Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerFueledFF View Post
    Also, hopefully he's screaming about how they can't keep running read-option if Morgan is never gonna actually make the read and keep the ball to run it himself.
    Very few of those are read-options, they are almost entirely called handoffs.


  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    Very few of those are read-options, they are almost entirely called handoffs.
    Right. Inside zone hand-offs.

    The "fake keep" is supposed to at least hold the backside DE for a moment, if not ideally get him to commit to the QB. No idea if that actually works, or if that guy has been making the play.

  3. #18

    Default STrib: P.J. Fleck's Gophers busy 'self-scouting' during bye week before Purdue game

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    Yeah, I don't really see Fleck as someone who is opposed to change.

    He moved on from Robb Smith to Joe Rossi at just about the perfect time. It did not come across as a knee jerk reaction and it was clearly the right call. Could it have been done a week or two earlier? Sure, but that's hindsight and these are real people. Coaching is a business where making connections matter.

    As far as what he said at a press conference, well, yeah, he isn't going to throw Robb Smith under the bus.


    Instead, he threw his players under the bus, by saying they weren’t athletic enough. My point is he gets himself in trouble by talking too much.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PitinoFan View Post
    [/b]
    Instead, he threw his players under the bus, by saying they weren’t athletic enough. My point is he gets himself in trouble by talking too much.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Who did he throw under the bus? There is 1 DC and a bunch of defensive players. Every football coach in the country would like to get "more athletic".

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingfield, Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 60's Guy View Post
    Excellent! Hopefully, that includes things like what did we do really well last year, with nearly the same guys, that we haven’t even shown yet. And what explosive plays continue to show up on highlights that we don’t utilize...the slant is our money play! Do we have a screen pass? Can we set up TJ or Bateman on an end around/jet sweeep? Could we throw to the tight end down the seam versus the flat? Could we ever figure out the bubble screens? (We have the talent) Could we let Rodney catch a pass out of the backfield and let him operate in space? Will we take advantage of Seth in the right situations? Etc Etc

    It’s when you do this stuff and how you set it up more importantly than anything else imo. Yes, then execution must follow but if you are going to save all these things to use once to surprise people I think your opportunities for success in the plays and in games are significantly diminished.
    I was screaming for this when GA Southern blitzed 15x in a row in the 4th quarter.
    JUST WIN BABY!

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    Right. Inside zone hand-offs.

    The "fake keep" is supposed to at least hold the backside DE for a moment, if not ideally get him to commit to the QB. No idea if that actually works, or if that guy has been making the play.
    In the second half at least the DE was crashing down hard on the running back, so the fake keep was doing little to no good.

  7. #22

    Default STrib: P.J. Fleck's Gophers busy 'self-scouting' during bye week before Purdue game

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    Who did he throw under the bus? There is 1 DC and a bunch of defensive players. Every football coach in the country would like to get "more athletic".
    He flat out said they can’t stop athletic teams with the players they have, which was clearly wrong, and not a wise thing to say. He was thinking out loud in the press conference, which is what he did this week with his bizarre answer regarding the failed 4th down conversion. There’s a reason Belichick gives one word answers. PJ has foot in the mouth disease at times.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerFueledFF View Post
    In the second half at least the DE was crashing down hard on the running back, so the fake keep was doing little to no good.
    It helps when Morgan pulls it out and throws it.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mean streets of Rochester
    Posts
    1,583

    Default

    It seemed as if Mitch Leidner kept the ball half the time on the read-option. Although, he was much more of a bruising runner than Morgan is.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    It seemed as if Mitch Leidner kept the ball half the time on the read-option. Although, he was much more of a bruising runner than Morgan is.
    He was also very good at reading the situation.

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

  11. #26

    Default Self scouting

    Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    He was also very good at reading the situation.

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Self scout Tip #1
    When you have a nice gain on second down setting up a third and short, rushing up to the line in a hurry and running inside zone doesn’t fool anybody. Take your time, get set and run the play.

    Self scout Tip #2
    When you have third and extremely short, whether at midfield or near the opponents endzone, snapping to a QB under center (as opposed to a QB 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage) puts you closer to your end goal (gaining an inch) and will limit the amount of penetration from the defense.

    Self scout Tip#3
    You have the best receiving core I’ve seen in my 42 years of watching Gopher football. Use them. Throwing to set up the run is not a sign of weakness;it will soften things up in the box for our Oline that appears to be on the “sweet and gentle” side.

    More tips to follow

  12. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerFueledFF View Post
    Also, hopefully he's screaming about how they can't keep running read-option if Morgan is never gonna actually make the read and keep the ball to run it himself.
    They would have to start running read option in order for them to keep running it.

    Mods - can we sticky a thread at the top of the forum explaining that Kirk Ciarrocca's offense (the offense that the Gophers currently run) is RPO and not read option?

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    It seemed as if Mitch Leidner kept the ball half the time on the read-option. Although, he was much more of a bruising runner than Morgan is.
    Well, Leidner actually played in a read option offense, whereas Morgan does not.

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldyMoose View Post
    Self scout Tip #1
    When you have a nice gain on second down setting up a third and short, rushing up to the line in a hurry and running inside zone doesn’t fool anybody. Take your time, get set and run the play.

    Self scout Tip #2
    When you have third and extremely short, whether at midfield or near the opponents endzone, snapping to a QB under center (as opposed to a QB 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage) puts you closer to your end goal (gaining an inch) and will limit the amount of penetration from the defense.

    Self scout Tip#3
    You have the best receiving core I’ve seen in my 42 years of watching Gopher football. Use them. Throwing to set up the run is not a sign of weakness;it will soften things up in the box for our Oline that appears to be on the “sweet and gentle” side.

    More tips to follow
    Solid tips there Goldy! Agree wholeheartedly!

  15. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldyMoose View Post
    Self scout Tip #1
    When you have a nice gain on second down setting up a third and short, rushing up to the line in a hurry and running inside zone doesn’t fool anybody. Take your time, get set and run the play. Agree 100%! I hate it when we do this!

    Self scout Tip #2
    When you have third and extremely short, whether at midfield or near the opponents endzone, snapping to a QB under center (as opposed to a QB 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage) puts you closer to your end goal (gaining an inch) and will limit the amount of penetration from the defense.somewhat agree. However, I am not a fan of the QB sneak near the goal line, but it does work better at mid-field

    Self scout Tip#3
    You have the best receiving core I’ve seen in my 42 years of watching Gopher football. Use them. Throwing to set up the run is not a sign of weakness;it will soften things up in the box for our Oline that appears to be on the “sweet and gentle” side. Pretty much agree. We obviously have to protect Morgan better

    More tips to follow
    x

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •