ESPN: Virginia's Bennett rejects raise in new deal

Any chance he could do a Billy Donovan and move up to the pro ranks, especially if he adds a few more Final 4s and another NCAA title?

As built mentioned, he has already had multiple offers from NBA teams. It would seem it's a matter of when not if, and will depend on what Bennett wants to do personally.

Just a question for someone that calls Bennett a good coach. Good is a strange way to describe what he has accomplished. Check his bio, there is nothing good about it.

Stop it Built.

YOU took a completely unnecessary shot at Pitino. Exactly what YOU have said, multiple times, you DO NOT DO.

Your agenda is crystal clear to anyone paying attention. Nearly every gh'er will not call you out. I will.

We all understand your love and admiration for all things Bennett, Virginia, and Wisconsin. We all get it. There is no need to take a shot, in the back no less. Pathetic Built.

Thanks, but why not accept the raise and then distribute the money on the down low?

The down low? It doesn't really work like that anywhere. In truth, he could have gotten a raise AND more money for his assistants. He chose not to.

Bennett is a good coach is a laughable understatement. Our coaches own father calls him the best in the business when asked, Jerry West has been on the song for 5 plus years. All of his peers call him great. Rob Jeter said there is no one like that guy. Literally non one says good. Looks to be a good guy ! Thats what you judge someone on ? What about a persons actions. It is not giving him sainthood, no one has the power to do so. He turned down 9 million a year from the Knicks, 5 million from Texas, 5 million from IU, nearly 8 million from UCLA. It has never been about the money. A one year pause ! Your funny, he does not have to pause at all. That is the point. There is a ton of room between the great guy he is and a saint. Known him personally and professionally for a very long time and he is as impressive a person as you could ever meet. The best part is the humility. My favorite was not him winning the title, winning all those ACC titles, all those 30 win seasons. It was how he handled losing the 1st round fame two tourneys ago, never even mentioning losing Hunter 2 says before to a wrist injury. You know why, so he would not take away from the other team and to iron tough his own team. Your just being cynical or jealous that we have not had that here in our lifetime, or do you just hate all things from Wisconsin. Good coach ! What do you call ours ?

I was about to give you credit for your restraint in this thread....woof.

Read the whole release. Kill came nowhere near the two year gift Bennett gave, plus 500,000 more to the student athlete fund. Besides, his market value dwarfs uncle Jerry . not only at UVA but all the far larger offers from other programs and NBA teams. Again, i asked you about the word good used to describe him and what word would you use for our guy ?

Built, give me a fckg break! I didn't say that Kill was in your circle of God Coaches!

I just said Kill used a similar technique of deferring a raise so he could give it to his assistants. Kill then got it back down the line when they adjusted his salary to keep it in line with similar coaches. Don't read anything more into it than i said!

Since when did "Good" turn into an evil description of someone's work performance? If I had put out anything close to the snipes that you take at our coach, you would have paid a hit man to take me out.

I think Pitino is a good coach, I think Brewster was a bad HC. College basketball is just one of the many sports and activities that I follow, it is not my live. I obviously don't have the experience with college baseball that you have, but I also don't put some of the participants of that sport up on a pedestal to worship. Wanna talk about the America's Cup?

As built mentioned, he has already had multiple offers from NBA teams. It would seem it's a matter of when not if, and will depend on what Bennett wants to do personally.

I would think "where" would also be a factor, perhaps the primary.

Bennett is a good coach is a laughable understatement. Our coaches own father calls him the best in the business when asked, Jerry West has been on the song for 5 plus years. All of his peers call him great. Rob Jeter said there is no one like that guy. Literally non one says good. Looks to be a good guy ! Thats what you judge someone on ? What about a persons actions. It is not giving him sainthood, no one has the power to do so. He turned down 9 million a year from the Knicks, 5 million from Texas, 5 million from IU, nearly 8 million from UCLA. It has never been about the money. A one year pause ! Your funny, he does not have to pause at all. That is the point. There is a ton of room between the great guy he is and a saint. Known him personally and professionally for a very long time and he is as impressive a person as you could ever meet. The best part is the humility. My favorite was not him winning the title, winning all those ACC titles, all those 30 win seasons. It was how he handled losing the 1st round fame two tourneys ago, never even mentioning losing Hunter 2 says before to a wrist injury. You know why, so he would not take away from the other team and to iron tough his own team. Your just being cynical or jealous that we have not had that here in our lifetime, or do you just hate all things from Wisconsin. Good coach ! What do you call ours ?

Uff-da. That was a lot of venom toward someone who I guess didn't compliment Bennett quite as much as he was supposed to.

No problem, everybody has their own opinion of what good is. If a poster thinks that Pitino is good and Bennett is good then that it what they think. Just WANTED HIM TO CLARIFY, now he did.

