Big Ten rushing stats

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Gophers: season - 142 attempts, 2.6 yds carry. Ga Southern game - 48 attempts, 1.9 yds carry. Ain't working...

Gophers: season - 142 attempts, 2.6 yds carry. Ga Southern game - 48 attempts, 1.9 yds carry. Ain't working...

Well, we are 3-0, so there's that.

My question is: WHY is it not working, all of a sudden? What happened to our o-line over the offseason?

My question is: WHY is it not working, all of a sudden? What happened to our o-line over the offseason?

Great Question......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that the team is 3-0, but the rushing game is easily the most concerning issue from my viewpoint. Guess I got spoiled by the success of the O-line in the last few games of the previous season. Had this vision of the team imposing their will and breaking teams as the game wore on, all with a strong, relentless running game. Still have hope they’ll rediscover what they had going.

Love that the team is 3-0, but the rushing game is easily the most concerning issue from my viewpoint. Guess I got spoiled by the success of the O-line in the last few games of the previous season. Had this vision of the team imposing their will and breaking teams as the game wore on, all with a strong, relentless running game. Still have hope they’ll rediscover what they had going.

I saw the same things, and agree 100%. I'm really puzzled by our struggles.

I wonder if they’re going to switch some people around on the line for the Purdue game. Fleck mentioned something about that in his press conference, but I don’t recall the exact quote.

Part of it is Rodney still doesn’t look like RS. Anyone know what happened to Ibrahim this week? Hurt? In doghouse?

That's crazy. Never would have expected that.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Part of it is Rodney still doesn’t look like RS. Anyone know what happened to Ibrahim this week? Hurt? In doghouse?

I think the reason he doesn't look himself is that there's scant space to run in. Saquon Barkley would have struggled to make anything of the opportunities our backs have seen during the first 3 games.

I think the reason he doesn't look himself is that there's scant space to run in. Saquon Barkley would have struggled to make anything of the opportunities our backs have seen during the first 3 games.

Exactly. The problem is clearly in the o-line. The coaches need to figure it out and fix it.

I agree that RS does not seem like the RS of old. And I don’t believe it’s just because of the OL play. It could be that he’s still working off the rust from his injury. But the RS of old had a smooth running style. He flowed to the point of attack and then was able to quickly accelerate through a cut in a way that seemed effortless. He also seemed to be able to bounce easier out of tackles and gain extra yardage. Remember his highlight spin move plays? To me, he seems more mechanical with less swagger moving East/West.

RS was averaging 5.2 ypc before he got injured. I thought he was running much harder yesterday than he did the first 2 games. I would like to see the running backs more involved in the passing game, but I think the O-line is doing such a poor job blocking they need to keep the backs back to help protect the QB.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Ibrahim was injured. Fleck said he probably could have played, but they held him out.

Exactly. The problem is clearly in the o-line. The coaches need to figure it out and fix it.

The lost of Jared Weyler and Donnell Greene must have hurt team chemistry somehow. Jared was the experienced Offensive Line signal caller. They seem to be out of sync many times. They need time to gel together hopefully sooner than later.

Dont let the big ten posters put you down. You played 3 very good OOC opponents. You only had a week to prepare fore the GSU Shotgun Option offense. GSUs defense was better than the first 2 games. Still you controlled the 2nd half.

We had a lot of plays last year where our RB would turn the corner and make a guy miss, run him over, or he would wiff on his own.

I wondered if we could keep that up... apparently not.

The other teams pay their coaches too. My guess is there was enough film, and enough time to study it, to find weaknesses that might not have been apparent last year. It's time for the Minnesota coaches to self-study and fix those issues.

This offensive line was built/recruited to be big, strong road graders/run blockers for our outstanding stable of running backs. That is their game, their bread and butter, and it should be their strength.

But if this offense is forced into obvious passing situations because they can't run the ball effectively, and can't use play action because they're not running effectively, well, then the smaller, quicker speed rushers can take advantage of them to some extent. Our guys are big and strong, but they're not all that quick and nimble.

Tanner Morgan's moxie and mobility and smarts have bailed us out so far, almost miraculously. However, I don't think Fleck wants this team to try to make it's living that way all season long. We have to get the run game going. It's crucial.

RS was averaging 5.2 ypc before he got injured.

Are you talking about before the injury last year? Big deal, almost all of that was against New Mexico State. Mo averaged something like 11.2 per carry against New Mexico State. He wasn't averaging anything close to 5.2 this season. The highest average of Rodney's career was 4.8 during his redshirt soph campaign.

The other teams pay their coaches too. My guess is there was enough film, and enough time to study it, to find weaknesses that might not have been apparent last year. It's time for the Minnesota coaches to self-study and fix those issues.

It feels like basically they just commit everything to their first look and out muscle the OL....and it often works vs the run.

Tanner Morgan's moxie and mobility and smarts have bailed us out so far, almost miraculously. However, I don't think Fleck wants this team to try to make it's living that way all season long. We have to get the run game going. It's crucial.[/QUOT

Yes, we need a better running game than we have had this season, but, in my opinion, we could pass more often than we do now and still be successful, perhaps more successful. We have a receiving corps that is as good or better than any team's receivers we are likely to play this year and a quarterback who is quite capable and improving. I don't see what's wrong with featuring your strong suit instead of featuring something that doesn't measure up as well against our peers.

Are you talking about before the injury last year? Big deal, almost all of that was against New Mexico State. Mo averaged something like 11.2 per carry against New Mexico State. He wasn't averaging anything close to 5.2 this season. The highest average of Rodney's career was 4.8 during his redshirt soph campaign.
Just in the game vs GSU. He had 11 vaaries for 57 yards. RS I think would have had 150+ yd game if didn't get injured. He was very close to breaking a few runs.

Just in the game vs GSU. He had 11 vaaries for 57 yards. RS I think would have had 150+ yd game if didn't get injured. He was very close to breaking a few runs.

Well, you don't know. They clamped down on our runners and that might have stifled him as well.

Top Bottom