Forde-Yard Dash: Are the undefeated teams for real or deceiving? (8-0 still in play)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Forde:

Minnesota (12). Record: 3-0, with wins over South Dakota State, Fresno State and Georgia Southern. Dash rating: Counterfeit.

The Dash got on the Gophers’ rowboat early, predicting an 8-0 record heading into November. That’s still in play, but my goodness P.J. Fleck’s team has been shaky so far. Minnesota trailed the FCS Jackrabbits into the final half of the fourth quarter in the opener; needed a touchdown in the final minute of regulation to force overtime against Fresno State; and scored the game-winning touchdown with 13 seconds left against Georgia Southern. That’s simply not sustainable in Big Ten play — even in the West Division, which again looks like a tub of live bait. Next: at Purdue Sept. 28.

https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-yard...ed-teams-for-real-or-deceiving-171611693.html

Go Gophers!!

A tub of live bait? Not sure I have ever heard that expression used in sports.

A tub of live bait? Not sure I have ever heard that expression used in sports.

Most consider fishing to be a sport. I have heard the term in fishing.

:)

fishing is actually a tricky one in terms of "is it a sport or not". There is hobby fishing and a bunch of guys drinking beer at opener (not a sport). There is commercial fishing and fishing for food (not sports). And there is the competitive world of tournament fishing (sport). Basically, if there is competition involved it is considered a sport. I'm sure there are further gray areas like that gargantuan massive ice fishing tournament on Gull Lake every year. Most guys sitting on a bucket drinking beer. I probably wouldn't call that a sport. But a bass or walleye tourney with an official weigh in, trophies, placings, etc.? Yes, that is a sport.

Sort of like playing catch with a football in one's back yard. Somewhere between that (a leisure activity) and a full fledged game with two coached teams wearing helmets and pads... it becomes a sport.

Fascinating discussion about the merits of fishing as a sport......but what does a division being a "tub of live bait" mean. :)

ESPN devotes plenty of air time to poker. If poker is a sport, then so is fishing.

Fascinating discussion about the merits of fishing as a sport......but what does a division being a "tub of live bait" mean. :)

I think the implication is that the west is going to be eaten alive by the east. We'll see if we can give them as much a fight as Army and Pitt and Temple.

Really? Never heard of fishing being a sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people even consider golf a sport.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The dictionary requires “physical exertion” to qualify as a sport. While this is open to interpretation the most difficult part of fishing is (probably) getting the beer chest in the boat, or maybe getting the boat out of the water but even that can be automated in many cases. Hobby - with potential for competition - but not a sport. Golf is an odd duck as it does require (mild) physical exertion for short bursts and occasional exposure to the elements. It requires precise movements. It may be a quasi-sport but is probably more of a competitive hobby.

The dictionary requires “physical exertion” to qualify as a sport. While this is open to interpretation the most difficult part of fishing is (probably) getting the beer chest in the boat, or maybe getting the boat out of the water but even that can be automated in many cases. Hobby - with potential for competition - but not a sport. Golf is an odd duck as it does require (mild) physical exertion for short bursts and occasional exposure to the elements. It requires precise movements. It may be a quasi-sport but is probably more of a competitive hobby.

My definition of what's not a sport - if you can drink and smoke while doing it - it's not a sport.
So...no fishing, no slowpitch softball, no golf, no bowling...

My definition of what's not a sport - if you can drink and smoke while doing it - it's not a sport.
So...no fishing, no slowpitch softball, no golf, no bowling...

That's a pretty terrible definition. Golf not a sport? You're an idiot.

That's a pretty terrible definition. Golf not a sport? You're an idiot.
Ha. Knew someone would get riled up by that.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

How about drinking? I'm surprised that never became a sport. I coulda been a contenda ... :rolleyes:

JTG

Is competitive eating a sport? Trap shooting is now a MSHL sport. I don't see much difference between fishing and trap shooting.

Competitive drinking should be a sport! I'd pay to watch a group of ten people go shot for shot till only one person is left. Problem is you would have to pump the stomachs of anyone taking more than 20 shots to make sure they survive.

Again, there are many forms of fishing. Some are a sport, and many are not. If you are going to lump them all into one thing you will continue to struggle to find a definition and more often than not you will determine it isn't a sport. Tell a guy working the fillet line on a factory pollack ship that he is engaged in a sport and he'd laugh you off the boat. That is not a sport. The stuff most of us do on the weekend with a cooler on our Grandpa's favorite spot is also not a sport. But tourney fishing is a sport. Easily as much physical activity as golf, and the same need for precision, and the same goal to overcome others in the tourney.

Top Bottom