No problem, everybody has their own opinion of what good is. If a poster thinks that Pitino is good and Bennett is good then that it what they think. Just WANTED HIM TO CLARIFY, now he did.

You, sir, are full of $hit.

The down low? It doesn't really work like that anywhere. In truth, he could have gotten a raise AND more money for his assistants. He chose not to.

No doubt word wouldve gotten out, but Bennett didnt need to be the one blowing the trumpet in my view. Just dont understand why not accept the raise and then distribute the money as he sees fit. Seems the more self-effacing way to go.

Last edited:

I think Pitino is a good coach, I think Brewster was a bad HC.

Pitino Big Ten winning percentage: .364
Brewster Big Ten winning percentage: .222

Apparently the line between good and bad is pretty thin.

Also, LOL at calling .364 "good". A percentage of .364 is Hall of Fame for a MLB hitter, but dogsh1t for a Big Ten basketball coach.

I've also made fun of built plenty of times for his Bennett worship, but all of the sensitive Sallies are being ridiculous in this thread. I didn't realize it was controversial to call one of the nation's best active college basketball coaches much better at his job than one of the worst active Big Ten basketball coaches.

I've also made fun of built plenty of times for his Bennett worship, but all of the sensitive Sallies are being ridiculous in this thread. I didn't realize it was controversial to call one of the nation's best active college basketball coaches much better at his job than one of the worst active Big Ten basketball coaches.

That would not be a controversial stance at all, agreed.

However, built's tirade was in response to this statement: "Bennett is a good coach and looks to be a good guy, but let’s hold back on giving him sainthood." Why built suddenly took innocuous statement as some kind of personal attack on Bennett is both amusing and confounding.

That would not be a controversial stance at all, agreed.

However, built's tirade was in response to this statement: "Bennett is a good coach and looks to be a good guy, but let’s hold back on giving him sainthood." Why built suddenly took innocuous statement as some kind of personal attack on Bennett is both amusing and confounding.

Simply stated that it sounds to me like it is a very poor description. Also do not need to be accused of worship or calling sainthood for Tony or anyone else. In my world there is no worship or sainthood for anyone or anything. Merely the acknowledgement of what i see as excellence at his craft. Hell, i do that for coaches i was not even fond of, like Bo Ryan or going back further, Don Haskins. Just have preference for greatness. I do not get resentful or jealous when someone does great for any program. If they do not cheat and do great i tip my hat for a great job. Tony Bennett is someone i do not hesitate to recommend to recruits and families when asked.

Also, LOL at calling .364 "good". A percentage of .364 is Hall of Fame for a MLB hitter, but dogsh1t for a Big Ten basketball coach.

Sad thing is Fleck at .277 is closer to Brew than Pitino right now. I don't really care what Built of our coach, Pitino will deal his date one way or another, that reaction to Bennett was over the top. It's like when Big***gy gets mad about the hole not worshipping Wisconsin

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sad thing is Fleck at .277 is closer to Brew than Pitino right now. I don't really care what Built of our coach, Pitino will deal his date one way or another, that reaction to Bennett was over the top. It's like when Big***gy gets mad about the hole not worshipping Wisconsin

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Building in football is worlds different than basketball. He will not be given a 7th year at .364 . I am supporting Pitino this year as i have for 6 years. I do not do worship. Plus it is not something one person can declare that someone else is doing. Acknowledging greatness is not worship .

No doubt word wouldve gotten out, but Bennett didnt need to be the one blowing the trumpet in my view. Just dont understand why not accept the raise and then distribute the money as he sees fit. Seems the more self-effacing way to go.

So he should distribute it and pay taxes on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he should distribute it and pay taxes on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didnt think about the taxes. Money to assistants would be taxed in either case, but denying the raise would result in the money being distributed to facilities not being taxed. Maybe in order to make the story not about him, accept a raise in the amount of money to be distributed to assistants? Will admit Im not 100% sold on my take. Just seems like denying the raise makes it about him and also puts othet head coaches in a ticklish spot when their raises come due. On the other hand, suppose an argument can be made that other coaches and the super wealthy should be put under the spotlight to give back.

It is the same old thing over and over. We have tried to explain the Pitino track record to you in an endless amount of threads, but it doesn't matter. Pitino has had some very bad years, but he has had some good years. Like i pointed out in another thread: Pitino has a better conference record, overall winning percentage and more trips to the NCAA than coach K had at this point in his career. You will continue to hate on Pitino, that is your prerogative, but I also have a right to my opinions.

It is the same old thing over and over. We have tried to explain the Pitino track record to you in an endless amount of threads, but it doesn't matter. Pitino has had some very bad years, but he has had some good years. Like i pointed out in another thread: Pitino has a better conference record, overall winning percentage and more trips to the NCAA than coach K had at this point in his career. You will continue to hate on Pitino, that is your prerogative, but I also have a right to my opinions.

