Jerry Kill steps down as AD at SIU to become "special assistant" at Va Tech

I see the argument now is that PJ has only been positive about the past staff. Oh dear. And he never blames the players either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where has anyone said that?

Just for the record, I'd like to point out this is my first post in this thread.

I have nothing else to say.

I'm just posting again to say I've done an excellent job staying out of this thread.

There are a lot of posts in here about Kill "preaching loyalty." Serious question: When did he do that?

He and his staff were together for a long time, and it's hard to disagree that he was loyal to them. He used it as a selling point in recruiting, and rightfully so. And most people, if asked, would say they value loyalty. But did he ever say he's more loyal to his employers than anyone else or that his employers need to be loyal to him? If so, I completely missed it.

Before he came to Minnesota he was the head coach at four schools, including Northern Illinois for three years and Emporia State for two.

So maybe a second question: If he did "preach loyalty," why did anybody buy it?

On loyalty I wonder about the vitriol if PJ ever leaves of his own accord. That probably means the team is better. But it also means he’ll take his recruiting class with him. Interesting to think about.

I see the argument now is that PJ has only been positive about the past staff. Oh dear. And he never blames the players either.

Careful there, Spoof. Kill spent his first two years at the U never missing an opportunity to throw Brewster's recruits under the bus.

Where has anyone said that?

Nobody did....but when has stuff like that ever really mattered to Spoofin in his quest to toss out one liners and stir the pot?

Post 79, 82, and even GiI in 84 states that he doesn’t feel what others think was an insult was an insult.

Any of these posts could be examples that imply the idea that PJ hasn’t insulted Kill. FTR, IMO, any number of the statements PJ has said about the culture and talent he inherited could be taken as such. AND, I also think Kill has handled just about everything wrong since he left here.

Careful there, Spoof. Kill spent his first two years at the U never missing an opportunity to throw Brewster's recruits under the bus.

And I would consider that an insult to Brewster. Not sure of your point? I never have nor would I claim Kill is above insults. Clearly. It seems to be the norm for him lately.
What I claimed was that PJ isn’t either.

I like Kill.
He was a good ball coach, and a little bit old school and kind of country.
He had health set backs that didn't allow him to fulfill his plan. From my point of view, his effort, plan, and staff were sound, but health got in the way.
I am pretty sure he had a pretty good idea (backup plan) of his position within the U when he was thinking about his resignation. But not everybody had the same idea.

If I was in that position, I'd be upset. And I'd probably lash out of somebody spoke ill of the job I did.

PJ Fleck and Coyle were doing this by saying that the culture for the football program needed to be changed.

I don't have a big problem with Fleck. I support him. But I can see why Kill, who knows Fleck personally, would take things Fleck says personally, and speak about why he is upset.

I wish both Kill and Fleck the best.

Not Brewster though... He can rot in hell...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I like Kill.
He was a good ball coach, and a little bit old school and kind of country.
He had health set backs that didn't allow him to fulfill his plan. From my point of view, his effort, plan, and staff were sound, but health got in the way.
I am pretty sure he had a pretty good idea (backup plan) of his position within the U when he was thinking about his resignation. But not everybody had the same idea.

If I was in that position, I'd be upset. And I'd probably lash out of somebody spoke ill of the job I did.

PJ Fleck and Coyle were doing this by saying that the culture for the football program needed to be changed.

I don't have a big problem with Fleck. I support him. But I can see why Kill, who knows Fleck personally, would take things Fleck says personally, and speak about why he is upset.

I wish both Kill and Fleck the best.

Not Brewster though... He can rot in hell...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jeez, why the hatred for Brewster?

Jeez, why the hatred for Brewster?

Agree, any hatred at Brewster should be directed at the moron that went on the cheap and hired a coach who was not in any way shape or form ready for the job. We named a building after the guy.

Agree, any hatred at Brewster should be directed at the moron that went on the cheap and hired a coach who was not in any way shape or form ready for the job. We named a building after the guy.

Granted, that building has nothing to do with football, and women's sports at the U excelled during his tenure as AD, and they still do.

Post 79, 82, and even GiI in 84 states that he doesn’t feel what others think was an insult was an insult.

Any of these posts could be examples that imply the idea that PJ hasn’t insulted Kill. FTR, IMO, any number of the statements PJ has said about the culture and talent he inherited could be taken as such. AND, I also think Kill has handled just about everything wrong since he left here.

Massive stretch IMO. There's a middle ground between insults and only being positive. Fleck talked about the lack of depth often. That could reflect negatively on the previous coaching staff but I wouldn't call it an insult either.

I think you're trying too hard to find things that aren't there.

Granted, that building has nothing to do with football, and women's sports at the U excelled during his tenure as AD, and they still do.

True, he was always a great AD for the non-revenue sports and he did some good things during his time here. But for me he will always be linked to what he did to football and the way he set it back years by hiring Brewster to follow Mason.

Another Gopher fan who thinks the Brewster hire was the first time a Gopher AD whiffed on a coaching hire. There was a helluva lot of excitement and support for Brewster's hiring not only among the Gopher fan base as a whole but right here in GopherHole. Maturi made a mistake but that doesn't make him a bad guy. Far too many Gopher fans treat him like he's the Devil himself.

True, he was always a great AD for the non-revenue sports and he did some good things during his time here. But for me he will always be linked to what he did to football and the way he set it back years by hiring Brewster to follow Mason.

I do understand that, and you are not wrong at all.

Maturi didn't set Gopher football back years with the Brewster hire. Brewster took the Gophers to two bowl games in his four years and Kill had a 6-7 record in his second year with the team. That was the same record Mason had in his last year with the Gophers.

