P.J. Fleck on pulling out close victories: 'We have winners on this football team'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

In the first three games of the season, the Gophers are a perfect 3-0, but have tested their fate all three weeks. They needed a late fumble recovery and touchdown to post a 28-21 victory over South Dakota State in the opener. Two weeks ago, it was a ridiculous 4th down touchdown catch by Chris Autman-Bell and an interception by Antoine Winfield Jr. to defeat Fresno State. Saturday, it was converting a 3rd-and-30 and a big touchdown grab from Tyler Johnson.

Only 13 points have separated the Golden Gophers from their opponents. But wins are wins are wins. And for P.J. Fleck, even though these games haven’t been pretty, finding a way to end the game with more points on the scoreboard is all that matters.

“We have winners on this football team, and they find ways to win,” Fleck said following Minnesota’s 35-32 win over Georgia Southern. “Wasn’t pretty. We’ve got to continue to play better, but there’s something to be said for how we’re winning. There’s gonna be a lot of close games in the B1G, and this team has found a way to win really difficult games and they’ve been tested.”

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...tories-we-have-winners-on-this-football-team/

Go Gophers!!

Was at the game and fans were pissed when got scored on and then backed up w/ 3rd 30 yards to go. For this team to find a way to win that game is beyond what anyone is accustomed to as a Gopher fan. I could throw in 10 but this, but that, but the reality is that this was a crazy, horseshoe up the back-end win for the Gophers and we generally don't see that. Furthermore, the last drive by the Gophers was ridiculous and the refs gave us no help, they clearly should have overturned the in-bounds catch by Johnson at the 35 yard line. Morgan is a freakin awesome Gopher QB, does he make some mistake and not throw the ball away when under pressure, yes, but overall this guy is a winner w/ the type of skills I can't remember the Gophers ever having in a QB. Back to fans being pissed w/ 3rd and long, piss-pore time out calling, retract how bleeping disgusted fans at the point of 3rd and long as we all knew we were about to lose that game - this is a gopher team that makes college football really fun.

I keep saying it but past team would have rolled over in all 3 of those games. There were wins last year I felt that way about too.

This team keeps making plays that turn into Ws.

The fact that the Gophers have won all 3 games after losing a lead is huge. They don't seem to panic when things go awry. Not very pretty but i'll take it. And it could be worse, I almost feel bad for Iowa St..

Was at the game and fans were pissed when got scored on and then backed up w/ 3rd 30 yards to go. For this team to find a way to win that game is beyond what anyone is accustomed to as a Gopher fan. I could throw in 10 but this, but that, but the reality is that this was a crazy, horseshoe up the back-end win for the Gophers and we generally don't see that. Furthermore, the last drive by the Gophers was ridiculous and the refs gave us no help, they clearly should have overturned the in-bounds catch by Johnson at the 35 yard line. Morgan is a freakin awesome Gopher QB, does he make some mistake and not throw the ball away when under pressure, yes, but overall this guy is a winner w/ the type of skills I can't remember the Gophers ever having in a QB. Back to fans being pissed w/ 3rd and long, piss-pore time out calling, retract how bleeping disgusted fans at the point of 3rd and long as we all knew we were about to lose that game - this is a gopher team that makes college football really fun.

Exactly Watertown. Against Fresno and this week, it sure did not seem very likely that the Gophers were going to score to tie it (Fresno) or score to win it vs GSU. Morgan made some costly mistakes in that GSU game, but when the chips are on the line the guy stays cool and makes great plays.

Top Bottom