Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    That is a pretty *** ****** ****** ******* Good idea, Good. As an aside, I would like to compliment you as a ***** ***** ******** ****** *******, ****** and ******. Your ******* posts are more funny than a **** eating, ****** ****** *** of a ******* ****** ******. Also don’t let the *** ****** ****** like *******, **** and especially ******** dissuade you from chiming in. Thanks, ****** *****. (And I call you that endearingly.)
    Calling him a Badger Lover was pretty low.

The gsufans board was started in 1997 when GSU was FCS. Their are only 3,652 compared to the Gopher board's 8600 members. The owner of GSUFANS.com gets advertising payments but also puts up an annual fund raiser. You do not have to pay to be a member. Many GSU fans contribute anywhere between 30, 60 or even 100 dollars a year. Still thats not a lot of money when consider E22, the owner of the board, has a full time job and still has to deal with the upkeep of the board and the problems that arise. www.GSUFANS.com is the largest & best GSU sports forum on the net.
    Last edited by GSUsTALON; 09-18-2019 at 08:35 PM.
    Georgia Southern Option Football - often out weighed but seldom out played!
    www.gsufans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bigtenchamps1899 View Post
    thank you for finally responding to questions about behind the scenes stuff. i have had a continuous question that i have asked numerous times: who are the moderators? i don't mean what are their real names and what do they do for a living, but what are their monikers outside of their moderation duties? every site i have ever been on from reddit to youtube to other message boards always make their moderators public (by their posting moniker). this keeps any accusation of capricious moderation at bay. which is something that i am surprised is so dismissed by the posters on this board. so many people here have been banned, temporarily or permanently, and the sides are so drastically drawn between posters here, that i'm surprised that no one other than me has ever asked "who is pushing the ban button?" and "how are the purposely vague rules of the board applied?"

i have my suspicions about certain posters who likely also have moderation duties. and i have had suspicions of capricious and overzealous moderation at times. i wonder what the large number of posters on the site as a whole would think if they knew who was moderating. because, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, much of the moderation on this site is quiet and i would bet there is a lot of moderation that gets missed by the average poster. i think it should be more transparent.
    Lol. Who exactly do you think has been wrongfully banned? Every person that I can think of that has been banned has made the board better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Here's a money-making scheme for the Hole:

have a deal where, if you make a large enough donation, you have the right to ban a poster you dislike for a certain period of time. In short, pay to have someone booted from the site.

can you imagine the bidding war to have certain posters removed? and which poster would people most be willing to pay to have removed?

I know it will never happen, but it's fun to imagine.
    Iím in.

thank you for finally responding to questions about behind the scenes stuff. i have had a continuous question that i have asked numerous times: who are the moderators? i don't mean what are their real names and what do they do for a living, but what are their monikers outside of their moderation duties? every site i have ever been on from reddit to youtube to other message boards always make their moderators public (by their posting moniker). this keeps any accusation of capricious moderation at bay. which is something that i am surprised is so dismissed by the posters on this board. so many people here have been banned, temporarily or permanently, and the sides are so drastically drawn between posters here, that i'm surprised that no one other than me has ever asked "who is pushing the ban button?" and "how are the purposely vague rules of the board applied?"

i have my suspicions about certain posters who likely also have moderation duties. and i have had suspicions of capricious and overzealous moderation at times. i wonder what the large number of posters on the site as a whole would think if they knew who was moderating. because, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, much of the moderation on this site is quiet and i would bet there is a lot of moderation that gets missed by the average poster. i think it should be more transparent.
    Itís just a message board man lol

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Here's a money-making scheme for the Hole:

have a deal where, if you make a large enough donation, you have the right to ban a poster you dislike for a certain period of time. In short, pay to have someone booted from the site.
    I thought of this 2-3 years ago. Seriously. Offer the mods a certain dollar amount to ban someone. But decided against it. Besides, why give someone that kind of satisfaction?
    - Respect is the ultimate currency

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    Lol. Who exactly do you think has been wrongfully banned? Every person that I can think of that has been banned has made the board better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I miss Ruppertflywheel. He was pretty nuts but he was Gophers through and through. I suspect I missed him blowing a gasket on the Off Topic Board..

I would say, in my opinion, that the moderation of posters and what they post here is relatively tolerant, compared to other message boards I've been on where the moderators are more "active".

Based on that, I'm not sure I agree that people who post on here also have (hidden) privileges to log into a moderation account. It could be the case, but if it were I think you'd see much more active moderation. I could very well be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    I would say, in my opinion, that the moderation of posters and what they post here is relatively tolerant, compared to other message boards I've been on where the moderators are more "active".

Based on that, I'm not sure I agree that people who post on here also have (hidden) privileges to log into a moderation account. It could be the case, but if it were I think you'd see much more active moderation. I could very well be wrong.

