Where the coaches could have coached better today.

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score

Not on the film was the 4th down call towards the end of the first half.

2:40 we needed to coach better. I'm not a coaching expert, but the part where the guy comes through needs to be coached better.

Also:

3:22 - That was bad coaching right there. Whatever they told the O-line about the defender was wrong.

These last two plays were worth 12 points and were all of GSU's 2nd half points.
There other "halftime adjustments" were awesome to hold GSU to 8 yards, but this coaching of those two plays in particular is bad.

Off the top of my head:

- Timeout usage in second half was abysmal
- Deciding to run on first and goal at the end of the game
- Slow to adjust when facing GSU blitzes on virtually every play in 4th quarter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not positive (been a long day) but I believe one or two of the wasted timeouts was to prevent being called for having 12 men on the field. Also errors, not necessarily on Fleck though.

Special teams was a mess today.

I’m not positive (been a long day) but I believe one or two of the wasted timeouts was to prevent being called for having 12 men on the field. Also errors, not necessarily on Fleck though.

Special teams was a mess today.

Yes that was our last timeout

- Deciding to run on first and goal at the end of the game
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had no problem running on 1st Down, if they had a 2nd play, a pass play, called right away, which they did.

They were going to be able to run 4 plays there on 1st & Goal if they needed to.

There were essentially two of the 4 downs where they could run it; 4th Down...or 1st, as long as they had a 2nd play called right away.

Probably can argue if running was a good choice due to 2nd half execution of the run game....but game management wise, I had no problem with how they handled it.

Last edited:

The end of the game was not one of Fleck's problems.
Comparing that to Limegrover v. Michigan was night-and-day.

I had a problem with the timeout usage earlier in the game.

Others likely had a big issue with the 4th and 1 play which I'm sure is why he came out and said, "I need to coach better."

I don't completely disagree with the 4th & 1, but why has the wildcat been used so sparingly? That would've been the perfect time of a Seth Green run.

I don't completely disagree with the 4th & 1, but why has the wildcat been used so sparingly? That would've been the perfect time of a Seth Green run.

3rd & 1 play before the blocked FG attempt. Thought I would see Green on that play.

Green ran it 4 times for -2 yards yesterday. It wasn't exactly effective.

The biggest thing I saw was the reliance on running and on option plays. Given what their offense does, I would guess GSU's defense gets more practice against run plays and options than just about anyone else in the country. I can see trying it but when you've tried it for a while and are averaging a couple yards per carry, it's time to change something. The Gophers took way too long to adjust.

Slow play at the end of the game was also concerning. They looked like they needed to get out of bounds on every single play when they still had a minute left. Other than before the last TD I can't remember them ever having snapped the ball with more than 15 seconds left on the play clock. For a team that doesn't really huddle, are they really unable to get a play off in shorter than 25 seconds unless it is called before the play clock starts? Seems like the combination of that and early time out usage will make it very hard to come back late.

Given the size and theoretical talent advantage on the offensive line, I am shocked we never tried any power runs against their defense once they had solved the read-option. We should be able to overpower a front seven like Georgia Southern.

The biggest thing I saw was the reliance on running and on option plays. Given what their offense does, I would guess GSU's defense gets more practice against run plays and options than just about anyone else in the country. I can see trying it but when you've tried it for a while and are averaging a couple yards per carry, it's time to change something. The Gophers took way too long to adjust.

Slow play at the end of the game was also concerning. They looked like they needed to get out of bounds on every single play when they still had a minute left. Other than before the last TD I can't remember them ever having snapped the ball with more than 15 seconds left on the play clock. For a team that doesn't really huddle, are they really unable to get a play off in shorter than 25 seconds unless it is called before the play clock starts? Seems like the combination of that and early time out usage will make it very hard to come back late.

And yet somehow, we have done just that in all 3 games.

I agree though that they need to figure out a way to get the play in quicker. If for no other reason then it makes it tougher on the other teams defensive line. If you are getting down into the last few seconds of the play clock those guys can much easier time their jump at the snap because they know when it has to be coming.

Top Bottom