On EVERY PLAY?!

Yah-E

Bulieve
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me WHY on EVERY play in Fleck era once our team got set at the line of scrimmage about to hike the ball, all the skills position players all of the sudden looks at the sideline because further instructions were given by someone. They all turn around to the sideline...y’all know what I’m referring to?

They all do this on EVERY single F-ing play?

I don’t ever notice that during Kill era, Brewster era, and Mason era, or at least not on EVERY single play?!

It’s irritating the **** out of me!

On every play, they go up the line, gets set, Tanner starts his cadence then they all start to turn their heads...sometimes even 2-3 times?!? It’s even more comical when they had to turn their entire body 180 at times!

Yeah needs to stop they barley snap the ball in time. I'm suprised we dont have more delay of game penalties

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Can someone please explain to me WHY on EVERY play in Fleck era once our team got set at the line of scrimmage about to hike the ball, all the skills position players all of the sudden looks at the sideline because further instructions were given by someone. They all turn around to the sideline...y’all know what I’m referring to?

I don’t ever notice that during Kill era, Brewster era, and Mason era, or at least not on EVERY single play?!

On every play, they go up the line, gets set, Tanner starts his cadence then they all start to turn their heads...sometimes even 2-3 times?!? It’s even more comical when they had to turn their entire body 180 at times!

its the offensive system we run. We're not the only school doing it. I don't think it hurts us that much at this point.

Not anything new. I don’t want to rip on people but you must have been under a rock for the last decade of college football. Tons and tons of teams do this including Oklahoma, Clemson, etc. was started by Chip Kelly I think...but perhaps he’s only the one that made it famous. Look at all those crazy signs the offense holds up. Plus the QBs that are backups are doing hand signals as well. They get in formation and then they send in signals and hold up crazy pictures that means stuff for the players. They then stay in the same play or change the play. Hence Tanner running up and changing blocking assignments to the Oline.

Not anything new. I don’t want to rip on people but you must have been under a rock for the last decade of college football. Tons and tons of teams do this including Oklahoma, Clemson, etc. was started by Chip Kelly I think...but perhaps he’s only the one that made it famous. Look at all those crazy signs the offense holds up. Plus the QBs that are backups are doing hand signals as well. They get in formation and then they send in signals and hold up crazy pictures that means stuff for the players. They then stay in the same play or change the play. Hence Tanner running up and changing blocking assignments to the Oline.

I certainly agree. And when Morgan supposedly changes the play, it’s always run the ball left. Why??

Thank you. Again, people think we’re the only team doing this. That itself is more annoying than the actual process being described/botched about.

Why don’t we just huddle up and run the Single Wing and avoid all that gol darn sideline looking?

I can't stand the jumping around crap by TM at the 7 second mark (or so).

Is this your first year watching the gophers? Or even your first year watchign college football? It's the system they run and it's a fairly popular system...

Its the latest trend in the game today. Its called overcoaching

The biggest issue is that the clock is often less than three seconds and often at one second when the ball is snapped. IMO this gives any and every defense they play an advantage of knowing when the ball is going to be snapped. There is no chance of a hard count and drawing a team off sides. Execution wins football games, so lets get the process started sooner. Give the offensive players a full couple of seconds to digest their assignment on each play rather than changing (or appearing to change) at the last tics of every play clock.

It makes me wonder if it results in too much pre-snap thinking for an inexperienced O-line. Especially since they often check into a run play that gets stuffed at the line of scrimmage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes me wonder if it results in too much pre-snap thinking for an inexperienced O-line. Especially since they often check into a run play that gets stuffed at the line of scrimmage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's literally just a new version of a huddle.

We send out the personnel we want to use and then the play actually gets called when they are looking into the sidelines. They want to wait to call the play until they see the defense's personnel.

When Tanner checks down, it's usually based on some presnap mismatch. He is probably given carte blanche to check down to the inside zone whenever he believes the numbers are on our side.

I don't really see Morgan doing a lot of presnap thinking, I think we are just antsy, myself included because they are standing at the line and I'm anxious to see the play.

When they are looking in, it's essentially just huddle.

Exactly right. Running play clock down to zero (because of coaching indecision) on virtually EVERY play eventually gives a canny defense an undeserved advantage as to when ball will be snapped. That might be one reason why smaller defensive linemen are living in our backfield--they could be getting an unfair jump. For a young offensive line, one not in great communication yet, all the re-jiggering and hopping around on every play has got to be confusing for the OL as to their assignments. Very little time left to process. Just as our defense needed to be simplified to improve last year, I feel that our offensive pre-snap process needs to be simplified to improve this year. Instead of always running "what the defense gives us" (which is often a disguise and NOT what the defense is giving you), try running what we want on an early snap count. Don't let defense get set and rested.

Last edited:

I watched this and the Fresno game on TV. No replay ability, so my impression might be off. But, while Fleck has said we want to "use the whole field," our running attack seems predictably to be restricted to inside the tackles/ends. We fail a lot running inside the tackles. Why not fail some of the time by running wide? At least we wouldn't be so predictable.

It's literally just a new version of a huddle.

We send out the personnel we want to use and then the play actually gets called when they are looking into the sidelines. They want to wait to call the play until they see the defense's personnel.

When Tanner checks down, it's usually based on some presnap mismatch. He is probably given carte blanche to check down to the inside zone whenever he believes the numbers are on our side.

I don't really see Morgan doing a lot of presnap thinking, I think we are just antsy, myself included because they are standing at the line and I'm anxious to see the play.

When they are looking in, it's essentially just huddle.

It is the modern version of the huddle, but I don't believe that Tanner is doing any reading of the defense and changing things up. I believe it is all coming from the sideline, he's just relaying the information to the rest of the offense.

I agree with metrolax, it's overcoaching.

Defenses are catching up with that and don't "show" their defense until until right at the end as well. They wait until the play clock is under 10 then will move into their set and call, giving the OL little time to get comfortable with their blocking assignments. I don't mind having it happen once in awhile to get to under 5 sec. on play call before snapping it, but it happens way to often that we are snapping it at at the last second and often we have to burn a TO so that we don't get a delay penalty. Snap it early and catch the defense being misaligned. Call a play and trust that your guys can execute and make it successful regardless of what the D is showing you.

It is the modern version of the huddle, but I don't believe that Tanner is doing any reading of the defense and changing things up. I believe it is all coming from the sideline, he's just relaying the information to the rest of the offense.

I agree with metrolax, it's overcoaching.

Defenses are catching up with that and don't "show" their defense until until right at the end as well. They wait until the play clock is under 10 then will move into their set and call, giving the OL little time to get comfortable with their blocking assignments. I don't mind having it happen once in awhile to get to under 5 sec. on play call before snapping it, but it happens way to often that we are snapping it at at the last second and often we have to burn a TO so that we don't get a delay penalty. Snap it early and catch the defense being misaligned. Call a play and trust that your guys can execute and make it successful regardless of what the D is showing you.

The only reading that I believe Tanner is doing is having the option to audible to the run, from my recollection, that is not happening until after them looking into the sidelines.

As far as catching up to it, there is nothing to catch up to. The defense cannot make additional personnel changes after they've lined up. I don't think they are calling a play based on how the defense is lining up, they are calling plays based on their personnel, which is set. I agree with your last sentence and I believe that is what they're doing 99% of the time. They are only waiting to call that play once they know the defense's personnel.

Most teams are going to be snapping the ball with under 5 seconds left on the play clock unless they have a truly dynamic offense.

There's a lot of things to be upset about with this coaching, but this isn't one of them.

I know that Leidner was checking with the sideline fairly regularly during his stint at QB. Could be a lot of reasons for it. I blame Peyton Manning.

The only reading that I believe Tanner is doing is having the option to audible to the run, from my recollection, that is not happening until after them looking into the sidelines.

As far as catching up to it, there is nothing to catch up to. The defense cannot make additional personnel changes after they've lined up. I don't think they are calling a play based on how the defense is lining up, they are calling plays based on their personnel, which is set. I agree with your last sentence and I believe that is what they're doing 99% of the time. They are only waiting to call that play once they know the defense's personnel.

Most teams are going to be snapping the ball with under 5 seconds left on the play clock unless they have a truly dynamic offense.

