Jerry Kill steps down as AD at SIU to become "special assistant" at Va Tech

People leave positions all the time in sports. Our own coach left a school where he had made a commitment to be the coach and that "took a chance on him" mid contract to come here. There was nothing wrong with that. There are valid reasons to be upset with Kill, but I dont know that this is one of them.

Um ... timing might be difference? Maybe no good time, but certainly not during your most visible sport's season. But you are right about PJ and probably about almost every college of a major program who ever existed. Quite sure Whalen won't bail on the U, but wouldn't put money on anyone else..

I always liked Kill and was happy to have him as the Gopher's coach. Also liked his system and his assistants... the whole "established familiarity coaching family" vibe. I will always feel bad for him and his family as it relates to a health issue keeping him from what he loves the most.

Sadly, with all the good will that was felt toward him here at MN from the fan base, he has managed to squander much of that good will by trashing the current coach publicly in a way that even includes personal/character attacks, and has indeed not lived by his own word when it comes to loyalty.

Well said, I totally agree.

This is about where I'm at. I liked Kill and I think the U (Coyle, Kaler) really threw him and his regime under the bus for a PR movement. I also think Coyle used that PR movement to hire a coach he wanted and hedge his bets. You buy yourself and your next coach additional leash when you talk about needing to change so much rolling off of a 10 win season. I think it was gross and it's the main reason why I do not like Coyle.

That said, I lost a lot of respect for Jerry after that interview he had, I think it was on KFAN. I don't think it was fair to his former players and the countless people who had a lot to do with the U (fans, students, general public) to go out of his way to throw the new coach under the bus. It was the low road and it came off really poorly. It changed how I looked at him.

I don't think coaching football is good for his health but I think he'll do it until he passes.

Agree with this.

I guess I'd like someone to catalog Jerry Kill's many sins. So far I get that he once said something negative about PJ Fleck. Go ahead and tell me all the rest.

That's putting it lightly.

Prior to that he said a lot of negative things about the U. Said he would never set foot on the campus again. Got upset that no one from his staff was retained. He's always preached loyalty yet here he is leaving somewhere again.

I really like him at the U, but he's turned into an grumpy, old man.

Kill knows PJ and his ex wife probably better than anyone here. Who knows the dynamics of that entire situation. Other than airing dirty laundry inappropriately in a public forum I can’t fault him for his ill will towards Kaler or Coyle as I share in that. Did he ever insult the school, fans, state? No. That said, he never apologized for the divorce comments and that alone is enough to cast lingering daggers his way.

As far as the loyalty stuff, etc, is there any coach at this level that isn’t a raging narcissist control freak? I can’t think of one. Some of you just don’t like him in the same way others don’t like the past and current administrators or our coach’s funny habits. I don’t quite get the venom with the exception of the divorce statement. I wonder if the seizure activity, medication isn’t affecting him somewhat. He’s always been a bit thin skinned however.

Kill knows PJ and his ex wife probably better than anyone here. Who knows the dynamics of that entire situation. Other than airing dirty laundry inappropriately in a public forum I can’t fault him for his ill will towards Kaler or Coyle as I share in that. Did he ever insult the school, fans, state? No. That said, he never apologized for the divorce comments and that alone is enough to cast lingering daggers his way.

As far as the loyalty stuff, etc, is there any coach at this level that isn’t a raging narcissist control freak? I can’t think of one. Some of you just don’t like him in the same way others don’t like the past and current administrators or our coach’s funny habits. I don’t quite get the venom with the exception of the divorce statement. I wonder if the seizure activity, medication isn’t affecting him somewhat. He’s always been a bit thin skinned however.

There's a lot for me to like about Jerry and unfortunately several comments that would have been better left unsaid by him as well. Like Pompous said Jerry knows PJ and we don't know what Jerry knows....not defending his right to air some of it out loud. But, pretty confident we don't know the whole story. And ya, absolutely no doubt, he is bitter! He is a competitor!

Regarding SIU, the Prez was thrilled with his accomplishments as AD and knows his passion to coach. Tirelessly working on his job as AD is who Jerry is. Tirelessly working...he just wants to do it coaching football.

I wish Jerry well!

I guess I'd like someone to catalog Jerry Kill's many sins. <b>So far I get that he once said something negative about PJ Fleck. </b>Go ahead and tell me all the rest.

No need. The bolded is more than enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's the guy with the copy and paste ol jer quote?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Just for the record, I'd like to point out this is my first post in this thread.

I have nothing else to say.

Doesn't sound like they mind that much.

