Jerry Kill steps down as AD at SIU to become "special assistant" at Va Tech

I hope his wife doesn't mind moving again. Their life is like that of military folks - constant moves. Since Jerry left here, he's been in Kansas, New Jersey, Illinois, and now Virginia.

There is a way to move forward and introduce change without trashing the former staff. Coyle bashed the previous staff, introduced PJ and left him very little room but to agree with his new boss on day one.
The previous staff established academic excellence! There was zero need to overhaul it. The previous staff had 90 some per cent of the players actively embracing bible study groups. We just won 9 games! Everyone else who was fired was trending down.

Yes, each new coach establishes his culture but not at the expense of the previous staffs reputation and accomplishments. Coyle lied and pretty much forced PJ to look bad. (I hope that’s what happened!) I’d like to think PJ would have handled things different if his boss was honorable.

Maybe everyone needs to stop being so sensitive. That includes Kill and all the different factions here. Sometimes it’s ok to not like somebody or things they say/do. It doesn’t mean they are the anti-Christ, unless it’s criminal libel/slander.

Maybe everyone needs to stop being so sensitive. That includes Kill and all the different factions here. Sometimes it’s ok to not like somebody or things they say/do. It doesn’t mean they are the anti-Christ, unless it’s criminal libel/slander.

When you don’t tell the truth people tend to react a bit sensitively to that.

Why do we care what job Kill takes or doesn’t take?

Literally the only people who think this way are you and the handful of other posters who constantly try to make every single topic into a pissing match about this staff vs. previous ones because they don't like Fleck.

In other words, you are saying, “I’m rubber and you’re glue”....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope his wife doesn't mind moving again. Their life is like that of military folks - constant moves. Since Jerry left here, he's been in Kansas, New Jersey, Illinois, and now Virginia.

Don't their kids and grandkids(?) live in S Illinois? I thought they had a lake home down there, or something to that effect. Would not surprise me if she has continued to make that her main residence, and then perhaps during the season stays with him at different times. They probably just rent a condo/house at each of those coaching stops for Jerry.

There is a lot of "gray area" here.

Yes, Fleck said some nice things about Kill when he took over. And then Fleck talked about the program 'starting over' and having to 'change the culture.'

Someone looking from the outside might interpret 'starting over' and 'change the culture' to mean that the previous coaching staff was going something wrong that needed to be fixed. On the other hand, a Fleck supporter would say Fleck meant he wanted to take the program in a different direction - that it was not meant as a slight against Kill.

Maybe Kill is dead wrong, and he misunderstood everything Fleck said. But, I think a reasonable person should be able to understand how Kill might have seen Fleck's comments as dissing the previous staff and their efforts.

If your business changed management, and the new manager said they had to change the culture and start over, would you take that as a ringing endorsement of your efforts under prior management - or would you perceive it as a criticism of your efforts under prior management?

You are reading way too much into it.

New leaders always want to the install their “culture”, their way of doing things, their priorities, their incentives, their “people”. It happens all the time. If you came in to lead an organization would you just leave it the same or change it to mimic things you have done in the past that were successful? And you have to remember, the people who to have the power to fire you are the ones who wanted change in the organization!

And, NO, I did not perceive it as a criticism of my past efforts. That is childish, I did my best to help the organization succeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Literally the only people who think this way are you and the handful of other posters who constantly try to make every single topic into a pissing match about this staff vs. previous ones because they don't like Fleck.

Perfectly made my point. I won't attack Kill, so I can't like Fleck. The sad part is, I'll bet you don't even see that.

Perfectly made my point. I won't attack Kill, so I can't like Fleck. The sad part is, I'll bet you don't even see that.

I was going to try and explain how nothing in my post proves your point in any way shape or form but I realized that would just be a complete waste of time so I will boil it down to this.

Your assertion that anyone (outside of you and a couple other posters) thinks the only way to show loyalty to Fleck is by trashing what came before is BS. It just is. You don't have to hate Kill in order to support or believe in Fleck. The vast majority of the board gets that, just a few like you who think it always has to be one against the other.

I was going to try and explain how nothing in my post proves your point in any way shape or form but I realized that would just be a complete waste of time so I will boil it down to this.

Your assertion that anyone (outside of you and a couple other posters) thinks the only way to show loyalty to Fleck is by trashing what came before is BS. It just is. You don't have to hate Kill in order to support or believe in Fleck. The vast majority of the board gets that, just a few like you who think it always has to be one against the other.

Actually, what you (initially) said was not only that it is BS, but that folks who think that do the exact opposite because they don’t like PJ. You know - that you are rubber and they are glue. Or maybe “I know you are, but what am I”. Both really good arguments.

Brewster was a risky hire. If he did well, Maturi looks like a genius. Unfortunately that didn't happen. It's easy to criticize the decision now but I think it was worth the shot at the time.

I think Brewster is Exhibit A as to why head coaching experience is preferred when trying to hire a new coach at a program that wants to get in the top tier. I think it's especially important if the program is seen as languishing or stalled.

Brewster was an okay recruiter and motivator, but he had no clue when it came to the CEO part of the job.

Actually, what you (initially) said was not only that it is BS, but that folks who think that do the exact opposite because they don’t like PJ. You know - that you are rubber and they are glue. Or maybe “I know you are, but what am I”. Both really good arguments.

I think I am like a lot of GH’s. We appreciated Kill when he was coaching but didn’t appreciate his comments concerning PJ after he left the U. It was like PJ was somehow partly responsible for his being released. Which of course was ridiculous. Maybe Kill thought that TC was an extension of his philosophy and getting replaced was slap in his face. Firing TC is the same as firing JK. Sorry Jerry. You couldn’t do the job and had to be replaced. Same with TC.

I think I am like a lot of GH’s. We appreciated Kill when he was coaching but didn’t appreciate his comments concerning PJ after he left the U.

Yep. As I have said - I was a big fan of Kill. Not a fan of how he has acted since leaving here.

I think I am like a lot of GH’s. We appreciated Kill when he was coaching but didn’t appreciate his comments concerning PJ after he left the U. It was like PJ was somehow partly responsible for his being released. Which of course was ridiculous. Maybe Kill thought that TC was an extension of his philosophy and getting replaced was slap in his face. Firing TC is the same as firing JK. Sorry Jerry. You couldn’t do the job and had to be replaced. Same with TC.

My Lord, you're just absolutely the worst.

Kill is much more southern and blunt with his comments and insults. Fleck is more like Minnesotans with his passive-aggressive comments and insults.

Kill insult: “you’re a divorced, bald, little metro sexual man with too much energy”.

Fleck insult: “the culture you’re part of is not elite. I respect your HOW, but you just don’t have a Nekton mentality, you’re old. Plain and simple. One of the older coaches in the country. I’m young, one of the youngest. Last year we were the youngest by the way, now we’re the second youngest. I might be beating a dead horse, but I just need to reiterate this point. It will be my backup excuse when we don’t look much better from last year, and fans start wanting me gone, but I’m rambling now. Row the boat, Ski-U-Mah, go Gophers.”

I've never understood why Kill cared so little about Matt Limegrover's firing yet Claey's is a martyr.

Last edited:

I've never understood why Kill cared so little about Matt Limegrover's firing yet Claey's is a martyr.
I feel like I remember hearing Jerry wasn't happy about Limegrover getting fired.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Maybe you have never understood it because your recollection is wrong. Kill was upset about Limegrover and I recall it created a rift between him and TC.

I feel like I remember hearing Jerry wasn't happy about Limegrover getting fired.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

He didn't "sound" happy, but he also said that it was TC's team now and his call.

Nothing to indicate Jerry was upset with TC directly, maybe just sad for his friend. He seemed to understand that TC had to do what TC felt was needed.

He didn't "sound" happy, but he also said that it was TC's team now and his call.

Nothing to indicate Jerry was upset with TC directly, maybe just sad for his friend. He seemed to understand that TC had to do what TC felt was needed.

TC actually said it caused friction between him and Kill, but please continue.

Bump - according to Shooter, Kill is taking a pay cut of $40,000 by moving from his AD job to an assistant coaching position.

Bump - according to Shooter, Kill is taking a pay cut of $40,000 by moving from his AD job to an assistant coaching position.

Well, for most of us, a $40,000 pay cut would hurt.

When you've had several years of multi-million-dollar salaries, not so much.

JTG

Top Bottom