Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I would love to be a fly on the wall this week and next on potential adjustments.

I'm still curious about what changes Rossi actually implemented last year that changed the front 7 performance so much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    The numbers are in after 3 games, and they ain't good. In spite of outweighing the Vikings by roughly 40 pounds per man, and being healthy and reasonably effective last year, the Gophers OL currently sports these ranks from Football Outsiders:

98th in Line Yards
    105th in Standard Down Line Yards
    125th in Sack Rate
    126th in Pass Down Sack Rate

Hoping they get it sorted during the bye.
    In a nutshell, clod hopping galoots.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    The numbers are in after 3 games, and they ain't good. In spite of outweighing the Vikings by roughly 40 pounds per man, and being healthy and reasonably effective last year, the Gophers OL currently sports these ranks from Football Outsiders:

98th in Line Yards
    105th in Standard Down Line Yards
    125th in Sack Rate
    126th in Pass Down Sack Rate

Hoping they get it sorted during the bye.
    I know EXACTLY the reason why they are struggling. It's something we have all known for 3 seasons now.

INSIDE. ZONE. BLOCKING.
    Minnesota, to the pit of misery!!!!!!!! #DILLYDILLY

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher028 View Post
    I know EXACTLY the reason why they are struggling. It's something we have all known for 3 seasons now.

INSIDE. ZONE. BLOCKING.
    SECOND REASON, (and i hate ragging on him cuz im sure he's a good kid)
    but any OL that starts Sam Schlueter, will struggle. When he was pulled last year, we were obviously better.
    Minnesota, to the pit of misery!!!!!!!! #DILLYDILLY

To be fair, there really isnít anyone that hasnít had a fair share of issues so far. Itís everyone. The center is low snapping like crazy. Schleuter gets on skates. Dunlap is slow and getting beat every which way. Faalele is susceptible to speed rushers. Blaise hasnít been perfect. There have been multiple plays that make you go what the heck just happened with multiple guys relatively unimpeded.

But, weíve seen these kinds of problems before and they seem to get better in a lot of cases as the year goes by. Those teams were lucky to catch us early. By game 4,5,6 I bet we see some movement.

I readily admit that I know very little about Offensive Line play, but I wonder how much of the struggle this year has been due to the play calling by Coach Ciarrocca? The inside zone run in to stacked boxes on first down has been commonplace often leading to second and long and then potentially 3rd and long. We're not really getting teams off balance so smaller quicker defensive lineman and linebackers can pin their ears back and rush often because the Gophers are forced in to obvious passing plays. Those smaller, quicker guys who don't have to worry about getting blown off the ball on a run play are always going to be a problem for lineman weighing in at 340 plus.

Other issues with the lack of running game success. The color guy on the Georgia Southern game wen on and on about 2 things: 1. The Green Line package wasn't working because Georgia Southern was not respecting anything other than a run. He was begging the Gophers to throw a pass out of the formation. 2. Morgan was either making terrible reads or was not allowed to keep the ball on the zone plays. Time and time again he pointed out how Morgan should have kept the ball because the DE was crashing in and not respecting the keep option. In these scenarios, it seemed like we were not putting the offensive line in position to succeed either by formation, play calling or decision making.

None of this is to say I am not concerned with the offensive line as I am actually extremely concerned with the play of the group. I just wonder if there are some basic things that could be done to put them in a better position to succeed whether they actually improve or not.

INSIDE. ZONE. BLOCKING.
    That matches my armchair rube opinion.

It's designed to be simple and designed to get guys up to the second level, covering LBs. You get little to no push on the DL. Penetration kills the play. We don't use FBs or other "lead blockers" up through the hole. TEs are always on the periphery of the play.

I just don't like the scheme, per my own taste.

BUT, Rodney and Mo (and Shannon when healthy) have proven capable of getting good ypc within it, in the past.

SECOND REASON, (and i hate ragging on him cuz im sure he's a good kid)
    but any OL that starts Sam Schlueter, will struggle. When he was pulled last year, we were obviously better.
    Last year he got pulled in the Iowa game for Faalele, at right OT. He was going up against Iowa's stud DE Anthony Nelson, who was(is) a big boy himself, not a speed rusher, but more like a Bosa style large/powerful player. He embarrassed SS at times, in that game. Faalele comes in, slaps his giant meat hooks on him, and shuts him down (the plays I recall watching anyway).

But, at least last game (and maybe SDSU), he (Faalele) has had trouble with speed rushes.

According to rockford's grading, Sam has I believe not been the worst lineman on average. He has had some bad plays on pass-pro, which I think is still his biggest weakness. But for now, I don't think he is the weakest link in the OL.

If Dickson had shown enough in fall camp to earn the starting nod, he would be starting. He must just not be far enough along in development, or else there is something we don't know.

INSIDE. ZONE. BLOCKING.
    For sure. Nobody successfully zone blocks in football

Quote Originally Posted by Chucklehead View Post
    Offensive line looks like its regressing. I thought this year they would be a strength. Maybe next year.
    Writing them off three games in seems a bit premature.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    For sure. Nobody successfully zone blocks in football
    I don’t think he said or implied that no one has ever done it well before.

I think what Rockford and others are getting at is this:

It seems as if the Gophers made a point of having the biggest OL they could get - but they are running an offensive style that seems to require a certain degree of mobility and quickness from the O-line - as if the system is not a good fit for the type of athletes playing O-line.

if you want big, strong road-graders, then shouldn't you go with designed plays and straight-ahead power blocking?

if you want a zone-read scheme, then shouldn't you want linemen that are a little more mobile?

there seems to be some type of contradiction here in the system they're running, and the players they have running it.

Any offensive line gurus out there feel free to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    I think what Rockford and others are getting at is this:

It seems as if the Gophers made a point of having the biggest OL they could get - but they are running an offensive style that seems to require a certain degree of mobility and quickness from the O-line - as if the system is not a good fit for the type of athletes playing O-line.

if you want big, strong road-graders, then shouldn't you go with designed plays and straight-ahead power blocking?

if you want a zone-read scheme, then shouldn't you want linemen that are a little more mobile?

there seems to be some type of contradiction here in the system they're running, and the players they have running it.

Any offensive line gurus out there feel free to chime in.
    I think Kirk and Fleck have always been inside zone guys and recruit lineman for that system but Dunlap and Faalele were just so good that you can't pass up two 4 star Under Armor All Americans just because they aren't an ideal scheme fit.

Where does Callahan fit into this?

Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    I don’t think he said or implied that no one has ever done it well before.
    He said that the number two reason of the two reasons he listed was the scheme.
    Implying that at or near 50% of the lack of success was due to the scheme.

So yes. I called him out for making a dumb point. Zone blocking scheme works well for hundreds of college and pro teams.