Well, after 24 hours are we all feeling a little better?

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
3-0 with 2 weeks to get better and get healthy. Remarkable fortitude, toughness, belief and ability to finish all 3 games with a W.

Take this week to enjoy being 3-0, (because it’s a hell of a lot better than any other record at this point) and build your belief back up for phase II of this season, because we sure as hell know the guys wearing the uniforms believe.

Go Gophers! Ski U Mah! and Row the Boat Gopher Nation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cardiologist says that I'm lucky there is a bye week.

Was at the game, and felt very disappointed leaving the stadium. Just watched it on tape and feel some better. Our defense was very good in the second half. Morgan is a gamer. Johnson was stellar.

Take away... Morgan and offense are much better when he is able to get the play and snap the ball in timely fashion. Things generally go poorly asking him to switch up things with 6 seconds on the play clock. He gets very jumpy, and also the defense can tee off and just go. I for the life of me cannot figure out we we just don't call a play and go. Trust your players a little.

The non-conf season is over and now the fun of Big Ten play begins.

It has been disappointing that we have not looked like the team that finished last year on such a high note. The self inflicted wounds are very frustrating and the team needs to figure out how to eliminate them over the next two weeks.

That said, the exciting part is the team is finding a way to win in some really tough situations. They are making the plays they have to in order to get the W and that is awesome to see. Although the preference would always be to have 3 cake walk victories in the non-conf slate, as we head to Big Ten play we are much more tested then most of the other teams in the conference.

The team should have a ton of confidence in their ability to make the big plays when needed. Now just clean up the stupid stuff and we could still be in line for a great season.

I do feel a lot better now than when I left the stadium.

Part of it is realizing that we had two huge flukey plays that GSU scored on that hopefully won't happen again, part of it is that we should get Rodney, Mo and Shannon back who all looked a lot better than Bryce and part of it is Purdue looked absolutely awful against TCU and is dealing with a ton of injuries.

Gophers won and overcame mistkes, they are still learning to be a better team. I like the fight this team has. Honestly only thing I have been down about is offensive line play. At there size I thought they would move better than they do. Not playing with good leverage or moving their feet well right now. Dont seem to be gelling like i thought they would. They have looked a step too slow and lethargic instead of strong and nimblel firing off the ball like I thought. Seem heavy instead of athletic. D tackles not holding up their gaps and playing with proper pad level. DT, and Renner playing too tall off the snap of the ball, legs flat instead of driving forward. Offensive line, time to hit the steam room, and hit it hard and drop a few pounds, the O line looks a bit too heavy and slow right now. Games were tougher than I anticipated, competion was better, Gophers making mistakes, some Ill timed play calls and timeouts. Hopefully they get better as Big 10 games will be tougher. Only Iowa and Wisconsin look a cut above average right now.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fleck is a fraud and his decision to on 4&1 late in the first half was a terrible call

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fleck is a fraud and his decision to on 4&1 late in the first half was a terrible call

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say he was a fraud to go with this decision. He gambled, he lost. Had they made it, people would have been jumping for joy stating thats our coach, the willingness to gamble etc., at times. Perhaps he won't gamble again until the offensive line is better.

I wouldn't say he was a fraud to go with this decision. He gambled, he lost. Had they made it, people would have been jumping for joy stating thats our coach, the willingness to gamble etc., at times. Perhaps he won't gamble again until the offensive line is better.

I think going for it was definitely the right move at the time, I just don't like the play call. Either use Seth Green in the wildcat or do a QB sneak. Not the shotgun handoff to our weakest RB. I think if Mo or Rodney was in that play we get it but Bryce doesn't have very good vision or power. Only really runs straight forward and rarely moves the pile or breaks tackles. But I think it was the right decision, it was 4th and less than a yard. We should be able to get that and typically have under Fleck.

What is the total number of starts of our offensive line (we are really young)
Andries started last year and is a red shirt sophomore ( new position this year)
Faale started half way through the season last year and is a true sophomore
Dunlap is a red shirt freshman With a couple starts last year - (redshirt freshman 4)
Olsen and Schlueter are redshirt juniors - schlueter is in new position this year - {I don’t know how many starts olson’s Had)
Schmidt , the top back up is a redshirt sophomore

Our line does not have a lot of game experience playing with each other, but they should be together for a long time. Next year the line will be two seniors, two juniors and a sophomore with a lot of game experience. Expectations were really high for the o-line that really isn’t mature yet - next year they should represent what an established programs line should look like.

Better record than the Vikings!

Tanner Morgan should teach Kirk Cousins how to finish.

Tanner has 3 fourth quarter comeback wins THIS SEASON!

Cousins has not led a fourth quarter comeback since2017!

I do feel a lot better now than when I left the stadium.

Part of it is realizing that we had two huge flukey plays that GSU scored on that hopefully won't happen again, part of it is that we should get Rodney, Mo and Shannon back who all looked a lot better than Bryce and part of it is Purdue looked absolutely awful against TCU and is dealing with a ton of injuries.
I'd say three flukes plays went against the Gophers. Strip sack TD, Blocked field goal TD, and fumble into the endzone TD that should have been called a touchback...

The way the defense clamped down on the GS Eaglets is very encouraging and the flukey plays will someday start going he Gophers way!

Go Gophers!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'd say three flukes plays went against the Gophers. Strip sack TD, Blocked field goal TD, and fumble into the endzone TD that should have been called a touchback...

The way the defense clamped down on the GS Eaglets is very encouraging and the flukey plays will someday start going he Gophers way!

Go Gophers!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We were unfortunate with the fumble in the endzone, but the blocked punt was not flukey to me. I think it's insane to call the strip sack TD flukey and I know we wouldn't consider it a fluke if that was a play made by Coughlin.