If they're calling plays based solely on defensive personnel, by the end of the first quarter they shouldn't have to take as long because they would know what the defense will send out based on what we send out.
They are most definitely looking at defensive alignment and coverages then are trying to signal a play in based off what they see from up above. Sometimes the initial play they signal in they feel will work against what they see, but they still look over and then snap the ball. Other times they don't like the look of the defense so when they all look over they get a different play than what was originally sent in. Defenses are now waiting to show their true alignment and coverage for as long as possible to give the offensive coaches less time to make a call. They are also changing their defensive calls sometimes as well
I was at a DIii game Saturday where both teams ran no huddle offenses looking to the sidelines then snapping the ball or looking a second time as well. Not once did either team have to use a TO because the play clock was going to run out. There were also times wher they would snap it well before 10 seconds left on the play clock Along with that, one defense would change their defensive call after the offense would turn to the sidelin as defenders would move to different alignments prior to the snap.

I dont mind that being the way we generally call plays. There are two caveats to this though. First, it's a problem if you take a delay of game penalty, which we have. Second, you need to have a mechanism to get calls in quickly when in a hurry up situation, and it seems like at times we are burning a lot of valuable time by being to slow to communicate. Hasn't hurt us so far, but could in the future.

Non-issue. Many teams run the exact post-huddle routine. After three years you’d think...oh, never mind...

I dont mind looking once or twice but sometimes they look 3-5 times.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On the game winning drive they were able to get a few plays off with about 10-15 seconds on the play clock including the game winning TD. So they are capable of up(per) tempo at times when the game is on the line. At other times of the game have to think running the clock down is a ball control method, run the clock to maximum possible. As far as I can recall there isn’t much shifts or motions going on at this point of the season so the downside is the defense probably has more time to process what they are doing mentally, etc.

This thread is a perfect example of what happens with fan opinions in a town ruled by the Vikings.

Yes, this offensive system, and players checking the boards on the sidelines for the play call at the last minute has been around for a while now and is quite common in college football. You see the same player positions doing the same thing at the same time all over college football. It is simply the system run by the Gophers.

I get asked about the same thing when I watch Gopher games with any of my Viking-loving friends. I also get comments like "Hey, he only got one foot in bounds, that should be incomplete!" or "Geez, I have to hit the bathroom but I'll wait for the two minute warning."

This thread is a perfect example of what happens with fan opinions in a town ruled by the Vikings.

Yes, this offensive system, and players checking the boards on the sidelines for the play call at the last minute has been around for a while now and is quite common in college football. You see the same player positions doing the same thing at the same time all over college football. It is simply the system run by the Gophers.

I get asked about the same thing when I watch Gopher games with any of my Viking-loving friends. I also get comments like "Hey, he only got one foot in bounds, that should be incomplete!" or "Geez, I have to hit the bathroom but I'll wait for the two minute warning."

Also the folks who boo kickoff fair catches.

Non-issue. Many teams run the exact post-huddle routine. After three years you’d think...oh, never mind...

It's an issue when they have to use a TO way too early in the game or half, which has happened multiple times each year.

It's an issue when they have to use a TO way too early in the game or half, which has happened multiple times each year.

Is the method of changing the play the problem or just getting setup to do it with time left / awareness that it's time to hike the ball?

Like if I have a meeting that goes long, is it the last thing we discussed that is the problem that went over the line? Or the first thing that didn't?

Yep, like others though the one thing I would like to see is them getting the plays in faster so that we are not snapping the ball in the last few seconds of the play clock. The sideline check system has been around for a while but I don't recall us waiting so deep into the play clock in previous seasons or looking like we were rushing to get the snap off in time as much, the way we have been through 3 games this year. Could just be perception but things feel more rushed this year.

Exactly right. Running play clock down to zero (because of coaching indecision) on virtually EVERY play eventually gives a canny defense an undeserved advantage as to when ball will be snapped. That might be one reason why smaller defensive linemen are living in our backfield--they could be getting an unfair jump. For a young offensive line, one not in great communication yet, all the re-jiggering and hopping around on every play has got to be confusing for the OL as to their assignments. Very little time left to process. Just as our defense needed to be simplified to improve last year, I feel that our offensive pre-snap process needs to be simplified to improve this year. Instead of always running "what the defense gives us" (which is often a disguise and NOT what the defense is giving you), try running what we want on an early snap count. Don't let defense get set and rested.

I don't think this really happens. What d-lineman is looking at the playclock? They're looking at their assignments and the formation.

Top Bottom