Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How Does Gopher Hole Financially Make It?

Just wondering where the cash comes from to make this a go? I see the donate page, but I'm guessing very few people go there and I don't ever remember there being a request made for users to make donations. It takes time and money to keep a website viable. Is this all basically a volunteer run site?

One word: volume

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same market edge as The Change Bank

Paul McElroy: I have had people come in with wrinkled ten-dollar bills to exchange for new crisp bills to put in birthday cards. We can handle special requests like that, usually in the same day.
    I’d just returned from a business trip to London, and all the cash I had was a five-pound note. Citiwide wasn’t able to convert it to dollars, but they did give me four guineas, two crowns, four shillings, and ten pence.
    All the time, our customers ask us, “How do you make money doing this?” The answer is simple: Volume. That’s what we do.

What expenses do they have? Server hosting doesn't cost much. There's no paid moderation. The contributors are volunteers. It seems like a hobby. There's enough traffic (because of the off-topic board) that an enterprising owner could sell some ads, do some affiliate deals, some PPC, or whatever the new thing in online marketing is.
    If at first you donít succeed, then maybe you just suck. Ė Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by Livingat45north View Post
    Just wondering where the cash comes from to make this a go? I see the donate page, but I'm guessing very few people go there and I don't ever remember there being a request made for users to make donations. It takes time and money to keep a website viable. Is this all basically a volunteer run site?
    Thanks for asking. We do have regular expenses - we compensate our writers but the bigger expense is the hosting and tech fees we have to pay. Given the amount of traffic we get and the intensity of it during specific times (during games or breaking news) we have to have a server host that specializes in message board platforms. We are working behind the scenes on our most significant message board upgrade (more details to come) and that is a significant cost.

We do have an annual donation drive (though we didn’t have one last year, but we will this year) and that helps us pay our writers. We also have ads on the site. But more than anything this is a passion, we’ve been doing this for 22 years and outside of one year during Brewster era, our traffic has grown 21/22 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    What expenses do they have? Server hosting doesn't cost much. There's no paid moderation. The contributors are volunteers. It seems like a hobby. There's enough traffic (because of the off-topic board) that an enterprising owner could sell some ads, do some affiliate deals, some PPC, or whatever the new thing in online marketing is.
    Another whiff. No worries. Iíll mark you down for a par.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    Another whiff. No worries. I’ll mark you down for a par.

LMAO. Costa keeps score like the Trumpster.

COMMANDER IN CHEAT

Last edited by Cruze; 09-17-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    There has to be someone doing some kind of passive moderation. IE, if enough posters complain about XYZ, then perhaps they do something about it. Posters can't be allowed to post illicit/obscene content, of course.

Here's a money-making scheme for the Hole:

have a deal where, if you make a large enough donation, you have the right to ban a poster you dislike for a certain period of time. In short, pay to have someone booted from the site.

can you imagine the bidding war to have certain posters removed? and which poster would people most be willing to pay to have removed?

I know it will never happen, but it's fun to imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Here's a money-making scheme for the Hole:

have a deal where, if you make a large enough donation, you have the right to ban a poster you dislike for a certain period of time. In short, pay to have someone booted from the site.

can you imagine the bidding war to have certain posters removed? and which poster would people most be willing to pay to have removed?

I know it will never happen, but it's fun to imagine.
    I’ve always felt that banning a poster is mean-spirited and petty in nature. I would propose that a generous donation should buy a subscriber the right to comment in any manner he/she chooses without threat of censure or censor by the moderators.
    That way, I can say any ******* thing I want, to any ******* ********** on this ******* forum without those ********* moderators or the ******* software getting in my ******* way, and filling in my creative prose with a bunch of *********, *******, ********** asterisks!
    Just name the price.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    There has to be someone doing some kind of passive moderation. IE, if enough posters complain about XYZ, then perhaps they do something about it. Posters can't be allowed to post illicit/obscene content, of course.
    Right. There is moderation going on in the background. It's not as though GH really needs a ton of super active moderation. Most of the riffraff is contained to the off-topic board.

I think it was just last week that there was a thread about the NDSU game at Target Field and some d-bag Bison fan was trolling about how people care more about that JV team. The mods quickly removed all posts by that troll and the posts responding to the troll. So there is moderation going on. But I think that they focus more on keeping the sports boards on topic. The off-topic board is chaos already.

CRG would know these things if he had time away from INFOWARS and chasing ghosts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    Another whiff. No worries. Iíll mark you down for a par.
    LOL, is he implying that the off-topic board is the main attraction here?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodasGold View Post
    Iíve always felt that banning a poster is mean-spirited and petty in nature. I would propose that a generous donation should buy a subscriber the right to comment in any manner he/she chooses without threat of censure or censor by the moderators.
    That way, I can say any ******* thing I want, to any ******* ********** on this ******* forum without those ********* moderators or the ******* software getting in my ******* way, and filling in my creative prose with a bunch of *********, *******, ********** asterisks!
    Just name the price.
    That is a pretty *** ****** ****** ******* Good idea, Good. As an aside, I would like to compliment you as a ***** ***** ******** ****** *******, ****** and ******. Your ******* posts are more funny than a **** eating, ****** ****** *** of a ******* ****** ******. Also donít let the *** ****** ****** like *******, **** and especially ******** dissuade you from chiming in. Thanks, ****** *****. (And I call you that endearingly.)

Quote Originally Posted by GopherHole Staff View Post
    Thanks for asking. We do have regular expenses - we compensate our writers but the bigger expense is the hosting and tech fees we have to pay. Given the amount of traffic we get and the intensity of it during specific times (during games or breaking news) we have to have a server host that specializes in message board platforms. We are working behind the scenes on our most significant message board upgrade (more details to come) and that is a significant cost.

We do have an annual donation drive (though we didnít have one last year, but we will this year) and that helps us pay our writers. We also have ads on the site. But more than anything this is a passion, weíve been doing this for 22 years and outside of one year during Brewster era, our traffic has grown 21/22 years.
    thank you for finally responding to questions about behind the scenes stuff. i have had a continuous question that i have asked numerous times: who are the moderators? i don't mean what are their real names and what do they do for a living, but what are their monikers outside of their moderation duties? every site i have ever been on from reddit to youtube to other message boards always make their moderators public (by their posting moniker). this keeps any accusation of capricious moderation at bay. which is something that i am surprised is so dismissed by the posters on this board. so many people here have been banned, temporarily or permanently, and the sides are so drastically drawn between posters here, that i'm surprised that no one other than me has ever asked "who is pushing the ban button?" and "how are the purposely vague rules of the board applied?"

i have my suspicions about certain posters who likely also have moderation duties. and i have had suspicions of capricious and overzealous moderation at times. i wonder what the large number of posters on the site as a whole would think if they knew who was moderating. because, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, much of the moderation on this site is quiet and i would bet there is a lot of moderation that gets missed by the average poster. i think it should be more transparent.
    People start ****ing around with the law and all hell breaks loose. ó Will Teasle