Jerry Kill steps down as AD at SIU to become "special assistant" at Va Tech

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Odd. Would be interesting to hear the back story- suspect it is a mutual separation. Kill seems to be hard to work with.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Rittenberg chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Kill is a fraud. He stopped coaches on his staff at MN from taking other jobs because he preached loyalty. He ripped Fleck for not retaining any of his guys and ripped loyalty. Loved GH's tweet. Nothing offensive about it at all, it's factual.

Jerry is dead to me after his interview on Fleck. He deserves any dickish thing said about him until he publicly apologizes.

Calling it now, somehow, someway, we will play VT in a bowl game this year.

Kill is a fraud. He stopped coaches on his staff at MN from taking other jobs because he preached loyalty. He ripped Fleck for not retaining any of his guys and ripped loyalty. Loved GH's tweet. Nothing offensive about it at all, it's factual.

Pretty much.

Only General Sherman has burnt more bridges than Jerry.

Last edited:

I always liked Kill and was happy to have him as the Gopher's coach. Also liked his system and his assistants... the whole "established familiarity coaching family" vibe. I will always feel bad for him and his family as it relates to a health issue keeping him from what he loves the most.

Sadly, with all the good will that was felt toward him here at MN from the fan base, he has managed to squander much of that good will by trashing the current coach publicly in a way that even includes personal/character attacks, and has indeed not lived by his own word when it comes to loyalty.

Agreed. Every word of it is true. Jerry made his own bed, now he can lie in it.

At least he admits he tried to leave football but just couldn't do it.

Interesting how he preached loyalty and dedication but has not been on a job for more than 2 years since leaving Minnesota.

https://siusalukis.com/news/2019/9/...f-as-special-assistant-to-the-head-coach.aspx

The timing on this move is really odd, could understand it more if it happened during the off-season but very strange to step down from an AD position to join a new position with a football program part way into the football season.

Honestly getting kind of sad to see the way he keeps hopping from job to job because he can't reconcile life after football given what his health will allow for.

Think he will help VT figure out how to #RUTM more?

I lost a lot of respect for Kill the past few years, so it really doesn't matter to me what he does, nor do I care. Best of luck to him.

Think he will help VT figure out how to #RUTM more?

I lost a lot of respect for Kill the past few years, so it really doesn't matter to me what he does, nor do I care. Best of luck to him.

i've been saying it for years. ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he helps turn boys into men and football his is vehicle. rebecca knew she was marrying a ball coach, health be damned. this latest move was likely a decision for the ol' ball coach on which way he could impact the student athletes the most.

i've been saying it for years. ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he helps turn boys into men and football his is vehicle. rebecca knew she was marrying a ball coach, health be damned. this latest move was likely a decision for the ol' ball coach on which way he could impact the student athletes the most.

BS. Jerry cares about Jerry. His motives for doing this are to get back into coaching to stroke his ego, it isn't about shaping young men or for some high value reason. He sees himself as a football coach and can't handle being thought of as anything else.

RUTM???

Have you been watching the Gophers since Fleck has been hired??? Kill and staff had a much more diversified run game than we are watching now.

He can't not be a football ooach

He must not be able to handle not being a football coach, it is who he is. Fuentes better watch out as he may try to stab him in the back and take the head coaching job for himself.

He must not be able to handle not being a football coach, it is who he is. Fuentes better watch out as he may try to stab him in the back and take the head coaching job for himself.

Almost every single team in the country tries really hard to establish the inside run, even if it isn't working. This was an odd critique of Kill and it's an odd critique of Fleck/Ciarocca.

I always liked Kill and was happy to have him as the Gopher's coach. Also liked his system and his assistants... the whole "established familiarity coaching family" vibe. I will always feel bad for him and his family as it relates to a health issue keeping him from what he loves the most.

Sadly, with all the good will that was felt toward him here at MN from the fan base, he has managed to squander much of that good will by trashing the current coach publicly in a way that even includes personal/character attacks, and has indeed not lived by his own word when it comes to loyalty.

This is about where I'm at. I liked Kill and I think the U (Coyle, Kaler) really threw him and his regime under the bus for a PR movement. I also think Coyle used that PR movement to hire a coach he wanted and hedge his bets. You buy yourself and your next coach additional leash when you talk about needing to change so much rolling off of a 10 win season. I think it was gross and it's the main reason why I do not like Coyle.

That said, I lost a lot of respect for Jerry after that interview he had, I think it was on KFAN. I don't think it was fair to his former players and the countless people who had a lot to do with the U (fans, students, general public) to go out of his way to throw the new coach under the bus. It was the low road and it came off really poorly. It changed how I looked at him.

I don't think coaching football is good for his health but I think he'll do it until he passes.

I love Jerry Kill. I think he's a lost soul without football players to coach. I hope that he finds something that makes him happy.

God bless him.

Top Bottom