Jerry Kill steps down as AD at SIU to become "special assistant" at Va Tech

I always liked Kill and was happy to have him as the Gopher's coach. Also liked his system and his assistants... the whole "established familiarity coaching family" vibe. I will always feel bad for him and his family as it relates to a health issue keeping him from what he loves the most.

Sadly, with all the good will that was felt toward him here at MN from the fan base, he has managed to squander much of that good will by trashing the current coach publicly in a way that even includes personal/character attacks, and has indeed not lived by his own word when it comes to loyalty.

+08

It's too bad the way things have gone since JK left the program. It would have been nice to have him remain in good graces with the program....but unfortunately that's not the case with the way he handled things. And I'm not saying that he didn't have some right to be upset with the way the Clayes dismissal was handled. I certainly thought that Clayes deserved a shot to be the HC with the way he pulled the team together in the aftermath of Kill's departure and the rape allegations.

I have to admit that I too was upset that he didn't get a shot. But that's no reason to act like a child....and certainly no reason to rip Fleck. Would I want to go back and not have Fleck be hired? No way. I'm very happy to have him as the HC. There were concerns with Clayes taking over that were unfortunately a little too steep to overcome. He had always been a behind the scenes guy. Didn't really have the charisma to be at the forefront of a major P5 program. Really....looking back....what would have concerned me the most is how he would have been able to recruit. I just don't think that he would have been able to snag higher end talent. I don't mean to sound like an a$$....but Clayes seemed like he had the personality equivalent of rice porridge.

Despite the strained relationship between Kill and the Gophers....I still can't bring myself to dislike him. And I already liked Leach and Washington State prior....but how cool that Clayes and the Gophers as two touchdown underdogs beat the Cougars....and then after the Gophers fired Clayes....Leach scooped Clayes up as his new DC. Very, very cool. Without knowing much better....you'd think that the pirate would maybe be a little more of a vengeful type of a person who wouldn't even consider something like that. Glad that my perception was off.

I see it like this:

If you had one thing in your life that you loved above all, something that gave you your feeling of identity and belonging - and then that was taken away from you because of health issues, how would you respond?

Kill is a coach. period. If he can't be a head coach, he's been trying to stay close to the game in some way. My gut tells me that being an AD just wasn't cutting it because he didn't have the same day-to-day connection with a football team.

It's like an addiction. Something I can relate to as a recovering alcoholic and drug abuser.

I feel sorry for him.

As far as the interview, I think it's pretty clear that Kill just flat-out doesn't like Fleck. I suspect this goes back to when they coached together at NIU. There is bad blood there - at least on Kill's part.

We'll have to wait for the tell-all book to get the inside story.

It's been an odd road since he left.
Retires after rebuilding the Minnesota program due to health reasons, everyone supports him. Tough decision
Begins a new job at K-State. OK, guess he still wants to work but just can't coach football anymore. Fair enough.
Begins new coaching job at Rutgers. Wait what? I thought he had to walk away from us because of his health and now he goes back to another Big Ten school?
Resigns from Rutgers because of his illness. Did he really not see this coming? And of all the places to make a comeback, Rutgers?
Jerry Kill hired at SIU as AD. Fair enough, administrative role, not coaching. Fine.
Jerry Kill resigns at SIU to be special assistant to head coach. WTF?

When Jerry Kill was first hired here, his story was pretty amazing. Fighting through his illnesses and rising up through the ranks with dedication and hard work at each program with out a lot of flash and style. I think most coaches have egos but with Kill there seemed to be a bit of humbleness there. Like his time at Saginaw Valley and Emporia State gave him a more pure look at the game in a way.

When he had to walk away from the game here, it was sad, but I thought for him it was kind of riding off in the sunset kind of thing. He had rebuilt programs at various levels and created a team in the Big Ten capable of playing on New Year's Day. His illness had always been an issue but I thought with his retirement, especially considering the salary he made, he could basically retire and just enjoy his Saturdays care free.