He was but he failed at the biggest part of his job. Whether people like it or not, whiffing on the revenue-generating sports is a bigger fail than doing great in the non-revenue sports.

As Cruze has pointed out, he isn't the first AD to whiff on a coach and he won't be the last. I do not demonize Maturi I think he just missed on the biggest part of his job.

Brewster was a risky hire. If he did well, Maturi looks like a genius. Unfortunately that didn't happen. It's easy to criticize the decision now but I think it was worth the shot at the time.

Brewster was a risky hire. If he did well, Maturi looks like a genius. Unfortunately that didn't happen. It's easy to criticize the decision now but I think it was worth the shot at the time.

It was a weird time too. People just started getting really into closely following recruiting and I think some people (Maturi included) got a little drunk off of all of this data that started coming out.

Brewster firmly had an idea about how Minnesota football could win the Big Ten: out-recruit everyone, pulling in kids from Texas, Florida, etc., and let someone else figure out the rest of it.

Sure, it could have worked. 2008 and 2009 were OK, made it to bowl games each year. But it mostly didn't.

Since 2013 he has been doing what he knows and loves to do: be the recruiting coordinator, and the TEs coach. Did that for Jimbo Fisher through last season, and this year went back to his old mentor Mack Brown who returned to coaching at North Carolina (which is where Brown first hired Brewster, before they went to Texas).

Brewster firmly had an idea about how Minnesota football could win the Big Ten: out-recruit everyone, pulling in kids from Texas, Florida, etc., and let someone else figure out the rest of it.

Sure, it could have worked. 2008 and 2009 were OK, made it to bowl games each year. But it mostly didn't.

Since 2013 he has been doing what he knows and loves to do: be the recruiting coordinator, and the TEs coach. Did that for Jimbo Fisher through last season, and this year went back to his old mentor Mack Brown who returned to coaching at North Carolina (which is where Brown first hired Brewster, before they went to Texas).

And I think part of the problem was the coordinators and scheme kept changing. If he had found quality coordinators and staff that stuck around for awhile, things might have been different.

However, I did hear from multiple people on the inside at the time that he was extremely disorganized. Practice was a cluster f*&% many days.

Massive stretch IMO. There's a middle ground between insults and only being positive. Fleck talked about the lack of depth often. That could reflect negatively on the previous coaching staff but I wouldn't call it an insult either.

I think you're trying too hard to find things that aren't there.

OK. Seems straight forward to me, yet open to interpretation.

Another Gopher fan who thinks the Brewster hire was the first time a Gopher AD whiffed on a coaching hire. There was a helluva lot of excitement and support for Brewster's hiring not only among the Gopher fan base as a whole but right here in GopherHole. Maturi made a mistake but that doesn't make him a bad guy. Far too many Gopher fans treat him like he's the Devil himself.

I don't think anybody has ever said Maturi is a "bad guy". Most people agree that Maturi is a decent man who happened to be a poor AD.

Who said Maturi is a “bad guy”.
Coyle on the other hand......

The only true way to show loyalty to Fleck on this board is to hate all that came before him. Get with the program.

Literally the only people who think this way are you and the handful of other posters who constantly try to make every single topic into a pissing match about this staff vs. previous ones because they don't like Fleck.

There is a lot of "gray area" here.

Yes, Fleck said some nice things about Kill when he took over. And then Fleck talked about the program 'starting over' and having to 'change the culture.'

Someone looking from the outside might interpret 'starting over' and 'change the culture' to mean that the previous coaching staff was going something wrong that needed to be fixed. On the other hand, a Fleck supporter would say Fleck meant he wanted to take the program in a different direction - that it was not meant as a slight against Kill.

Maybe Kill is dead wrong, and he misunderstood everything Fleck said. But, I think a reasonable person should be able to understand how Kill might have seen Fleck's comments as dissing the previous staff and their efforts.

If your business changed management, and the new manager said they had to change the culture and start over, would you take that as a ringing endorsement of your efforts under prior management - or would you perceive it as a criticism of your efforts under prior management?

Brewster was correct. Recruiting did need to greatly improve if the program was going to improve.

There is a lot of "gray area" here.

Yes, Fleck said some nice things about Kill when he took over. And then Fleck talked about the program 'starting over' and having to 'change the culture.'

Someone looking from the outside might interpret 'starting over' and 'change the culture' to mean that the previous coaching staff was going something wrong that needed to be fixed. On the other hand, a Fleck supporter would say Fleck meant he wanted to take the program in a different direction - that it was not meant as a slight against Kill.

Maybe Kill is dead wrong, and he misunderstood everything Fleck said. But, I think a reasonable person should be able to understand how Kill might have seen Fleck's comments as dissing the previous staff and their efforts.

If your business changed management, and the new manager said they had to change the culture and start over, would you take that as a ringing endorsement of your efforts under prior management - or would you perceive it as a criticism of your efforts under prior management?

Fair enough but have you ever heard any coach come in and say "the last staff did everything perfect and I don't plan to change a thing."?

Whenever a coach is let go and a new one comes in they say things similar to what Fleck did when he took over. Kill did the exact same thing when he took over for Brewster. They all package it a little different but they all talk about the need for change and bring in their guys. Kill talked about needing 6 years to rebuild the roster which is the same as saying things were totally broken when he took over. Brewster chose not to get all butt hurt about it and go public which is the way most former coaches handle things. Kill chose to get offended and go public with it.

Wacker didn't take personal shots at Mason
Mason didn't take personal shots at Brewster
Brewster didn't take personal shots at Kill

Kill did take personal shots at Fleck

Top Bottom