Sid: I’ve never seen a win like the Gophers had on Saturday

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

One of a kind Gophers win

I’ve never seen a win like the Gophers had on Saturday over Georgia Southern to finish their wild nonconference schedule 3-0.

Late in the fourth quarter the Maroon and Gold gave up a blocked field goal for a touchdown and then watched as Tanner Morgan was sacked, fumbled and had that returned for a touchdown — all of which happened in a span of 3 minutes, 18 seconds, but they still found some way to win this game.

P.J. Fleck’s squad tried to beat themselves in this contest as that shocking turn of events turned a 28-20 Gophers lead to a 32-28 deficit with 3:47 left and no timeouts remaining.

But like their close wins over South Dakota State and Fresno State, you can credit the Gophers receivers for saving another win.

Rashod Bateman had the biggest play of the game in their opening win against SDSU, a 42-yard fingertip touchdown catch down the sideline.

In their win at Fresno State it was Chris Autman-Bell catching a 20-yard pass on fourth down with 46 seconds left to force overtime.

On Saturday it was Tyler Johnson, who finished with 10 receptions for 140 yards and three scores and capped off his day with the game-winning touchdown catch with 13 seconds left.

There’s no doubt that none of these nonconference games were dominant or pretty, but 3-0 is 3-0 and that’s all anyone will remember.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...-barr-everson-griffen-still-around/560362282/

Go Gophers!!

People aren't talking enough about how it was 3rd and 30(!!!) inside the 5 and the Gophers won.

People aren't talking enough about how it was 3rd and 30(!!!) inside the 5 and the Gophers won.

And with no timeouts.

They aren’t taking about it, but they’re probably thinking about it. There’s too much low hanging fruit...makes it harder to point out positive stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And with no timeouts.

They aren’t taking about it, but they’re probably thinking about it. There’s too much low hanging fruit...makes it harder to point out positive stuff.

Gag. The final drive was great. That doesn’t erase the 58 minutes of crap that preceded it.

Gag. The final drive was great. That doesn’t erase the 58 minutes of crap that preceded it.

Nah...I’m talking about the bad stuff too. I gave Fleck a well deserved F. I don’t think everything about the other 58 minutes was bad. Defense played well in the 2nd half, for example.

That was a huge play on third to pick up that yardage. Also worth noting it is frustrating that we ended up in 3rd and 30 to begin with.

That was a huge play on third to pick up that yardage. Also worth noting it is frustrating that we ended up in 3rd and 30 to begin with.

Glass half empty, or glass half full.

Always good to go with half empty. More Minnesotan-esque.

All teams screw up. Winning teams overcome their screw-ups.

And with no timeouts.

It was a great drive but...tell me again... how did they get to 3rd and 30, with no timeouts?

So the headline is "I've never seen a win like that" and then he goes on to site multiple similar examples from just this year.....

All that aside, the non-conf season has not been pretty but it is awesome to see the way this team has battled back and pulled out the victory in some really tough situations. That should not be taken lightly because that has not been the case for Gopher Football for much of the last few decades. As Gopher fans we are used to seeing the team find a way to lose, this group is finding a way to win in spite of mental mistakes and crazy plays.

The offense has come up huge in some really difficult situations over the first 3 games. Situations where not making it means game over and they have come up with the big play/plays to get it done. 3rd and 30 yesterday was huge. Have also converted a handful of tough 3rd and 4th down conversions to finish or extend drives.

The play along the offensive line is reason for major concern and there are a ton of other things for the team to clean up over the next two weeks but it is great to see a Gopher team not fold in those high pressure late game situations. That experience in these first 3 games should give the team a ton of confidence when we get into those do or did situations in Big Ten play.

Top Bottom