2 Questions for Those Watching on TV

bleedsmaroonandgold

Reaction score
What did TJ and Rodney do on the TD to get unsportsmanlike like conduct penalties?

On the last drive, there was a no catch call on the sideline (I think it was CAB, but could be wrong). They reviewed, and the clip they showed at the stadium made it look like our receiver clearly had secured the ball with one foot in as he dove out of bounds, so I (and it sounded like the rest of the stadium) was shocked when they confirmed the incompletion call. Was there something shown on TV that we didnt see? Only thing I can think of is a bobble on his way down or something like that. The replay I saw ended before he went all the way to the ground.

On the CAB play, it looked like he secured the ball against his helmet inbounds, but I couldn't tell if it was conclusive.

It was Douglass, and it certainly looked like a catch from every angle they showed. The call on the field was incomplete, there was a split second as they were falling out of bounds where the ball wasn't visible. I guess they couldn't find conclusive evidence that the ball didn't move, even though it appeared like a rock solid catch.

It truly was an amazing catch. Ball went right through the hands of the diving defender 2 feet before it hit his hands. Not sure how much of the ball he even saw the moment before it hit his hands.

It was Douglass, and it certainly looked like a catch from every angle they showed. The call on the field was incomplete, there was a split second as they were falling out of bounds where the ball wasn't visible. I guess they couldn't find conclusive evidence that the ball didn't move, even though it appeared like a rock solid catch.

It truly was an amazing catch. Ball went right through the hands of the diving defender 2 feet before it hit his hands. Not sure how much of the ball he even saw the moment before it hit his hands.

Other way around I believe. They confirmed the call, meaning they saw conclusive evidence that it wasn’t a catch. For a second or two you could see PJ demanding an explanation and the ref made a gesture like “he didn’t have control with his hands.”

All that said it was a garbage call. The ball never moved and it was really smart of DD82 to keep it pinned to his facemask for so long to show that the ball didn’t move. The replay official had an absolutely brutal day between that call and the failure to even look at the fumble at the goal line before half. When a guy has literally one job and he blows it that badly, he shouldn’t have that one job anymore

Other way around I believe. They confirmed the call, meaning they saw conclusive evidence that it wasn’t a catch. For a second or two you could see PJ demanding an explanation and the ref made a gesture like “he didn’t have control with his hands.”

All that said it was a garbage call. The ball never moved and it was really smart of DD82 to keep it pinned to his facemask for so long to show that the ball didn’t move. The replay official had an absolutely brutal day between that call and the failure to even look at the fumble at the goal line before half. When a guy has literally one job and he blows it that badly, he shouldn’t have that one job anymore

All of the officials had a pretty rough day at the yard (ineligible man down field that they had to later pick up comes to mind as well, CC45 getting tackled on second to last play, Bateman clearly getting held on the bomb from Morgan that would’ve been 6, there was one in our secondary someone got away with too).

On TV, the color guy and rules analyst both agreed that Douglas caught the ball though the rules analyst cautioned that there might not be an angle that showed Douglas controlled the ball all the way to the ground. Personally, I thought the bigger question was whether or not Douglas had control of the ball when his foot was down in bounds or if it came after that point. I was surprised the ref came back with "confirmed" and not "stands" in regards to that call.

Also both the color guy and rules analyst agree that Georgia Southern's touchdown at the end of the first half should have been a touch back.

That catch was amazing, but I don't think he had full possession of it until his knee was touching the sideline. Neither angle that was shown gives a definitive view of when the ball is secure. Had they called it a catch, maybe we score too early and GSU is able to kick a game tying FG

I rewatched some of it since I recorded it.

1. They did a dance which is against the rules in college
2. The announcers seemed to think it was a catch. I personally believe it was inconclusive with video evidence. Could have gone either way.

No, balds is correct. They couldn't find conclusive evidence to overturn it, therefore it defaults to the call on the field. That doesn't mean there was conclusive evidence to rule it a non-catch.

I haven't watched it on TV yet, but live at the game, it looked to me like his knee hit the ground before he had control. He had at least one foot down in bounds, if not both, but it appeared that his knee hit before he completed the catch. I could be wrong on that.

On TV, the color guy and rules analyst both agreed that Douglas caught the ball though the rules analyst cautioned that there might not be an angle that showed Douglas controlled the ball all the way to the ground. Personally, I thought the bigger question was whether or not Douglas had control of the ball when his foot was down in bounds or if it came after that point. I was surprised the ref came back with "confirmed" and not "stands" in regards to that call.

Also both the color guy and rules analyst agree that Georgia Southern's touchdown at the end of the first half should have been a touch back.

How the F don't they review that one but they review TJ's catch that wasn't even close?

No, balds is correct. They couldn't find conclusive evidence to overturn it, therefore it defaults to the call on the field. That doesn't mean there was conclusive evidence to rule it a non-catch.

I haven't watched it on TV yet, but live at the game, it looked to me like his knee hit the ground before he had control. He had at least one foot down in bounds, if not both, but it appeared that his knee hit before he completed the catch. I could be wrong on that.

If that was the case, then it should have been call stands. Unless that’s only the NFL that makes that distinction.

Watched the replay. Looks like the late 1st half TD by GSU should have been a touchback and Gopher football. That's a huge miss by replay booth.

The referee stating that the call was "confirmed" was ridiculous, because the replays had all the appearances of being a catch. Now, if they wanna say, "Insufficient evidence to overturn the call," I could live with that. But "confirmed?" Puh-leaze.

JTG

Yeah, missed call there. Douglass also had two clutch catches in the game winning drive.

Yeah, given it was called incomplete I expected it to be "stands as called". While it certainly looked like a catch, the video shown on TV did not definitively show it was. The "confirmed" was shocking.

How the F don't they review that one but they review TJ's catch that wasn't even close?

Replay dude was in line to get another beer. He figured a quick beer run would be fine since who would be dumb enough to run a horse!t play on 4th and 1 and create that situation.

We have seen this officiating crew twice already this season. Can our coaches or AD request to the Big 10 office we not get this crew again? To many missed and questionable calls against Gophers, touchbaxk miss, and missed Bateman call could have changed outcome of game.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

We have seen this officiating crew twice already this season. Can our coaches or AD request to the Big 10 office we not get this crew again? To many missed and questionable calls against Gophers, touchbaxk miss, and missed Bateman call could have changed outcome of game.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I know the university can submit certain plays to the NCAA to be re-reviewed if they think the refs did really badly. I remember a play from either the first or the second game that I thought should be submitted but don't remember what happened. Definitely should send at least one play from this game.

Top Bottom