Shannon Brooks?

Taji34

Reaction score
Will he be back for the Purdue game? Do we have any confirmation?

In Fleck's Sunday interview on WCCO, he was asked about the RB situation. he said (quoting) "Shannon should be back for the Purdue game."

but - I will note that Fleck emphasized the word "should" - so it really reads "Shannon SHOULD be back for the Purdue game." which to me, suggests that it's not a done deal, but it's possible.

BTW, Fleck said he thinks all of the injured RB's should be available for Purdue, including Rodney Smith, Mo and Wiley. he said Mo "definitely" will be back.

I thought it was interesting that Wiley got some snaps. he may be leap-frogging Williams on the depth chart.

I have heard he will be. But I heard that here on GH, not from any inside source.

He has been in uniform lately so I would think he has to be cleared to play. I just wish the team could figure out its running problems because given the level of talent at the RB position, the Gophers should be reeling off 200 yards on the ground, minimum, every game. All the press clippings and game mentions of the huge Gopher line have gone from "cool!" to "well why can't they push anyone out of the way for a running back then?"

So...one thing I noticed when re-watching the game. Everyone has talked about the o-line playing poorly and that's for sure but Bryce Williams looked way over his head when kept in on pass protection. You can't rely on your backs to be primary on d-linemen but at least chipping them or picking up a blitzing LB is huge in giving the QB an extra beat or two to throw. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at our other RBs in pass protection but I have to imagine having experienced players like Smith and possibly Brooks back will help the passing game in this regard as well.

In the press conference, Feck said he hopes to have him back next game.

In Fleck's Sunday interview on WCCO, he was asked about the RB situation. he said (quoting) "Shannon should be back for the Purdue game."

but - I will note that Fleck emphasized the word "should" - so it really reads "Shannon SHOULD be back for the Purdue game." which to me, suggests that it's not a done deal, but it's possible.

BTW, Fleck said he thinks all of the injured RB's should be available for Purdue, including Rodney Smith, Mo and Wiley. he said Mo "definitely" will be back.

I thought it was interesting that Wiley got some snaps. he may be leap-frogging Williams on the depth chart.

They seem to like Potts a lot. But if he has a concussion already, he might be prone to missing games.

Bryce Williams will be the #2/3 next year with Mo #1.
As we've seen with RB's. No need to worry about having too many. I'm sure Williams and Potts will both get carries and provide different aspects to the offense.

I think Bryce is underrated by Gopherhole.

They seem to like Potts a lot. But if he has a concussion already, he might be prone to missing games.

Bryce Williams will be the #2/3 next year with Mo #1.
As we've seen with RB's. No need to worry about having too many. I'm sure Williams and Potts will both get carries and provide different aspects to the offense.

I think Bryce is underrated by Gopherhole.

I think he's overrated by gopherhole. Very poor vision, only really runs straight forward, rarely bounces it outside or waits for a crease to develop. Missed a big hole when we went for it on 4th down play that Rodney likely finds. Also goes down on first contact too often and rarely breaks tackles or pushes the pile. Just not that powerful. His straight-line speed is solid in the open field but nothing elite. There is a reason Wiley is ahead of him. I'm not saying it will happen but I wouldn't be shocked if Potts and Ky Thomas beat him out next year but we'll see.

You are correct that Williams whiffed on his pass blocking attempts. Just like the tight ends. Sorry boys and girls, that’s just coaching or lack there of.

I think Wiley is #2 next year but also competes for #1.

You are correct that Williams whiffed on his pass blocking attempts. Just like the tight ends. Sorry boys and girls, that’s just coaching or lack there of.

It's also what can happen when you are down to your 5th string RB.

I think he's overrated by gopherhole. Very poor vision, only really runs straight forward, rarely bounces it outside or waits for a crease to develop. Missed a big hole when we went for it on 4th down play that Rodney likely finds. Also goes down on first contact too often and rarely breaks tackles or pushes the pile. Just not that powerful. His straight-line speed is solid in the open field but nothing elite. There is a reason Wiley is ahead of him. I'm not saying it will happen but I wouldn't be shocked if Potts and Ky Thomas beat him out next year but we'll see.