When he went back to K-State, I figured it was an alright move. He wanted to keep working but didn't want the Saturday stress. But when he went to Rutgers, it really didn't sit well with me. A few years ago he couldn't continue at the U of M in any capacity but now he goes to Rutgers? I liked the guy before but that had been eroded. And then when he made those comments about Fleck the last of my good will was gone.

I mean say what you will about Glen Mason and Tim Brewster but from what I've seen they've at least been cordial in the years since.

Almost every single team in the country tries really hard to establish the inside run, even if it isn't working. This was an odd critique of Kill and it's an odd critique of Fleck/Ciarocca.

I liked Jerry Kill, was in favor of his hire for the coaching staff credibility. He went to Kansas State I think, believing he would be there next head coach as a special assistant. That is why I said what I said about Coach Kill in this thread and the currect VT coach, the VT administration may even be thinking this. This is no reflection on Fleck or Ciarocca, I really have not commented on there play calling at all this season. Just thought the Offensive line would be better and playing better than they have so far. I like Fleck and his staff and think they have brought in better overall athletes in my time as a fan, it is taking time to gel and grow as a program.
My disappointment about Oline play, probably say's more about unrealistic expectations as a fan, than it does the offensive line performance. I almost forget that they are mostly inexperienced players that have not played a lot of football together yet. I'm waiting for that nasty streak, I'm a Big 10 O lineman at least I look the part getting off the bus and suitig up for the games.
That Gophers Oline group seems like they need to take out some agression on something, beat the snot out of some tacklings dummys wearing Iowa jersey's or something that will make them get a little more piss and vinegar in them for the Gophers. Smash a Herky the Hawkeye head, or smoke a Purdue Pete train with some sledgehammers. They need a beater car to pound the crap out of with some pikes.

Last edited:

Kill is like anyone else, he can switch jobs when he wants. Nobody here knows what his arrangements were with his previous employers was so commenting on his loyalty is not really fair. His comments on Fleck during his interview seem out of line but again, we do not know their relationship. They go back a bit it could be Fleck might have done or said something to set off the comments, they do still have some common associations. Jerry Kill is a good man.

I could care less and wonder why anyone else does.

I see it like this:

If you had one thing in your life that you loved above all, something that gave you your feeling of identity and belonging - and then that was taken away from you because of health issues, how would you respond?

Kill is a coach. period. If he can't be a head coach, he's been trying to stay close to the game in some way. My gut tells me that being an AD just wasn't cutting it because he didn't have the same day-to-day connection with a football team.

It's like an addiction. Something I can relate to as a recovering alcoholic and drug abuser.

I feel sorry for him.

As far as the interview, I think it's pretty clear that Kill just flat-out doesn't like Fleck. I suspect this goes back to when they coached together at NIU. There is bad blood there - at least on Kill's part.

We'll have to wait for the tell-all book to get the inside story.

It a combination of all you said. I have seen this in my personal life where a loved one, due to physical setbacks and side affects of medications can have a clouded perception. Hard to put oneself in the shoes of someone that has lost something they are so passionate about. Losing that something becomes losing everything. Nothing really to poke fun at.

Kill is like anyone else, he can switch jobs when he wants. Nobody here knows what his arrangements were with his previous employers was so commenting on his loyalty is not really fair. His comments on Fleck during his interview seem out of line but again, we do not know their relationship. They go back a bit it could be Fleck might have done or said something to set off the comments, they do still have some common associations. Jerry Kill is a good man.