What else are they going to say? Of course they will try to spin it as a positive. That is what most places do when someone leaves. Said earlier in the thread that the timing on this is really odd for all parties involved. During the off season sure but part way into the season is a really odd time for and AD to leave on his own and for a football team to bring in a new staff member.

It is time to move on from Jerry. Good luck to him but it seems like such a long time ago that he was here.

Good for him. Can't wait for him to resign and be a AD or special assistant somewhere else in fall of 2020. How about JMU dukes for next year

This is about where I'm at. I liked Kill and I think the U (Coyle, Kaler) really threw him and his regime under the bus for a PR movement. I also think Coyle used that PR movement to hire a coach he wanted and hedge his bets. You buy yourself and your next coach additional leash when you talk about needing to change so much rolling off of a 10 win season. I think it was gross and it's the main reason why I do not like Coyle.

That said, I lost a lot of respect for Jerry after that interview he had, I think it was on KFAN. I don't think it was fair to his former players and the countless people who had a lot to do with the U (fans, students, general public) to go out of his way to throw the new coach under the bus. It was the low road and it came off really poorly. It changed how I looked at him.

I don't think coaching football is good for his health but I think he'll do it until he passes.

That 2015 season keeps getting better and better. How many years til we remember it as 11 wins?

I'm not taking a position other than to state that the bad blood between Kill and Fleck seems to be mutual. It would help to explain Fleck's trashing of the existing program when he took over. Coach Kill absolutely put the program on the path to academic success, which has continued after Coach Fleck took over, yet there has not been one word of acknowledgement for what Kill did from Fleck.

I'm not taking a position other than to state that the bad blood between Kill and Fleck seems to be mutual. It would help to explain Fleck's trashing of the existing program when he took over. Coach Kill absolutely put the program on the path to academic success, which has continued after Coach Fleck took over, yet there has not been one word of acknowledgement for what Kill did from Fleck.

May someone trash me like this at my funeral.

"I want to thank Jerry Kill. Coach Kill did tell me, hey, tell him you're a Kill guy. I said I'm a Kill guy. I'm part of the Kill tree. I do know that. Coach Kill taught me a lot how to care for players. When I already did care for players, he taught me how to care more."

"Well, Coach Kill taught me so much in this profession. Coach Kill, like I said, he taught me how to care through the head coach's eyes. They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. That is Jerry Kill to a "T". And his staff was absolutely elite to me. We had a lot of success together, and I knew I wanted to become a head football coach, and leaving that staff to take a job at Rutgers was very difficult for me to do because I enjoyed my time with Jerry Kill. It was a very influential time in my life."

"Like I said, for the first year of digging, that's what that is. It's digging to find out how much we have to dig, what culture -- what types of culture we have to change, what doesn't need to be changed, how we can work through the different branches of how we've got to be able to get things done, but I do know this, the staff that was here before deserve those nine wins. They did a tremendous job on the field, and we want to continue that type of success as we move forward."

Last edited:

What’s the over/under in months until the inevitable “resigning for health reasons” moment?

I recall a few instances where reading between the lines, one could infer Fleck wasn't complimenting the previous coaching (when he referred to "changing the culture") but I do not recall a time when he has trashed previous coaching. I pay pretty close attention to such things but it is always possible I missed this completely. Do you have a link?

Well, except for all the times that he did.

I recall a few instances where reading between the lines, one could infer Fleck wasn't complimenting the previous coaching (when he referred to "changing the culture") but I do not recall a time when he has trashed previous coaching. I pay pretty close attention to such things but it is always possible I missed this completely. Do you have a link?

Some people took the "changing the culture" comments as an insult to the previous staff. I thought it was a bit of a stretch.

What’s the over/under in months until the inevitable “resigning for health reasons” moment?

I hope not.

My hope is that he is not directly involved with coaching the players or in gameplanning. He can be far enough removed from it that it won't consume him. He can get his needed rest and keep the stress down as much as possible.

You get banned if you criticize a current coach, but I guess it is OK to "Troll" Jerry...

That 2015 season keeps getting better and better. How many years til we remember it as 11 wins?

Sorry, I meant 9 wins. I made a mistake. We're all prone to it, other than you.

Oh, by the way, it was the 2016 team.

Pretty sure Brewster improved the academic success quite a bit from Mason.

Sorry, I meant 9 wins. I made a mistake. We're all prone to it, other than you.

Oh, by the way, it was the 2016 team.

Tongue in cheek Bob, I was poking fun at the people who hold that season in such high regard.

I see the argument now is that PJ has only been positive about the past staff. Oh dear. And he never blames the players either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom