Mike Leach was asked which P12 mascot would win battle, his answer didn't disappoint

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He was deemed too risky at the time, but he is a guy that would have been able to turn the Gopher football program around. He has been able to win pretty big at a place (Washington St) a lot of guys failed at....I really wanted him when he got fired.

With that said, Jerry Kill came in and did a lot better than I thought he would do and he knows how to coach football. We didn't know about all the health issues that were his downfall.

I really hope Fleck works out here and is successful here for a long time or the choice to go with Kill instead of Leach turns out to be another "We could have had Bobby Ross (who would go on to win a national championship at Georgia Tech) but we went with John Gutekunst instead!!!"

We can't look back though. I am all in on PJ Fleck and hope he can get it done here bigtime!!

He would’ve been great. Not sure he could win big ten but we would win 8+ every year and he would be entertaining enough to capture a ton of attention in this market.

KFAN might like covering him (his personality) more than they like covering the Vikings.

And that begs the question, what BIG coach would you like to see answer that question and what BIG mascot would he say? Pitino would be fun but not sure about PJ. Afraid our Goldy wouldn't be rated too highly.

He would’ve been great. Not sure he could win big ten but we would win 8+ every year and he would be entertaining enough to capture a ton of attention in this market.

KFAN might like covering him (his personality) more than they like covering the Vikings.

I love the way he coaches, but he needs to be as far away from major news organizations as possible.
Drama follows him wherever he goes. Pullman is the perfect place for Leach.
He wouldn't survive in the Twin Cities market.

B1G mascot rankings: Based on which would win mano a mano

East:
1. Knights (Rutgers) Knights have more advanced weapons than Spartans.
2. Spartans (Michigan State) I'll take the Spartan and his sword against a lion.
3. Nittany Lions (Penn State) Lion definitely takes the Wolverine out.
4. Wolverines (Michigan) Fiesty little rodent takes out the hick farmer from Indiana. However, if this were Wolverine from X-Men this would totally be different!
5. Hoosiers (Indiana) Farmer in the dell can probably make soup out of the turtle.
6. Terrapins (Maryland) I'm pretty sure Terrapins eat buckeyes if they get the chance.
7. Buckeyes (Ohio State) It's a flower! What is it going to do? Give allergies to the others?

West:
1. Illini (Illinois) The Indians have it over the rest of this pedestrian group. How do they keep this mascot when UND had to give up Sioux?
2. Boilermakers (Purdue) I'm assuming this is the burly guy with the pipe and not the beverage. Either would lay out the Cornhusker.
3. Cornhusker (Nebraska) I'm pretty sure farmers kill all the remaining pests on this list to save their crops and animals.
4. Wildcat (Northwestern) Not sure if a Wildcat could kill a large bird of prey, but it's a Hawkeye, not an eagle.
5. Hawkeye (Iowa) Unfortunately, birds of prey have staple diets of rodents.
6. Badger (Wisconsin) Badgers are supposed to be ferocious when cornered but the only mascot it can beat in this list is the gopher.
7. Gophers (Minnesota) Only chance for the Gopher would be the "Caddyshack" Gopher! But he was more of a survivor than a fighter.

Championship:
Illini over Knights - Chance are the Illini have rifles and that beats armor every time. Besides, you didn't really think I'd pick Rutgers to win!

He was deemed too risky at the time, but he is a guy that would have been able to turn the Gopher football program around. He has been able to win pretty big at a place (Washington St) a lot of guys failed at....I really wanted him when he got fired.

With that said, Jerry Kill came in and did a lot better than I thought he would do and he knows how to coach football. We didn't know about all the health issues that were his downfall.

I really hope Fleck works out here and is successful here for a long time or the choice to go with Kill instead of Leach turns out to be another "We could have had Bobby Ross (who would go on to win a national championship at Georgia Tech) but we went with John Gutekunst instead!!!"

We can't look back though. I am all in on PJ Fleck and hope he can get it done here bigtime!!

"We" did know about Kill's health concerns. That is why he was available. We were willing to take the risk. Not to hijack the thread, but Kill is a textbook example of life being unfair.

East:
2. Spartans (Michigan State) I'll take the Spartan and his sword against a lion.
4. Wolverines (Michigan) Fiesty little rodent takes out the hick farmer from Indiana. However, if this were Wolverine from X-Men this would totally be different!
5. Hoosiers (Indiana) Farmer in the dell can probably make soup out of the turtle.
6. Terrapins (Maryland) I'm pretty sure Terrapins eat buckeyes if they get the chance.
7. Buckeyes (Ohio State) It's a flower! What is it going to do? Give allergies to the others?