I don't have a dog in this fight, other than an affinity to the U of M, but sure seems like you're bending over backwards to excuse Kill and infer that Fleck must have been at fault. I guess I do have a dog in the fight-whatever good will Kill had developed is gone-his commentary should have been kept to himself and is not evidence of someone I would term a good man. He may have issues with Fleck, whatever, but he brought negative publicity to an institution and fanbase that gave him a chance, loyally backed him, and compensated him well. He may be displeased with how Coyle handled the dismissal of Claeys, there may be sour grapes that he wasn't given the AD job or another cushy position, but that doesn't fly in my book. Be an adult and a leader of men, as you claim, rather than a vindictive poor loser looking to split a fanbase when you've been looooong gone. As someone else pointed out, if anyone in recent times had reason to tear apart the Gophers that'd be Glen Mason, but to my knowledge, he's never come close to being anything less than professional towards the U.

I don't have a dog in this fight, other than an affinity to the U of M, but sure seems like you're bending over backwards to excuse Kill and infer that Fleck must have been at fault. I guess I do have a dog in the fight-whatever good will Kill had developed is gone-his commentary should have been kept to himself and is not evidence of someone I would term a good man. He may have issues with Fleck, whatever, but he brought negative publicity to an institution and fanbase that gave him a chance, loyally backed him, and compensated him well. He may be displeased with how Coyle handled the dismissal of Claeys, there may be sour grapes that he wasn't given the AD job or another cushy position, but that doesn't fly in my book. Be an adult and a leader of men, as you claim, rather than a vindictive poor loser looking to split a fanbase when you've been looooong gone. As someone else pointed out, if anyone in recent times had reason to tear apart the Gophers that'd be Glen Mason, but to my knowledge, he's never come close to being anything less than professional towards the U.

Well said Cool Hand

Jerry, you followed Brewster, a man who crystallized the concept of clueless. It would have taken a monumental effort on your part to screw that up. You didn't and for that thank you.

Jerry, you followed Brewster, a man who crystallized the concept of clueless. It would have taken a monumental effort on your part to screw that up. You didn't and for that thank you.

Tim for all the mess that resulted, never said a bad word about the school / anyone at it.

I always liked Kill and was happy to have him as the Gopher's coach. Also liked his system and his assistants... the whole "established familiarity coaching family" vibe. I will always feel bad for him and his family as it relates to a health issue keeping him from what he loves the most.

Sadly, with all the good will that was felt toward him here at MN from the fan base, he has managed to squander much of that good will by trashing the current coach publicly in a way that even includes personal/character attacks, and has indeed not lived by his own word when it comes to loyalty.

+1.

I guess I'd like someone to catalog Jerry Kill's many sins. So far I get that he once said something negative about PJ Fleck. Go ahead and tell me all the rest.

I guess I'd like someone to catalog Jerry Kill's many sins. So far I get that he once said something negative about PJ Fleck. Go ahead and tell me all the rest.

For me another one was trying to not only name his replacement as an interim, but then getting upset when that replacement was let go. Also trying to name his own new position in the athletic department after he resigned as head coach.

All this "he just wants to be a coach" is BS!

He made commitment to be the AD of a school that took a chance on him twice! He just looks like a mess and it is a shame, because he did a good job at the U.

He made commitment to be the AD of a school that took a chance on him twice! He just looks like a mess and it is a shame, because he did a good job at the U.

"We're grateful to Jerry for taking on the leadership of Saluki athletics at a critical time, and we respect his decision to return to his passion," said SIU Chancellor John M. Dunn. He has worked diligently on behalf of the university and the athletics program. In just over a year, he has hired seven head coaches, reorganized the program's administrative structure and dedicated himself to fundraising efforts. Notably, he was an architect of the 20-year, $10 million agreement with Banterra Bank to rename the SIU Arena the Banterra Center. We are fortunate to have had his energy and enthusiasm focused on SIU and know he will continue to do great things moving forward.

Doesn't sound like they mind that much.

People leave positions all the time in sports. Our own coach left a school where he had made a commitment to be the coach and that "took a chance on him" mid contract to come here. There was nothing wrong with that. There are valid reasons to be upset with Kill, but I dont know that this is one of them.

Top Bottom