Every Power 5 School That Has Never Hosted College GameDay (6. Minnesota)

I'm a PJ backer and even I think the writeup here is moronic. There were a few days where under Kill/Claeys the program seemed relevant enough to host gameday. I think of the frozen tundra game against Ohio State when both teams were ranked. I think there was a matchup against Wisconsin when both teams were ranked in the BCS computer rankings (I think that was a home game).

The idea that with Fleck we're "finally" a viable choice is just idiotic.

Getting Game Day is done by lobbying, calling people, getting some help from some heavy hitters. Helps to have a compelling game or two to have some interest. I would say if Penn State and us are undefeated come that time, we could get a look. Us and Wisky has no national interest for the most part no matter the importance.

Have we ever been the road team at a game day? Can’t think of one, but my memory is not what it used to be....

My money’s on the 2021 opener against Ohio St. I think the later you get into the season, the more likely it is that the Gameday decision makers lean toward a Bama-LSU (which lands on the same day as the PSU game) or Oklahoma-Oklahoma State or something like that.

A lot can change in a couple years but the Gophers will be senior/upperclassmen heavy in 2021 and potentially favorites in the West while Ohio St. probably remains clear favorites in the East if recruiting is anything to go by. You also get a fair few neutral site games in week 1 so a highly contested true home game between potential conference favorites would be appealing. Otherwise I’m not sure there’s another game that truly sticks out until that.

Edit: Looking at the blue bloods 2021 schedules, I’d say that game is the pretty clear early favorite. Not much else worth watching that week.

Last edited:

I really wouldn't want them to block the library anyway.

Getting Game Day is done by lobbying, calling people, getting some help from some heavy hitters. Helps to have a compelling game or two to have some interest. I would say if Penn State and us are undefeated come that time, we could get a look. Us and Wisky has no national interest for the most part no matter the importance.

I wouldn't say that. But it's usually the last week of the season and there will almost always be more compelling rivalry games that week-end. (Auburn/Alabama, FL/FL State, Clemson/SC)

disagree 100%. THere is no interest now because we have been bad for so long. When we get back to this being a more evenly matched rivalry it will have national interest. Wisconsin was preseason #4 last year, as much as it pains me to say, they have national attention.

per Michael:

6. Minnesota

Now the PJ Fleck has put his stamp on the program, the Golden Gophers are finally a viable team in the Big Ten West. Attracting Gameday, however, might need to wait until they upset some of the heavyweights.

https://www.12up.com/posts/every-power-5-school-that-has-never-hosted-college-gameday-01dmv6myvghg

Go Gophers!!

Either upset some of the heavyweights or beat a ton of the light and middleweights. Our best chance is probably going on a run of meh wins and then getting it because OMG Minnesota is 9-0...or something.

I'm looking at you, Penn State :)

I wonder if the matchup they attend/cover for Gameday influences their Gameday ratings much? Does it influence the ratings on the actual game they cover?

I would guess most people who watch Gameday are there for the content or out of ritual / boredom and don't tune in because they are broadcasting from a certain location. But it might goose the ratings of that game later that day/night.

We have students who also need beer $$. It was cool he donated it to the children's hospital.

I doubt if we would have a good turnout for a game day event. I'm not bothered by the fact that we never had one. So I'm in the who cares group. Were more interested in doing our own thing such as tailgating at our usual spot etc. and doubt if we would adjust.

Top Bottom