STrib: Gophers receivers pass around praise for each other

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

As long as he throws it somewhere in their zip code, Morgan said, the receivers will catch it.

“We’re really deep there,” the redshirt sophomore quarterback said. “Just guys that are confident in themselves and that we’re confident in. And it’s a tribute to how hard they work in the offseason. And how hard they push each other. That’s a really close unit. The wide receivers are really close to each other.”

Morgan said that all starts with Johnson as the senior leader. Double-coverage limited his impact in the first two games, but he made Georgia Southern regret giving him one-on-one matchups by going for 140 yards on 10 catches. The Gophers finished with 289 receiving yards against the Eagles, with Johnson, Bateman, Autman-Bell and Douglas each totaling 40 or more receiving yards.

“It means a lot. It says a lot to me, at least,” Johnson said of different receivers stepping up in each game. “We’re going out there every day, finding something to get better at. And over time, we’ve just been finding the small things. And when our number’s called, that’s when we go out there and make plays.”

Against South Dakota State, Bateman led the way with 132 yards on five catches plus his score. He also made seven catches for 105 yards and a touchdown at Fresno State. But seeing a younger player assume the spotlight didn’t bother Johnson.

“I really didn’t care about it at all because I felt like, the [defense] is out there bracketing me, that means somebody else is wide open,” he said. “So we took it as an advantage, really.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-receivers-pass-around-praise-for-each-other/560427112/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom