Five CFB Coaches Already On the Hot Seat (Jeff Brohm, Purdue; Chip Kelly, UCLA)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Kyle:

Jeff Brohm, Purdue
Brohm has, at the very least, gotten people talking about Boilermaker football again. In 2017, the former XFL great guided the program to their first winning season and postseason victory since 2011. History failed to repeat itself in his sophomore campaign, but Purdue still got people talking with a win over Ohio State that might've caused seismic changes to the 2018 College Football Playoff picture. This season, however, has provided cause for concern. The Boilermakers opened the year by blowing a big lead to Nevada and looked lost last weekend against TCU. Purdue management has been patient with coaches (Danny Hope and Darrell Hazell each got four seasons), but with big talents on display, impatience could get the best of them.

Chip Kelly, UCLA
Normally, you're supposed to wait until the third year to add logs to the fire under the hot seat, but the Bruins can't afford to tolerate much more of this. Kelly's 3-9 debut was understandable, considering UCLA was one of the youngest teams in the nation operating under a new (and unconventional) coach. They did manage to cap it off positively with a win over USC, but it has been downhill since. In 2019, they've fallen to AAC Cincinnati for the second straight year and lost a visit from San Diego State by two possessions. No one was expecting a miracle last week, but a 48-14 shellacking at the hands of Oklahoma was even more listless than the scoreboard made it seem. Kelly needs to start putting together some more consistent result, but the road doesn't get any easier with a visit to ranked Washington State looming this weekend.

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/five-cfb-coaches-already-on-the-hot-seat

Go Gophers!!

We really need to beat Purdue on the road! And not to make the coaches seat hotter but for us!

Kelly is an interesting situation. He left for the NFL because he detests the recruiting aspect of CFB. His revolutionary offense is now pretty common. I wonder if this is just a paycheck.

This is their revenge game. They have a lot to play for. So does the Gophers.

This is a pivotal game.

Kelly is an interesting situation. He left for the NFL because he detests the recruiting aspect of CFB. His revolutionary offense is now pretty common. I wonder if this is just a paycheck.

Chip Kelly is prove that a big name dpes npt automatically translate into instant success

Jeff Brohm's heart is set on his alma mater Louisville. He did not/would not take the job at present because there is a dumpster fire with the AD.

They had a 25th 2019 Recruiting Class. Currently, they have a 31st 2020 Recruiting Class just ahead of the Gophers.

Lol that "Kyle" from The Big lead thinks Jeff Brohm is on the hot seat. Is he aware that Brohm has a 7-year deal for $29,000,000???

Sometimes the deluge of crappy sportswriters online makes me wonder if I could be a better sportswriter. It wouldn't be that hard -- in this case the bar is very low.

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...ceives-two-year-contract-extension/552018002/

Correct. There is no way Brohm is on the hot seat. He'd have to go 5-7 for about 4 more years. Purdue will be patient. His recruiting will likely pay off.

Any talk of any coach being on the hot seat before the end of year 4 is just sad. Demanding the quick fix just forces coaches to cut corners and break rules in order to try and win now. Far better to give them some time to actually build things the way they want to and not obsess about winning right away.

The quick turnaround in basketball is possible because it only takes one or two great players, but football is a much different beast. Takes time to do it right in football.

Purdue has been recruiting well and I don't see any way Brohm goes from hot commodity last year to hot seat this year in a season when everybody knew they were hit hard by graduation.

I do think Brohm and Fleck will always be connected. Word is there is no love lost between them. They both took their jobs in the B1G at the same time. Their programs will therefore be naturally compared. Brohm jumped out to an early lead in 2017, Fleck seemed to even things up in 2018 and as many have already said: this year's game will be pivotal. That will be for many reasons. There is a lot of doubt surrounding the Gophers right now. The team has been "off" and hasn't lived up to off season expectations despite being 3-0. Purdue will set the tone for where this team ends up. Division contender or disappointment scrapping to get a bowl game.

Chip Kelly is his own worst enemy. He refuses to use the offense he used at Oregon to make a name for himself and is trying to use the NFL offenses which got him fired.

If it ain't broke don't break it. He needs to watch High School Musical and "Stick to what he knows".

Purdue has been recruiting well and I don't see any way Brohm goes from hot commodity last year to hot seat this year in a season when everybody knew they were hit hard by graduation.

I do think Brohm and Fleck will always be connected. Word is there is no love lost between them. They both took their jobs in the B1G at the same time. Their programs will therefore be naturally compared. Brohm jumped out to an early lead in 2017, Fleck seemed to even things up in 2018 and as many have already said: this year's game will be pivotal. That will be for many reasons. There is a lot of doubt surrounding the Gophers right now. The team has been "off" and hasn't lived up to off season expectations despite being 3-0. Purdue will set the tone for where this team ends up. Division contender or disappointment scrapping to get a bowl game.

There is a lot of doubt surrounding both teams right now. The Gophers due to looking shaky during the 3-0 start and Purdue for getting off to a 1-2 start. Would definitely rather be in our position right now as opposed to theirs. Falling to 1-3 in their first 4 games would make the prospect of getting to a bowl game much more difficult.

Purdue not only kept him, but kept him from taking an opening at former team Louisville.

He isn't going anywhere, any time soon.

And Purdue will be looking to get the season "back on track" with a big home win over 3-0 Minnesota. And looking to repay the Gophers for the embarrassing loss last year.

They both have BYE weeks heading into this game.

Chip Kelly is prove that a big name dpes npt automatically translate into instant success

Jeff Brohm's heart is set on his alma mater Louisville. He did not/would not take the job at present because there is a dumpster fire with the AD.

They had a 25th 2019 Recruiting Class. Currently, they have a 31st 2020 Recruiting Class just ahead of the Gophers.

They’re “just ahead” of ours but have accomplished that with 7 fewer recruits. It’s likely that by the end of the recruiting cycle they will blow us out of the water- at least on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"considering UCLA was one of the youngest teams in the nation operating under a new (and unconventional) coach."

Sounds like Minnesota

Any talk of any coach being on the hot seat before the end of year 4 is just sad. Demanding the quick fix just forces coaches to cut corners and break rules in order to try and win now. Far better to give them some time to actually build things the way they want to and not obsess about winning right away.

The quick turnaround in basketball is possible because it only takes one or two great players, but football is a much different beast. Takes time to do it right in football.

I was pretty satisfied (and still am) with the decision regarding brewster before the end of year 4. The results were bad enough for a firing, even though those results included 7 and 6 win seasons. Two mediocre seasons wasn't enough to make me patient through the obvious regression in year 4, and other than after the NMSU loss, I dont know that I ever looked back and wondered if we jumped the gun.

Last edited:

They’re “just ahead” of ours but have accomplished that with 7 fewer recruits. It’s likely that by the end of the recruiting cycle they will blow us out of the water- at least on paper.

Yeah but we have two of the top 3 players in the country (of Germany and Netherlands respectively). Not to mention all of our guys are going to jump to 4 stars by the end of the year thereby making it the best back to back to back recruiting class in school history (of the internet era).

Yeah but we have two of the top 3 players in the country (of Germany and Netherlands respectively). Not to mention all of our guys are going to jump to 4 stars by the end of the year thereby making it the best back to back to back recruiting class in school history (of the internet era).

You know CBD oil gives the same benefits without the “high,” right?

Kelly just threw a chunk of dry ice on his hot seat.

Kelly just threw a chunk of dry ice on his hot seat.
He sure did. I bet the defensive coordinator for Washington State replaced him on that hot seat after unranked 0-3 UCLA put up 67 points against them....

Top Bottom