West:
1. Illini (Illinois) The Indians have it over the rest of this pedestrian group. How do they keep this mascot when UND had to give up Sioux?
2. Boilermakers (Purdue) I'm assuming this is the burly guy with the pipe and not the beverage. Either would lay out the Cornhusker.
3. Cornhusker (Nebraska) I'm pretty sure farmers kill all the remaining pests on this list to save their crops and animals.
4. Wildcat (Northwestern) Not sure if a Wildcat could kill a large bird of prey, but it's a Hawkeye, not an eagle.
6. Badger (Wisconsin) Badgers are supposed to be ferocious when cornered but the only mascot it can beat in this list is the gopher.
7. Gophers (Minnesota) Only chance for the Gopher would be the "Caddyshack" Gopher! But he was more of a survivor than a fighter.

Championship:
Illini over Knights - Chance are the Illini have rifles and that beats armor every time. Besides, you didn't really think I'd pick Rutgers to win!

It's a nut!

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/information-about-buckeye-nuts

East:

West:

Championship:

Nice analysis but you're underestimating the mascot from Ann Arbor. It's not a "feisty little rodent."

The wolverine is a solitary, nocturnal hunter, preying on all manner of game and not hesitating to attack sheep, deer, or small bears. Wolverines are also adept scavengers, and thus a large portion of their diet comes from scavenging the carcasses of elk, caribou, and other animals. No animal except humans hunts the wolverine.

Nice analysis but you're underestimating the mascot from Ann Arbor. It's not a "feisty little rodent."

The wolverine is a solitary, nocturnal hunter, preying on all manner of game and not hesitating to attack sheep, deer, or small bears. Wolverines are also adept scavengers, and thus a large portion of their diet comes from scavenging the carcasses of elk, caribou, and other animals. No animal except humans hunts the wolverine.

He might have underestimated it a little but it still would end up in the same spot on the list. I will take a Lion against a Wolverine head to head and the others at the top have weapons.

Funny that two of the worst teams in the conference have arguably the toughest mascots.

It's a nut that a gopher can eat. We win (or at least we don't come in last place).

I would like to think a gopher could take a Terrapin as well. Would be a really strange fight but I think the Gopher would win. Don't like our chances against any of the rest outside of the bottom two in the East.

All that said.....if we are talking the Gopher from the movie Caddyshack....well then all bets are off because that thing was a genius.

I would like to think a gopher could take a Terrapin as well. Would be a really strange fight but I think the Gopher would win. Don't like our chances against any of the rest outside of the bottom two in the East.

All that said.....if we are talking the Gopher from the movie Caddyshack....well then all bets are off because that thing was a genius.

I feel like we're forgetting the "Golden" part of our name. A Golden Gopher would have to be some mythical type creature as well, so who can possibly know the Pikachu type powers it may wield? Furthermore, while gold may be considered a soft metal, it is a metal never-the-less and would be rather troublesome to eat or otherwise pierce. No, I am certain the Golden Gopher would be a formidable foe for any of those other mascots, especially in the waning moments of said contest.

I feel like we're forgetting the "Golden" part of our name. A Golden Gopher would have to be some mythical type creature as well, so who can possibly know the Pikachu type powers it may wield? Furthermore, while gold may be considered a soft metal, it is a metal never-the-less and would be rather troublesome to eat or otherwise pierce. No, I am certain the Golden Gopher would be a formidable foe for any of those other mascots, especially in the waning moments of said contest.

We are also forgetting that a Gopher is a rodent. Rodents always have strength in numbers! Gophers could always infest there venue!:clap:

I love the way he coaches, but he needs to be as far away from major news organizations as possible.

Drama doesn’t really follow him.
No drama in Iowa, Kentucky, Oklahoma, valdosta
Fake drama at tech.
No drama at wazzu.

The only drama he has ever had was ESPN believing a made up story by an employees kid.

East:

West:

Championship:

Michigan and Illinois have nicknames but they do not have mascots.

in response to leach's comments: trojans did not fight on horseback, they did not have stirrups. and the trojans and greeks hated archers, they thought they were cowardly. paris was an archer.

The liberal haters here in Minnesota would be all over him like flys on sh*t.

in response to leach's comments: trojans did not fight on horseback, they did not have stirrups. and the trojans and greeks hated archers, they thought they were cowardly. paris was an archer.

I think he is referring to a Trojan horse.

Which is a bad reference because they were beaten by the horse

If I were the top QB recruit in the nation I would go play for Mike Leach. I think I would love him as my coach where I might hate most other football coach types. Plus, like a billion passes.

I think he is referring to a Trojan horse.

Which is a bad reference because they were beaten by the horse

Maybe he was referring to a condom. In which case a Gopher could chew through that thing easily.

And now the epic collapse is Mason like.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom