is still really, really strange. Very odd the student with the injury marched, performed, didn’t go to the Dr. until Monday. Feasible but high pain tolerance. The walking of a fan through the formation and shove is boorish, rude, immature but not sure rises to the level of taking to the news media.

What do the students want to happen? It’s not really clear - step 1 should be police reports so they can review video etc. Very odd to complain to the admin the next day. What’s up with kids these days?

There was similar whining after the Stanford band acted inappropriately during their Rose Bowl liquidation. Something about playing the Farmers Only theme song at the half.

If you can’t articulate what happened 4 days later why is this even in the public sphere? What a dumb fiasco. Grow some skin.

Millenials, am I right? [emoji1782]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ok, finally some details. Hopefully the allegations of a thrown bottle, group sexual assault (groping), and and the shove that resulted in (apparent) rib injury can be caught on camera and the perps found.

The fact nothing was reported to police or the band director on Saturday and the students instead complained to admin on Sunday is still really, really strange. Very odd the student with the injury marched, performed, didn’t go to the Dr. until Monday. Feasible but high pain tolerance. The walking of a fan through the formation and shove is boorish, rude, immature but not sure rises to the level of taking to the news media.

What do the students want to happen? It’s not really clear - step 1 should be police reports so they can review video etc. Very odd to complain to the admin the next day. What’s up with kids these days?
When all authority is being questioned, with or without justification, in the mass media, then it becomes harder to find trustworthy authority to whom incidents can be told.

It also explains jumping up the reporting hierarchy ladder at Iowa, too.

Not saying it's right, but this is pretty similar treatment that I've seen to Gopher fans at Madison and at hockey games in Duluth and St Cloud. Not ok but not shocking in the least.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

When all authority is being questioned, with or without justification, in the mass media, then it becomes harder to find trustworthy authority to whom incidents can be told.

Alternately the folks actually involved don't want to report anything .... and you've got a bunch of folks who maybe saw something or just heard something who can't complain to the police as they've got squat.

They have no authority to do anything. It’s like running home to mom. So my question remains.

Millenials, am I right? [emoji1782]

Not a millenial or gen z thing but yeah, it would help. The guy complaining about a fan, gasp, walking through the formation and bumping or shoving him, as if he were mugged or cold cocked is honestly a little embarrassing.

This is probably why many don’t want alcohol at games, it brings out the mobbish boors and bad behavior (even moreso). I recall alcohol was banned once, and that went well...I don’t know what the answer is - stay in the basement? Finding the perps might help on the fringes in terms of deterrence.

Top Bottom