Purdue Injury Update.

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
Following Purdue's Tuesday bye-week practice, Boilermaker coach Jeff Brohm met with local media and updated a few of his team's higher-profile injury situations.

A quick recap:

• On quarterback Elijah Sindelar, who missed the TCU game with a concussion, he remains in the protocol and will continue to be monitored. "Hopefully sometime soon," Brohm said, regarding clearance.

• On freshman wide receiver David Bell, who injured his shoulder vs. TCU: Brohm said Bell will "work hard to get back" and that Purdue is "hopeful to get him back" for the Minnesota game after the bye week.

Bell was at practice Tuesday but did not participate.

• On defensive tackle Lorenzo Neal: Per Neal, via Brohm, the Penn State game seems to be his target date for his season debut. The senior defensive tackle has yet to play this season after injuring his ACL in the regular season finale at Indiana last November.

• On wide receiver Jared Sparks: His ankle injury "may take a little time."

• On offensive lineman Matt McCann, who missed TCU with an ankle injury: "We're hopeful to get him back (for Minnesota), but he's still working on rehab, trying to get better and we'll see where he is."

• On running back Tario Fuller, who's recovering from a broken jaw: "I don't know a time frame yet, but he has a ways to go."

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/updates-jeff-brohm-after-purdue-s-tuesday-practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sounds like QB Sindelar, OL McCann and WR Bell have a good chance to play against us but WR Sparks, DT Neal, RB Fuller probably won't play along with LB Bailey.

Gophers have been fortunate to not have any major injuries during the 3 OOC games except for Annexstad but most preferred Morgan anyways.

That fact that Sindelar is still in the concussion protocol 10 days later is a little pesky.

That fact that Sindelar is still in the concussion protocol 10 days later is a little pesky.

Concussions have no consistency in how long players take to clear protocol. Some people are fine the next day, and occasionally you'll find someone who has a concussion and is never the same again.

Gophers have been lucky so far this season. It sounds like a lot of the guys that have missed time were held out to be on the safe side as the team builds up for the conference season. Playing through pesky injury will be the norm from here on out.

I agree, to still be in concussion protocol this long after the incident is a bit concerning for their QB, although if I were to bet - I'd say he'll be playing against the Gophers. Gopher pass defense will get a huge test.

A Morneau like concussion recovery time-line for Sindelar would not bother me at all!

Gophers have been lucky so far this season. It sounds like a lot of the guys that have missed time were held out to be on the safe side as the team builds up for the conference season. Playing through pesky injury will be the norm from here on out.

I agree, to still be in concussion protocol this long after the incident is a bit concerning for their QB, although if I were to bet - I'd say he'll be playing against the Gophers. Gopher pass defense will get a huge test.

What we don't really know is how many other concussions Sindelar has had during his career, assuming this is not his first could certainly explain why it would take longer for him to get back. Won't be surprised if he is under center when we play though.

Neal still being out is good news for the Gophers. I can recall him being problematic in previous matchups against them. If I am thinking of the right guy he is a pretty solid DT.

Have to think Sindelar will be back. I’m not sure that’s all bad. He like to gunsling it and is prone to turning it over. OTOH will our guys be able to defend vs a heavy pass attack? We’re going to find out.

Huge game for both teams. Chili’s already hot 10 days out.

Have to think Sindelar will be back. I’m not sure that’s all bad. He like to gunsling it and is prone to turning it over. OTOH will our guys be able to defend vs a heavy pass attack? We’re going to find out.

Huge game for both teams. Chili’s already hot 10 days out.

Absolutely huge game. Purdue trying to get season back on track, and show some improvement over the last two years. Gophers trying to prove they're for real, and not suffer another melt-down as soon as the first Big Ten game comes around.

A Morneau like concussion recovery time-line for Sindelar would not bother me at all!

It would bother me. Hopefully he gets well soon. Concussions suck and I wish him the best.

A timely, relevant injury update. Thanks PF!

I’m assuming he plays. I’m not aware of concussion history but last week, Brohm described it as a slight one with caveat he’s no expert so TCU prepares for both - which we will end up doing as well as long as he keeps that narrative going.

Interesting to note that he had a 6th year granted to him for 2020. Seems to be a pretty tough kid too given 2 years ago he played with a torn ACL last 4 games. I haven’t watched Purdue this season but have read OL has been an issue first few games. For those of you that have seen them, is that an accurate assessment?

I’m assuming he plays. I’m not aware of concussion history but last week, Brohm described it as a slight one with caveat he’s no expert so TCU prepares for both - which we will end up doing as well as long as he keeps that narrative going.

