STrib: Criminal investigation remains incomplete in case of Gophers wrestlers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Three months after their arrests on suspicion of criminal sexual conduct, two Gophers wrestlers await word from the Hennepin County attorney’s office on whether they will be charged.

But as of Monday, a spokesman for Hennepin County Attorney Freeman said, “The case is still under active investigation.”

The men were arrested and booked into the jail on June 15. They were released without being charged. At the time, Freeman’s office said it would take 90 days to review the evidence against Gable Steveson, 19, and Gophers teammate Dylan Martinez, 21.

Despite hitting the 90-day self-imposed deadline, the county attorney’s office provided no further information on when a decision would be forthcoming. Spokesman Chuck Laszewski said 90 days is a way for the office to track a case once it has been returned to the police for additional investigation. “Some of those take less than 90, others can take more,” the spokesman said.

The wrestling season is set to begin Nov. 1, with the Gophers starting practice Oct. 10, but Steveson and Martinez remain off the team.

The University of Minnesota athletic department said two wrestlers were suspended in June under the student-athlete code of conduct.

The code reads that athletes arrested for, charged with, or under investigation for criminal allegations will be suspended from their team pending resolution of the investigation or at the discretion of the athletic director. They can also face additional sanctions ranging from verbal reprimands to dismissal.

http://www.startribune.com/criminal...plete-in-case-of-gophers-wrestlers/560517282/

Go Gophers!!

I wonder what is taking the investigation so long? I assume it is being conducted by the Mpls PD. Surely they would've been able to interview everyone, by now?

Unless *wild speculation* the alleged victim is refusing to cooperate? I have no info, I pulled that out of my rear.

Agree. I have no idea what the hold is. Mike Freeman seems to be wrestling with this case, and if he can’t pin a charge on either of these athletes he should really just call it a draw and move on to the next match.

Agree. I have no idea what the hold is. Mike Freeman seems to be wrestling with this case, and if he can’t pin a charge on either of these athletes he should really just call it a draw and move on to the next match.

DNA can take awhile.

I don't think the attorney's office has anything to do with the hold-up. I think they're waiting, have been waiting for a long time now, for the investigation to be completed and submitted. Once they have the final report, they should be able to make a decision to charge or not, fairly quickly. It will amount to how good the evidence is, to make a case, or not.

I wonder what is taking the investigation so long? I assume it is being conducted by the Mpls PD. Surely they would've been able to interview everyone, by now?

Unless *wild speculation* the alleged victim is refusing to cooperate? I have no info, I pulled that out of my rear.

I’m not aware if this investigation has been completed and/or the matter otherwise resolved, but if not then this thing begins to look like a lack of due process for these student athletes. Arrested? - yes; charged? - no; investigated? - interminably.
I understand the AD may not be terribly manly, but he needs to step up and make a decision one way or the other.

he's not wrestling in the opener vs bakersfield

two days ago the startribune indicated Gable is still suspended from and not practicing with the team
on yesterday's coach's corner eggum mentioned Gable would be wrestling mid november at the NYAC. guessing he'd have to do that as unattached

Wow ... so are we running up against the statute of limitations? Guessing not even close. Just feels that way!

Steveson in the line up at 285 vs Rider this Friday - Bobby though and not Gable

Gable to the line up by late November?

It’s had to believe it takes so long to sort out this charge.

This says the County made an announcement this morning at a press conference at 1030am. The link above hasn't been updated with the conference statements yet, as of my posting this. I'm going to take a guess that the County thinks it doesn't have sufficient evidence to support a criminal case, but I guess we will see.

EDIT: just updated a couple minutes ago -- no charges will be filed.

Investigation over. Suspension lifted. In only slightly more time than the Warren Commission report.

Last edited:

Good grief. Redshirt now or wrestle? Due to all of his other wrestling I'm sure he is in shape.

The suspension was immediately lifted, and he wrestled last night vs South Dakota St. Beat the guy 21-8. I didn't know you could score that many points in wrestling. I guess they didn't want him to pin the guy in 1min and rather wanted him to work on a variety of skills. Must've including letting the guy take him down, so he could work on escapes?

Steveson appears to be quite the fan and kid favorite. Now that Penn State's heavy is done for the year (and his college career), it is quite possible that Steveson will win the national championship this year for the Gophers and cement his place in Gopher wrestling history.

Wonder if we'll ever find out what actually went down that night.

Steveson appears to be quite the fan and kid favorite. Now that Penn State's heavy is done for the year (and his college career), it is quite possible that Steveson will win the national championship this year for the Gophers and cement his place in Gopher wrestling history.

Wonder if we'll ever find out what actually went down that night.
Next time I see Gabe I’ll ask him.

Thanks bud! Please make sure to report back here what your investigation turns up.

Top Bottom