Wait, are you comparing Pitino at Minnesota to K at Army? Wow, what an apples-to-apples comparison!

Comparing Pitino at Minnesota to K at Duke (a better and more apt comparison), K went 37-3 (12-2) and lost the national title game in his 6th year. Pitino went 22-14 (9-11) and lost in the 2nd round in his 6th year. There is no comparison.

I get that you have a massive hard-on for Pitino for some reason, but he has been a bad head coach at Minnesota, and that's being charitable.

To say "some very bad years" but some "good years" is pretty charitable. I'm hoping we build on last year's postseason success and continue to improve, but I think it is tough to describe his full body of work through six years as anything but pretty awful. .364 B1G winning percentage is terrible, and that includes his good years in it. In three of 6 years, he has gone 6-12 or worse and missed the NIT. In five of six years, he has had a losing B1G record. Balance that bad against two tournament appearances, a 1-2 record in tourney games, and one good but not great 11-7 B1G season. You certainly have a right to your opinion, but I feel like if we looked at any other B1G coach with a similar record, your evaluation would not be so rosy.

Of course your entitled to your opinion, that is the point of the board. Observations, opinions, facts, predictions, rankings of coaches, insights, shared experiences, different experiences. That is all it is.

Of course your entitled to your opinion, that is the point of the board. Observations, opinions, facts, predictions, rankings of coaches, insights, shared experiences, different experiences. That is all it is.

Along with an axe to the back of RP, courtesy of Built.

Wait, are you comparing Pitino at Minnesota to K at Army? Wow, what an apples-to-apples comparison!

Comparing Pitino at Minnesota to K at Duke (a better and more apt comparison), K went 37-3 (12-2) and lost the national title game in his 6th year. Pitino went 22-14 (9-11) and lost in the 2nd round in his 6th year. There is no comparison.

I get that you have a massive hard-on for Pitino for some reason, but he has been a bad head coach at Minnesota, and that's being charitable.

Pitino spent his "army years" here at the U. He didn't have 5-15 years of HC learning experience at some smaller school, he was thrown directly into the fire. Again, we have gone over it on several occasion, Pitino has shown some very good parts to his coaching resume that are not reflective by using an overall record. True analysis is done by looking at the detail and not just making a seat of the pants conclusion.

Pitino spent his "army years" here at the U. He didn't have 5-15 years of HC learning experience at some smaller school, he was thrown directly into the fire. Again, we have gone over it on several occasion, Pitino has shown some very good parts to his coaching resume that are not reflective by using an overall record. True analysis is done by looking at the detail and not just making a seat of the pants conclusion.

Speaking for myself i did not use a seat of the pants approach. People in this industry watch, learn , listen and talk. When will it be long enough for you ? Not everyone had 10-15 years to cut their teeth. No year here has ever been like the Army job. This job is 100% a country club compared to what a coach and recruits there. Your literally recruiting the only people in the world who sign a contract that includes a payable up to the cost of your life ! A true commitment like that thins out your pool in ways you can not even imagine. There are dozens of coaches who had they been hired here early on would have far exceeded a 40-70 record. Hell, i hope Pitino shatters everyone of K's records but until he does one even remotely special thing i do not think there is any reason to think he is special. At some point it has to be about record. What if we get to year 15 without even one top 3 conference record will you say ? I will say enough before that.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you have a right to your opinion, which you do. So does dpod. How effective someone thinks a coach is is a subjective matter of their opinion. You clearly have a variety of reasons that make you not care about his on court performance as measured by his record. You can consider or not consider whatever justifications for his poor performance that you want, and that is a valid way for you to form your opinion. But regardless of how many times you have "tried to explain them", that doesnt mean that someone else judging a coach by objective on court results is not a valid way for them to form their opinion.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you have a right to your opinion, which you do. So does dpod. How effective someone thinks a coach is is a subjective matter of their opinion. You clearly have a variety of reasons that make you not care about his on court performance as measured by his record. You can consider or not consider whatever justifications for his poor performance that you want, and that is a valid way for you to form your opinion. But regardless of how many times you have "tried to explain them", that doesnt mean that someone else judging a coach by objective on court results is not a valid way for them to form their opinion.

That is totally fair. There are a group of posters that just wait for negative news and pounce all over it with the same superficial criticisms. You never seem to heard from them when things are going good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is totally fair. There are a group of posters that just wait for negative news and pounce all over it with the same superficial criticisms. You never seem to heard from them when things are going good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who are they ? What SUPERFICIAL CLAIMS DO THEY MAKE ?

I have been posting here much longer than you. I have over 18,000 posts. But you're right, I only post when there's negative news. Remind me - what negative news was there recently?

And "superficial"? What is superficial about the man's win-loss record? That is literally the entire base-level purpose of his job.

Top Bottom