I could be remembering wrong but wasn't he the dominant back at Wisconsin? Looked really good if I remember correctly?

I second being not all impressed with Williams this year. Tentative. Poor vision. Not much wiggle. Looked like he regressed (maybe wasn't expecting snaps)

I second being not all impressed with Williams this year. Tentative. Poor vision. Not much wiggle. Looked like he regressed (maybe wasn't expecting snaps)

I don't think he regressed, I think the O-line last year masked some of his deficiencies which were exposed on Saturday.

On the 4th and 1 where Williams was stuffed, the left side was wide open. Rodney, Mo or Shannon would have had a 30 yard gain on the play.

Find Mo and Bryce on this chart. It’s very eye opening. It might take a while for you to find their names. If you’re old, and can’t see, you might need a magnifying glass.

https://twitter.com/pff_austingayle/status/1158768465307721728?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I love PFF!

I found Mo...2.5 yards before first contact and 5.5 yards per carry last year. So he makes about 3 yards, on average, after first contact. Not as much as I would've predicted, honestly. That said, I also think he's quite good at finding a crease and therefore avoiding first contact until the second level.

I couldn't find Bryce Williams, but I'd predict his first contact was much lower, along with YPC. Care to enlighten us?

Thanks! I love PFF!

I found Mo...2.5 yards before first contact and 5.5 yards per carry last year. So he makes about 3 yards, on average, after first contact. Not as much as I would've predicted, honestly. That said, I also think he's quite good at finding a crease and therefore avoiding first contact until the second level.

I couldn't find Bryce Williams, but I'd predict his first contact was much lower, along with YPC. Care to enlighten us?

Find Bryce Love’s name on 1.00 line, and go straight up, to just above the red line. It’s pretty easy to find, once you know where to look. About 1.6 yards before first contact, and 4.3 yards per carry. He’s one of the lower ones for both metrics.

Last edited:

Any coach who allows their 5th stringer to be less effective than their 1st stringer should be fired, amirite?

Find Bryce Love’s name on 1.00 line, and go straight up, to just above the red line. It’s pretty easy to find, once you know where to look. About 1.6 yards before first contact, and 4.3 yards per carry. He’s one of the lower ones for both metrics.

Thanks! That's about what I would've predicted. He's either super unlucky (i.e., the line blocks horribly when he's in) or he misses the creases that Mo sees...and is therefore contacted earlier.

Thanks! That's about what I would've predicted. He's either super unlucky (i.e., the line blocks horribly when he's in) or he misses the creases that Mo sees...and is therefore contacted earlier.

In person he looks significantly slighter than either Rodney or Mo (or Brooks). I don’t think we should write him off but he does seem like a) he needs to get bigger and stronger or b) he needs better holes to run through or more opportunities to get outside the tackles, and preferably both.

Brooks is my #1 when healthy but have to wonder how healthy he is - he didn’t have a great year when he played hurt his sophomore year. OTOH he looked great last year in his one start - until the knee. It’s really hard to say where he’s at in his rehab and physical conditioning.

Bottom line the stats show everyone is scrapping for yards with the current scheme and blocking. I expect they’ll incorporate more wrinkles as the season goes on.

Right. Of course, this was his true freshman season, but he didn’t look any better on Saturday. Worst of all, he blew his blocking assignment on the strip sack play. I’d rather not see him in there anymore this season.

Right. Of course, this was his true freshman season, but he didn’t look any better on Saturday. Worst of all, he blew his blocking assignment on the strip sack play. I’d rather not see him in there anymore this season.

Failure=Growth

Last edited:

Why can't they use one of the blocking TEs as a fullback? Didn't they use Colton Beebe on occasion at FB?

48d4dea0b046cef5c4d3ee07946988ae.jpg

Let’s just say I know the Purdue fans I know are very interested in whether or not he is available next Saturday.

48d4dea0b046cef5c4d3ee07946988ae.jpg

Let’s just say I know the Purdue fans I know are very interested in whether or not he is available next Saturday.

Mitch had a reception? I don't remember that.

Top Bottom