STrib: P.J. Fleck's Gophers busy 'self-scouting' during bye week before Purdue game

As opposed to... panicking and changing everything game to game or something?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oydv8lFPeIY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Personally, should we get our running back corps healthy again, I'd LOVE to see us start running more of a 2-back set. I think this gives the defense much more to think about. We could still run some variation of the RPO but utilizing 2 backs in the backfield would definitely bring another dimension to our much-too-predictable running game. Every run is designed to go up the middle and opposing defenses are beginning to gear up for that, knowing that Morgan is rarely going to pull the ball and keep it himself.

Personally, should we get our running back corps healthy again, I'd LOVE to see us start running more of a 2-back set. I think this gives the defense much more to think about. We could still run some variation of the RPO but utilizing 2 backs in the backfield would definitely bring another dimension to our much-too-predictable running game. Every run is designed to go up the middle and opposing defenses are beginning to gear up for that, knowing that Morgan is rarely going to pull the ball and keep it himself.

We won't do this -- it's way too far outside Kirk C.'s wheelhouse -- but the Vikings had a TON of success running the ball out of 21 personnel, with a true FB as the lead blocker. CJ Ham is the unsung hero of their running game.

http://www.startribune.com/film-rev...ore-from-vikings-loss-in-green-bay/560579472/ (scroll down to the bar chart)

But like I said. We don't have a guy like that on the roster, which is a purposeful decision that most college teams have gone away from.

Also, hopefully he's screaming about how they can't keep running read-option if Morgan is never gonna actually make the read and keep the ball to run it himself.

That’s because despite the appearance they’re running read option , most of the time they’re running an RPO scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s because despite the appearance they’re running read option , most of the time they’re running an RPO scheme.

What ends up being the functional difference?

Read-option - QB either hands it off, or keeps it
RPO - QB either hands it off, or keeps it and throws it on the run

??

What about the OL coach, Callahan? Will he throw him under the bus? I’ll answer my own question,. Probably not since we don’t have anyone on staff that could take over. Regardless of how crappy job he is doing. Eliminate him, and you have coaches overlapping responsibilities. Not sure it is worth the gamble. But then is it fair to the athletes? To have someone coaching you who is not doing enough to allow them to succeed. PJ has a quandary.

Self scout Tip #1
When you have a nice gain on second down setting up a third and short, rushing up to the line in a hurry and running inside zone doesn’t fool anybody. Take your time, get set and run the play.

Doesn't work because we are the slowest hurry-up team I've ever seen. The offense hurries while the defense is already ready to stuff the RTM.

What ends up being the functional difference?

Read-option - QB either hands it off, or keeps it
RPO - QB either hands it off, or keeps it and throws it on the run

??

In a classic RPO the third option (keeps it) isn’t used often depending on your personnel. RPO doesn’t mean you throw it on the run either- if you watch the Gopher system Tanner nearly always is within a pocket (hopefully[emoji15]) when he throws.

In a classic RPO the third option (keeps it) isn’t used often depending on your personnel. RPO doesn’t mean you throw it on the run either- if you watch the Gopher system Tanner nearly always is within a pocket (hopefully[emoji15]) when he throws.

I see, thanks.

So I guess, if it is a handoff though, then he always fakes the keep, which gives the same appearance as the read-option.

Perhaps the problem is we have too many Kirk C.s in Minnesota.

Top Bottom