IMO any person that is band by a moderator should have to send a note to the owner of the board. The mod in a short 2 sentences should state why he band the poster, a copy the offensive, overboard post, and let the owner make the final decision on the deration of the ban or resend the ban.

I also think the moderators should first worn the poster of why the post was taken down and given a warning by PM and on the board.

If the post was really egregious than the poster should be locked out until he/she responds to the mod and understands why his post was taken down and does the offending poster understand what in the post was so offensive that the post was taken down & refrain from that type of post again or a full or partial ban may be forth comming.

I know that everyone can go overboard & it happens from time to time. I think the above suggestions are fair.

TALON
    www.gsufans.com
    Last edited by GSUsTALON; 09-19-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    www.gsufans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GopherHole Staff View Post
    Thanks for asking. We do have regular expenses - we compensate our writers but the bigger expense is the hosting and tech fees we have to pay. Given the amount of traffic we get and the intensity of it during specific times (during games or breaking news) we have to have a server host that specializes in message board platforms. We are working behind the scenes on our most significant message board upgrade (more details to come) and that is a significant cost.

We do have an annual donation drive (though we didnít have one last year, but we will this year) and that helps us pay our writers. We also have ads on the site. But more than anything this is a passion, weíve been doing this for 22 years and outside of one year during Brewster era, our traffic has grown 21/22 years.
    Thanks for keeping this site alive. Folks that think "it's just a chatroom that's basically free" have no idea the costs and time that it takes to create and maintain a website where the contents are changing every few seconds. I'm surprised you don't have advertising banners all over the place, with a paid subscription offer to remove those adds. As a user, I'm glad you don't do that, but would totally understand it if you did.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherHole Staff View Post
    Thanks for asking. We do have regular expenses - we compensate our writers but the bigger expense is the hosting and tech fees we have to pay. Given the amount of traffic we get and the intensity of it during specific times (during games or breaking news) we have to have a server host that specializes in message board platforms. We are working behind the scenes on our most significant message board upgrade (more details to come) and that is a significant cost.

We do have an annual donation drive (though we didnít have one last year, but we will this year) and that helps us pay our writers. We also have ads on the site. But more than anything this is a passion, weíve been doing this for 22 years and outside of one year during Brewster era, our traffic has grown 21/22 years.
    by the way, you are welcome for all the free content I provide

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    There is a reason it’s free.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    What expenses do they have? Server hosting doesn't cost much. There's no paid moderation. The contributors are volunteers. It seems like a hobby. There's enough traffic (because of the off-topic board) that an enterprising owner could sell some ads, do some affiliate deals, some PPC, or whatever the new thing in online marketing is.
    I dont know how much time or money the owner of the board spends or how many updates or problems he deals with. I was asked to be a moderator on an FCS board once but didn't want the hassle. It's one thing to post & another to go through others peoples posts and make determinations on content, give warnings and banning people especially if you've known the poster for a long time either personally or just a long term board poster. If the mods are not compensated and are still working there regular job, as in not retired, then this is like a second job that takes time away from your family depending how long you spend a day reviewing the board. It could be a hobby but it still takes time out of your day.

As I stated in my earlier posts I also think that the mods should be held to standards even if they're not paid. I've seen some mods that have band posters that should not have been band just because the mod didn't like them personally.

TALON
    www.gsufans.com
    Last edited by GSUsTALON; 09-19-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    www.gsufans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Are you sure you shouldn't be paying the Gophers on this site for reading your content?
    www.gsufans.com

Costa Rican Gopher - What expenses do they have? Server hosting doesn't cost much. There's no paid moderation. The contributors are volunteers. It seems like a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUsTALON View Post
    I dont know how much time or money the owner of the board spends or how many updates or problems he deals with. I was asked to be a moderator on an FCS board once but didn't want the hassle. It's one thing to post & another to go through others peoples posts and make determinations on content, give warnings and banning people especially if you've known the poster for a long time either personally or just a long term board poster. If the mods are not compensated and are still working there regular job, as in not retired, then this is like a second job that takes time away from your family depending how long you spend a day reviewing the board. It could be a hobby but it still takes time out of your day.

As I stated in my earlier posts I also think that the mods should be held to standards even if they're not paid. I've seen some mods that have band posters that should not have been band just because the mod didn't like them personally.

TALON
    www.gsufans.com
    GopherHole Staff

Gopher Staff -We do have an annual donation drive (though we didn’t have one last year, but we will this year) and that helps us pay our writers. We also have ads on the site. But more than anything this is a passion, we’ve been doing this for 22 years and outside of one year during Brewster era, our traffic has grown 21/22 years.

TALON - THAT ANSWERE MANY QUESTIONS
    www.gsufans.com