I like winning, even with fluke turnovers and scores against them, Gophers won. Gotta get a lot better for Big 10 season, there will be no easy wins. Gophers need not apologize for winning, I still like the way this team refuses to give up.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

We were unfortunate with the fumble in the endzone, but the blocked punt was not flukey to me. I think it's insane to call the strip sack TD flukey and I know we wouldn't consider it a fluke if that was a play made by Coughlin.

Okay. Understood.

But if a strip sack (returned for a TD!) and a blocked FG (also returned for a TD!) — in the same game, mind you! — are not flukey or lucky, then a long drive at the end (with no time outs) to win the game, complete with an eventual conversion of a 3rd and 30, shouldn't be considered lucky either.

As ol' Dan Barreiro says, "You can't have it both ways!"

True. Those plays matter, but in terms of offensive and defensive efficiency, we nearly doubled up on them.

Total yards: 382 to 198. We held them to 8 yards of offense in the 2nd half.
Time of possession: 37:56 to 22:05
First downs: 22 to 12
Penalties: We had 4, GSU had 10
Turnovers: 2 each

GSU had no business being in that game, so you could say they got a few breaks. Kicks get blocked occasionally. How about someone step up and make a tackle, rather than let him run it in? Things definitely bounced their way. That’s how upsets usually happen.

Tanner Morgan should teach Kirk Cousins how to finish.

Tanner has 3 fourth quarter comeback wins THIS SEASON!

Cousins has not led a fourth quarter comeback since2017!

I heard there were Vikings scouts in the stands, an anonymous GM told ESPN that they're done with Kirk and thinking of moving on with Tanner.

The non-conf season is over and now the fun of Big Ten play begins.

It has been disappointing that we have not looked like the team that finished last year on such a high note. The self inflicted wounds are very frustrating and the team needs to figure out how to eliminate them over the next two weeks.

That said, the exciting part is the team is finding a way to win in some really tough situations. They are making the plays they have to in order to get the W and that is awesome to see. Although the preference would always be to have 3 cake walk victories in the non-conf slate, as we head to Big Ten play we are much more tested then most of the other teams in the conference.

The team should have a ton of confidence in their ability to make the big plays when needed. Now just clean up the stupid stuff and we could still be in line for a great season.

Well said. My thoughts exactly.

What is the total number of starts of our offensive line (we are really young)
Andries started last year and is a red shirt sophomore ( new position this year)
Faale started half way through the season last year and is a true sophomore
Dunlap is a red shirt freshman With a couple starts last year - (redshirt freshman 4)
Olsen and Schlueter are redshirt juniors - schlueter is in new position this year - {I don’t know how many starts olson’s Had)
Schmidt , the top back up is a redshirt sophomore

Our line does not have a lot of game experience playing with each other, but they should be together for a long time. Next year the line will be two seniors, two juniors and a sophomore with a lot of game experience. Expectations were really high for the o-line that really isn’t mature yet - next year they should represent what an established programs line should look like.

Great point. BUT ... I don't think the OL is close to playing up to even its raw potential right now. They're capable of better, even if they're young.

JTG

Watched the DVR version and yes, feel a little better.

Glad for the bye and we need both Mo and RS to be ready for the Boilers.

Probably need to be working back-up QB big time. Even with Seth available, felt pretty vulnerable when Tanner was out for the one play.

I feel good because we're 3-0. Re thinking the game (s) with any losses would be unbearable. I'm getting fed up with Fleck's timeout decisions more than play calls, 4th down decisions, etc. A timeout on a 2 point conversion that doesn't matter and another with like 15 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. I just don't understand it.

Missed blocks that result in fumbles and blocked FGs are not flukey. Not sure how one can view them that way?

Missed blocks that result in fumbles and blocked FGs are not flukey. Not sure how one can view them that way?

They're not, they're poor execution by gophers

I would like to see every member of the O-line drop about 10 lbs (or more in the case of Faalele).

Second-guessing here, but I think the coaches were so concerned about having a "big" line that they have lost some quickness and lateral movement. Maybe this can be corrected with technique.

I compare it to Barber. he made a point in the off-season of dropping some weight because he wanted to be quicker and more mobile.

Fleck has talked about O-Linemen not getting out and making secondary blocks, sealing off LB's and so forth.

I know Mase has said he thinks the Gophers have sacrificed some mobility in going to the bigger line.

I expected more this season coming off the great finish to last season. However, the amount of criticism this team and coaching staff is taking for being 3-0 and showing grit and heart is absurd. The OL needs to improve. Time Out management/usage needs to improve. Play calling needs to improve. Our RB depth is impressive and our current core of WR talent is the best we've ever had as long as I've been a fan. We lost our starting QB before the season but Morgan has shown the ability to buckle down and deliver when the team needs him most.

This program is definitely moving in the right direction and I'm proud of the culture being established by Coach Fleck and his staff. With all that said, if we run another Wildcat formation with intent to run up the middle when the other team has nine (9) guys in the box with TJ and Bateman in single coverage, I'll personally demand for the removal of our OC.

True. Those plays matter, but in terms of offensive and defensive efficiency, we nearly doubled up on them.

Total yards: 382 to 198. We held them to 8 yards of offense in the 2nd half.
Time of possession: 37:56 to 22:05
First downs: 22 to 12
Penalties: We had 4, GSU had 10
Turnovers: 2 each

GSU had no business being in that game, so you could say they got a few breaks. Kicks get blocked occasionally. How about someone step up and make a tackle, rather than let him run it in? Things definitely bounced their way. That’s how upsets usually happen.

You realize that when the other team is scoring with their defense and special teams then their offense will not have the ball nearly as much. That being said, our defense played very well for the short time they were on the field in the second half, partially due to an inept GSU offense.

Top Bottom