ESPN: Virginia's Bennett rejects raise in new deal

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Virginia coach Tony Bennett declined to take a raise while extending his contract by another year.

The Cavaliers announced the extension Monday, saying Bennett asked for the money to be used to pay his staff more and for improvements to both his program as well as other Virginia teams.

"[My wife] Laurel and I are in a great spot, and in the past I've had increases in my contract," Bennett said in the news release. "We just feel a great peace about where we're at, all that's taken place, and how we feel about this athletic department and this community and this school. I love being at UVA.

"... I have more than enough, and if there are ways that this can help out the athletic department, the other programs and coaches, by not tying up so much [in men's basketball], that's my desire."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...29534/virginia-bennett-rejects-raise-new-deal

Go Gophers!!

As a former MLB PR person I find it very interesting (and highly unusual) that the subject of a contract extension press release would be directly quoted about the financial terms. Even more interesting is when that subject has a reputation for selfless humility I wonder why he would even sign off on that being included; don't take the raise and instead funnel the money to your coaches...awesome and very admirable. But to publicize it seems self aggrandizing (or as the kids would say, doing a humble brag).

As a former MLB PR person I find it very interesting (and highly unusual) that the subject of a contract extension press release would be directly quoted about the financial terms. Even more interesting is when that subject has a reputation for selfless humility I wonder why he would even sign off on that being included; don't take the raise and instead funnel the money to your coaches...awesome and very admirable. But to publicize it seems self aggrandizing (or as the kids would say, doing a humble brag).

Maybe the school thought it'd be a good idea to continue to publicize TB's impeccable rep. Would've Virginia been on the front page of ESPN for anything positive otherwise?

Right, it's like making a sizable contribution to a charity as anonymous but then telling everyone you are the anonymous doner (see curb your enthusiasm)

I didn't read it...but is it possible Bennett didn't approve the announcement? I agree it's a humble brag but it is also admirable and hard to lessen the decision's impact. All in all, hats off to Coach Bennett!

I didn't read it...but is it possible Bennett didn't approve the announcement? I agree it's a humble brag but it is also admirable and hard to lessen the decision's impact. All in all, hats off to Coach Bennett!

Absolutely 100% no chance he didn't review and approve that release.

Absolutely 100% no chance he didn't review and approve that release.

I'm sure he did approve it. But frankly, it would be odd to sign an extension with no increase, especially after you just won the national title. So I don't see the harm in addressing it. It's not quite the same as making an anonymous donation.

I'm sure he did approve it. But frankly, it would be odd to sign an extension with no increase, especially after you just won the national title. So I don't see the harm in addressing it. It's not quite the same as making an anonymous donation.

People will take shots at anyone they are envious of. If he was our coach we would be thrilled over the moon for not milking us for every dime he could get. It is public information that UVA has to reveal. Any extension requires approval and sends shockwaves through regents and University administrations when a giant raise is diverted, since it never happens, except where he already did it previously for his staff, that also had to be approved or when he requested incentives for accomplishments to achieve high pay. Most unique coaching contract we have ever seen. Winning 30 games last year without winning the ACC or advancing in the NCAA all the way would have left him 1.25 million less that he easily could have simply asked for. He would never reveal the actual charities he and his family give, those are private. Just like the amount those UVA billionaires set aside a very substantial retirement fund for him privately. Public contract-private business. Lets say the U buys Fleck a membership to Spring Hill, it must be approved and revealed. Lets say Bennett joins Augusta National, it does not need to be revealed. Every single contract at a public institution, every part of it has to meet with approval and has to be public. That is why his incentive pay that he requested had to be public. This is as private a person in the public you will find. Turns down national car commercials, the today and tonight show, no social media, no twitter, gives all the credit to everyone else, never makes excuses.

People will take shots at anyone they are envious of. If he was our coach we would be thrilled over the moon for not milking us for every dime he could get. It is public information that UVA has to reveal. Any extension requires approval and sends shockwaves through regents and University administrations when a giant raise is diverted, since it never happens, except where he already did it previously for his staff, that also had to be approved or when he requested incentives for accomplishments to achieve high pay. Most unique coaching contract we have ever seen. Winning 30 games last year without winning the ACC or advancing in the NCAA all the way would have left him 1.25 million less that he easily could have simply asked for. He would never reveal the actual charities he and his family give, those are private. Just like the amount those UVA billionaires set aside a very substantial retirement fund for him privately. Public contract-private business. Lets say the U buys Fleck a membership to Spring Hill, it must be approved and revealed. Lets say Bennett joins Augusta National, it does not need to be revealed. Every single contract at a public institution, every part of it has to meet with approval and has to be public. That is why his incentive pay that he requested had to be public. This is as private a person in the public you will find. Turns down national car commercials, the today and tonight show, no social media, no twitter, gives all the credit to everyone else, never makes excuses.

Agreed. That guy is the real deal. Unfortunately no amount of money will ever convince him to come here. On a positive note, looks like the Badgers have no chance at him either, which makes me feel good. ?

Agreed. That guy is the real deal. Unfortunately no amount of money will ever convince him to come here. On a positive note, looks like the Badgers have no chance at him either, which makes me feel good. ��

The UW chance sailed more than 10 years ago. Ours 12. Said it before, UVA is his last college job.

When was the last time you heard a coach or player say - “I have more than enough?” Like, never.
Tony is in a league of his own.

Maybe I'm missing something. Could he have not accepted the raise and then spread the money around to assistants, etc., without all the publicity? Have other coaches perhaps been very generous with their raise without getting the press involved?

The UW chance sailed more than 10 years ago. Ours 12. Said it before, UVA is his last college job.

If Tubby had taken the UVa job, maybe he'd be the Gophers coach. But our Maturi would probably have effed it up somehow.

Maybe I'm missing something. Could he have not accepted the raise and then spread the money around to assistants, etc., without all the publicity? Have other coaches perhaps been very generous with their raise without getting the press involved?

Sort of. But not really. There would have been questions about why the extension didn't have any increase in it. At least if the local reports are good at their job. Is UVa being cheap? Is Tony holding out to bolt for a better job? Etc.

Bennett is a good man. This should surprise no one. Good on him. If I had a son, I’d put Bennett at the top of the list of coaches I’d want him to play for.

Sort of. But not really. There would have been questions about why the extension didn't have any increase in it. At least if the local reports are good at their job. Is UVa being cheap? Is Tony holding out to bolt for a better job? Etc.

Thanks, but why not accept the raise and then distribute the money on the down low?

Family has represented coaches for decades and never once have ever seen or heard of this. The Assistant BB coaches are very well compensated. Right now they are turning assistants into head coaches and hiring incredibly savvy coaches. He hired a great staff to start, built a winner. That brings in better players, better coaches, better facilities, more money. It can be done here.

Bennett is a good coach and looks to be a good guy, but let’s hold back on giving him sainthood.

He has the leverage to increase the salary of his assistants and it will help him hire and keep the best coaches. He will still get paid. A one year pause won’t hurt much since he will just get it back to keep him in line with his place in the coaches pecking order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bennett is a good coach and looks to be a good guy, but let’s hold back on giving him sainthood.

He has the leverage to increase the salary of his assistants and it will help him hire and keep the best coaches. He will still get paid. A one year pause won’t hurt much since he will just get it back to keep him in line with his place in the coaches pecking order.

Bennett is a good coach is a laughable understatement. Our coaches own father calls him the best in the business when asked, Jerry West has been on the song for 5 plus years. All of his peers call him great. Rob Jeter said there is no one like that guy. Literally non one says good. Looks to be a good guy ! Thats what you judge someone on ? What about a persons actions. It is not giving him sainthood, no one has the power to do so. He turned down 9 million a year from the Knicks, 5 million from Texas, 5 million from IU, nearly 8 million from UCLA. It has never been about the money. A one year pause ! Your funny, he does not have to pause at all. That is the point. There is a ton of room between the great guy he is and a saint. Known him personally and professionally for a very long time and he is as impressive a person as you could ever meet. The best part is the humility. My favorite was not him winning the title, winning all those ACC titles, all those 30 win seasons. It was how he handled losing the 1st round fame two tourneys ago, never even mentioning losing Hunter 2 says before to a wrist injury. You know why, so he would not take away from the other team and to iron tough his own team. Your just being cynical or jealous that we have not had that here in our lifetime, or do you just hate all things from Wisconsin. Good coach ! What do you call ours ?

Bennett is a good coach is a laughable understatement. Our coaches own father calls him the best in the business when asked, Jerry West has been on the song for 5 plus years. All of his peers call him great. Rob Jeter said there is no one like that guy. Literally non one says good. Looks to be a good guy ! Thats what you judge someone on ? What about a persons actions. It is not giving him sainthood, no one has the power to do so. He turned down 9 million a year from the Knicks, 5 million from Texas, 5 million from IU, nearly 8 million from UCLA. It has never been about the money. A one year pause ! Your funny, he does not have to pause at all. That is the point. There is a ton of room between the great guy he is and a saint. Known him personally and professionally for a very long time and he is as impressive a person as you could ever meet. The best part is the humility. My favorite was not him winning the title, winning all those ACC titles, all those 30 win seasons. It was how he handled losing the 1st round fame two tourneys ago, never even mentioning losing Hunter 2 says before to a wrist injury. You know why, so he would not take away from the other team and to iron tough his own team. Your just being cynical or jealous that we have not had that here in our lifetime, or do you just hate all things from Wisconsin. Good coach ! What do you call ours ?

Ok, calm down- M. Tice

Give it up.

Paragraphs praising and defending Tony and then this shot!!!!

Any GH'er that doesnt see built for what he is now? Good grief.

Paragraphs praising and defending Tony and then this shot!!!!

Any GH'er that doesnt see built for what he is now? Good grief.

Just a question for someone that calls Bennett a good coach. Good is a strange way to describe what he has accomplished. Check his bio, there is nothing good about it.

He is the greatest and the greatest thing about him is his humility.

Yikes calm down.

Wow built. Where do you keep his statue?

I said he was a good coach. I don’t follow his career, so I went by rumors that he is a good guy. Just because I didn’t call him a coaching god, you take it as an insult. Wow.

I was pointing out that he is just deferring one yearly pay increase to give it to his assistants. It is an easy way to increase the schools expectations of assistants pay. The HC coach will eventually get that raise back when his pay is adjusted to keep it in line with other coaches at his level. Heck, Kill even did it at the U.

Read the whole release. Kill came nowhere near the two year gift Bennett gave, plus 500,000 more to the student athlete fund. Besides, his market value dwarfs uncle Jerry . not only at UVA but all the far larger offers from other programs and NBA teams. Again, i asked you about the word good used to describe him and what word would you use for our guy ?

Any chance he could do a Billy Donovan and move up to the pro ranks, especially if he adds a few more Final 4s and another NCAA title?

Top Bottom