Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default ESPN: Iowa band alleges 'inappropriate actions' at ISU

per ESPN:

Iowa says it is investigating allegations of "inappropriate actions" made toward student members and staff of the Hawkeye Marching Band during Saturday's game at rival Iowa State, according to a statement released by the school on Monday.

"We have contacted Iowa State Athletics administration and are working to gather additional information," athletic director Gary Barta said in the statement. "Our main priority is the safety of all Iowa students, staff, and coaches when attending events away from Iowa City."

Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard addressed the topic at a news conference Tuesday, saying it pained him that "a pretty vague release [from Iowa] is going to damage" the national exposure that the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry received from Saturday's game.

"I couldn't tell you what happened, when it happened or where it happened," he said. "No one's been able to ascertain that information or provide it to us. We do know that their band traveled here with four police officers: One from the University of Iowa and three deputies from the Polk County Sheriff's office. Our police chief ... has spoken with the police chief at the University of Iowa and not one of those four officers saw anything, reported anything or most importantly had anybody in the band or band directors share anything with them about anything that happened during the day they were here. And those four officers were with them the entire day.

"I'm not here to say something didn't happen because I don't know, but all we know is a press release was issued that alleges something happened ... We're waiting to hear what, where, when and we'll gladly jump in and try to help, but until then it's pretty hard because we don't know what we're looking for."

Eric Bush, director of the Hawkeye Marching Band, said the athletic department is taking the lead on the investigation, but declined to say what happened.

"The Hawkeye Marching Band is a family," he said. "We take care of one another. While we might be saddened and shook up by the stuff that happened, we're going to continue to be a great band and provide excellent entertainment to everyone who watches.

"I don't want to give the details yet because we're still trying to figure out what happened. That's the bottom line. We're collecting information from the students and trying to figure out what events took place."

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...te-actions-isu

Go Gophers!!

Blog Entries

Based on the ISU AD's statement, I'm imagining this is a whole bunch of nothing. Based on that, I have a few theories:

"Someone in the ISU crowd called us a bunch of pig-f'ers. Not EVERYONE in the band has f'ed a pig!!!!!"

"Multiple fans extended their middle finger in our general direction and said we sucked. Several of our members cried."

"The fans surrounding us CHEERED when something bad happened to Iowa!!!!!"

From what I heard elsewhere on the internet, a black trumpet player was called the N word by ISU fans, and also beer cans were thrown (and a possible broken bus window) at the band. Obviously all that are rumors so far, so we'll see where the investigation goes.

IMO the Iowa AD wouldn't be investigating if there wasn't something substantial that allegedly happened. Also the ISU SD did not claim the officers were with the band at all times, so the fact that they did not report anything just means nothing happened while there was a police presence.

College people had a rough time on a road rivalry game, breaking news

Remember when members of our band got in a fight with Herky at Kinnick and broke his head? Maybe our band could teach the Iowa band some street fighting skills.
    Jaws was never my scene, and I don't like Star Wars.

I am sensing a series with Iowa State in 2028/2029.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per ESPN:

Iowa says it is investigating allegations of "inappropriate actions" made toward student members and staff of the Hawkeye Marching Band during Saturday's game at rival Iowa State, according to a statement released by the school on Monday.

"We have contacted Iowa State Athletics administration and are working to gather additional information," athletic director Gary Barta said in the statement. "Our main priority is the safety of all Iowa students, staff, and coaches when attending events away from Iowa City."

Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard addressed the topic at a news conference Tuesday, saying it pained him that "a pretty vague release [from Iowa] is going to damage" the national exposure that the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry received from Saturday's game.

"I couldn't tell you what happened, when it happened or where it happened," he said. "No one's been able to ascertain that information or provide it to us. We do know that their band traveled here with four police officers: One from the University of Iowa and three deputies from the Polk County Sheriff's office. Our police chief ... has spoken with the police chief at the University of Iowa and not one of those four officers saw anything, reported anything or most importantly had anybody in the band or band directors share anything with them about anything that happened during the day they were here. And those four officers were with them the entire day.