Interesting to note that he had a 6th year granted to him for 2020. Seems to be a pretty tough kid too given 2 years ago he played with a torn ACL last 4 games. I haven’t watched Purdue this season but have read OL has been an issue first few games. For those of you that have seen them, is that an accurate assessment?

Yes, they are very weak at O-line as well as at RB. They have good receivers although two of their top 4 guys may or not play, a good starting QB but poor backup, and a very good TE. They are also very weak against the run. And Nevada and Vandy put up quite a few yards through the air as well. So really their pass catches and starting QB are good but everything else needs work.

I'm sure part of the reason they have looked poor is they have been playing against SEC and Big 12 opponents. Probably good indicators Purdue will struggle in the B1G as well, but I'm guessing they wouldn't look like they have so many weaknesses if they had played all MAC and FCS foes so far. I get it that Vanderbilt is not a juggernaut but given the early season Gopher troubles, I'm not sure I could confidently say that would be a victory had they been the opponent instead of Georgia Southern.

Nevada 34
Purdue 31

Oregon 77
Nevada 6

Nevada 34
Purdue 31

Oregon 77
Nevada 6

Vanderbilt 24
Purdue 42

Vanderbilt 6
Georgia 30

Actually, although I am taking the "counter point" stance here, I do feel like Purdue's awful loss in their bowl game, followed by a really bad loss to Nevada (as you pointed out), raises the suspicions that they might be in the midst of a problematic regression after their surprising 2017 and big victory over Ohio State in 2018. The possibility is there for our shaky Gophers to go in there and "get well" after a very concerning non-conference portion of the season. The Gophers are sooooo overdue for a laugher, it would be fun to have a relaxing road win and it is at least possible if some stuff gets figured out over the bye week.

Just keep in mind, Purdue also has the same BYE week (this week), to figure things out and get healthy.

Yes, they are very weak at O-line as well as at RB. They have good receivers although two of their top 4 guys may or not play, a good starting QB but poor backup, and a very good TE. They are also very weak against the run. And Nevada and Vandy put up quite a few yards through the air as well. So really their pass catches and starting QB are good but everything else needs work.

I noticed their TE looked really good the three minute replay of their game vs TCU. Hopefully Kamal is fully healthy as I think he covers Tight Ends well.

I'm a bit more concerned about that kid's health than our advantage here :(

I'm a bit more concerned about that kid's health than our advantage here :(

This. Two weeks in protocol already, I believe. If he can't go Saturday thats 3+ weeks. Have to wonder if he is ever going to feel good again.

Geez. The concussion protocol seems to have a small middle ground. People either bounce back right away within a couple days or it drags on for weeks and raises concerns. With this news, this one seems to have passed beyond the few days mark, through that small middle ground, and may now be getting into that concerning multi-week type situation.

Symptoms can also be different. Is it no-contact for him but he can continue to study film, and run... or is it a shut down type situation where he needs darkened rooms, and can't practice at all? If he hasn't practiced at all, it might take a bit to get him back into game shape even if he is past the symptoms.

Geez. The concussion protocol seems to have a small middle ground. People either bounce back right away within a couple days or it drags on for weeks and raises concerns. With this news, this one seems to have passed beyond the few days mark, through that small middle ground, and may now be getting into that concerning multi-week type situation.

Symptoms can also be different. Is it no-contact for him but he can continue to study film, and run... or is it a shut down type situation where he needs darkened rooms, and can't practice at all? If he hasn't practiced at all, it might take a bit to get him back into game shape even if he is past the symptoms.

SEPTEMBER 9 - BROHM
Purdue quarterback Elijah Sindelar has been diagnosed with a concussion and it is unclear if he will be cleared to play Saturday when the Boilermakers host TCU.

The fifth-year senior went to the team's medical tent after a 7-yard run on third-and-14 in Saturday's win over Vanderbilt. It was Purdue's last offensive play of the day.

Coach Jeff Brohm told reporters Monday he believed Sindelar had a "slight concussion" and would be monitored in the concussion protocol.

If he cannot play Saturday, freshman Jack Plummer would make his first career start against a Horned Frogs' defense that is traditionally ranked among the nation's best. Plummer has not thrown a pass in his college career.

MY COMMENTS: This is how concussions work. If Brohm originally said it was a "slight concussion", and now he's not saying anything - he's not playing on Saturday. The thing that is a bit scary in all this is he seemed to get better Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and then Thursday came and he regressed.

The land of concussions seems to be such a mystery.

You have folks who take a pounding and a long career and don't seem to have life long problems.

Other folks it sets in early in life :(

There have been some studies that show "concussions" themselves may just be the most obvious indicator of brain trauma... but not at all a good indicator of issues.

Top Bottom