"I'm not here to say something didn't happen because I don't know, but all we know is a press release was issued that alleges something happened ... We're waiting to hear what, where, when and we'll gladly jump in and try to help, but until then it's pretty hard because we don't know what we're looking for."

Eric Bush, director of the Hawkeye Marching Band, said the athletic department is taking the lead on the investigation, but declined to say what happened.

"The Hawkeye Marching Band is a family," he said. "We take care of one another. While we might be saddened and shook up by the stuff that happened, we're going to continue to be a great band and provide excellent entertainment to everyone who watches.

"I don't want to give the details yet because we're still trying to figure out what happened. That's the bottom line. We're collecting information from the students and trying to figure out what events took place."

Go Gophers!!
    Is this a joke?

If nobody ended up in an ambulance or med tent, emergency room, or in handcuffs nothing “significant” happened.

If they aren’t getting corroborating witnesses (immediately after the fact) about any alleged incidents that’s pretty strong evidence...it probably never happened. My BS meter is pinging.

Not sure what the purpose of the statement is if they can't really tell us anything.

I heard elsewhere that a band member was assaulted and injured badly enough that they needed medical attention. If what I heard is true it's far from the worst incident with a visiting band but still serious and should end with criminal charges if they can find who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Taji34 View Post
    From what I heard elsewhere on the internet, a black trumpet player was called the N word by ISU fans, and also beer cans were thrown (and a possible broken bus window) at the band. Obviously all that are rumors so far, so we'll see where the investigation goes.

IMO the Iowa AD wouldn't be investigating if there wasn't something substantial that allegedly happened. Also the ISU SD did not claim the officers were with the band at all times, so the fact that they did not report anything just means nothing happened while there was a police presence.
    Actually that’s not true. The IState AD stated that the officers were with the band the entire day. Sad that anything happened.

I was assaulted-punched in the chest-by a student while leaning against a corridor wall at Kinnick in 2003. Knocked the wind out of me and I dropped my stadium blanket. A Hawk fan stopped to assist, got security, and explained what she saw.

I basically got the “don’t wear Minnesota gear here” speech.

I guess I carry a grudge, and say “p!ss on ‘em”. We’re even.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Is Lois Feldman in trouble again?
    I choose to play stupid, but trust me, I know everything you think I don't.

Shades of the Damien Wilson parking lot fiasco where IIRC he ended up being exonerated after surveillance footage showed a belligerent fan getting in front of his truck. The wacky theories about gunslinging, throwing objects etc were flying at the time. Several already had him convicted and in prison...

Update on ESPN:

“Athletic directors from Iowa and Iowa State issued a joint statement Wednesday, saying their marching bands "have been the target of unacceptable behavior" during games at both schools in recent years.

The collaboration came in response to a news release issued on Monday by Iowa athletic director Gary Barta, which alleged that "inappropriate actions" were made toward staff members and students of the Hawkeye marching band at last Saturday's rivalry game in Ames.

"Both the University of Iowa and Iowa State University are committed to providing a safe environment for everyone attending events on their respective campuses," Barta and Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard said in the news release. "This includes members of the school's marching bands. Unfortunately, both the Hawkeye and Cyclone marching bands have been the target of unacceptable behavior at football games in Iowa City and Ames in recent years. Some of the conduct directed at the students in our respective marching bands recently has been rude, vulgar, and in some cases, violent.”

"We should all feel embarrassed when students in the bands don't feel safe when performing at an away game," the statement said. "Each of our athletics departments is committed to doing whatever is necessary to improve the environment for visiting school marching bands in the future. A significant part of the solution is insisting our fans help address this issue by showing more respect to our visitors. We owe it to these hardworking performers to have a safe stage on which they can showcase their spirit and talent."

Eric Bush, director of the Hawkeye Marching Band, said earlier this week that the Hawkeye Marching Band is a family. "We take care of one another," he said. "While we might be saddened and shook up by the stuff that happened, we're going to continue to be a great band and provide excellent entertainment to everyone who watches."

Looks like the ADs decided it was time to take the high road and try to reduce tensions. Good for them.

Last edited by MrC; 09-18-2019 at 08:28 PM.

so I'll just say this...f' them...I'm sure their ****ty little squawkeye band members are no angels. Take it and STFU. That's all.