Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGGopher View Post
    I've always said there shouldn't be any polls until about week 6 at the earliest. They're too heavily based on name and previous year's performance. That said, TV wouldn't have that...they LOVE saying #19 is playing #21 and other such garbage from week 1.
    The biggest problem with preseason/ early season polls is that humans are so susceptible to confirmation bias. Most of the AP voters dig their heels in and frequently double-down on horrible bets.

    The AP should create a statistician to create a formula for their rankings (especially the preseason/ early season rankings). In an era of abundant data, having a bunch of voters, who don’t even watch the games, create rankings is just comically obsolete.


  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    A P5 team that is 1-2 with the win being at home in OT against UL-Monroe.
    You think the Gophers would beat Boise right now? Or any other non ranked team?

  3. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gophernewbie View Post
    You think the Gophers would beat Boise right now? Or any other non ranked team?
    I think Fresno and Boise are pretty even this year. So, yeah, I think the Gophers are better than them.

    Boise was artificially pumped up because they beat FSU and people thought that meant something at the time.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember View Post
    The biggest problem with preseason/ early season polls is that humans are so susceptible to confirmation bias. Most of the AP voters dig their heels in and frequently double-down on horrible bets.

    The AP should create a statistician to create a formula for their rankings (especially the preseason/ early season rankings). In an era of abundant data, having a bunch of voters, who don’t even watch the games, create rankings is just comically obsolete.
    Yup. The converse to this though is national recognition by the pollsters is something we crave even when we understand its a biased imperfect beauty contest. Part of the fabric of sports I suppose.

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gophernewbie View Post
    You think the Gophers would beat Boise right now? Or any other non ranked team?
    Well, I think Fresno State and Boise are pretty even-steven.

    So... YES.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Well, I think Fresno State and Boise are pretty even-steven.

    So... YES.
    You argument for Florida State not being a good win for Boise is that they are 1-2. Boise is 3-0 and Fresno is 0-2. Having watched both Fresno games and 2 of the Boise games I think Boise would be a heavy favorite over us or Fresno right now

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gophernewbie View Post
    You think the Gophers would beat Boise right now? Or any other non ranked team?
    The gophers have already beaten 3 non-ranked teams.

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gophernewbie View Post
    You argument for Florida State not being a good win for Boise is that they are 1-2. Boise is 3-0 and Fresno is 0-2. Having watched both Fresno games and 2 of the Boise games I think Boise would be a heavy favorite over us or Fresno right now
    I never made any argument, one way or the other, about the bolded part.

    I do think Fresno and Boise are pretty equal, and I do not find the idea of the Gophers being able to beat Boise as preposterous at all. I think we could handle either of them.

    As far as your using Fresno's 0-2 record to buttress your argument, I'll just toss out a gentle reminder that one of Fresno's two losses was to...



    ... Minnesota.
    Last edited by RememberMurray; 09-16-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    3,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    I never made any argument, one way or the other, about the bolded part.

    I do think Fresno and Boise are pretty equal, and I do not find the idea of the Gophers being able to beat Boise as preposterous at all. I think we could handle either of them.

    As far as your using Fresno's 0-2 record to buttress your argument, I'll just toss out a gentle reminder that one of Fresno's two losses was to...



    ... Minnesota.
    I think their QB would pick apart our prevent pass coverage.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

  10. #25

    Default

    Fresno isn't scheduled to play Boise this year, unless they end up playing each other in the Mountain West Championship game.

    Last year Boise beat Fresno State 24-17 in the regular season, and then Fresno State beat Boise 19-16 in the rematch in the MW Championship Game. Both games were played at Boise.

    Fresno only had two losses last season: one to Boise, one to Minnesota. The Bulldogs ended their season beating Arizona State in the Las Vegas Bowl, 31-20.

    Fresno State is a quality team. They are well-coached, and they have a winning recent history.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    The gophers have already beaten 3 non-ranked teams.

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Sorry I was saying I don't see any other non ranked team beating Boise.

  12. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Fresno isn't scheduled to play Boise this year, unless they end up playing each other in the Mountain West Championship game.

    Last year Boise beat Fresno State 24-17 in the regular season, and then Fresno State beat Boise 19-16 in the rematch in the MW Championship Game. Both games were played at Boise.

    Fresno only had two losses last season: one to Boise, one to Minnesota. The Bulldogs ended their season beating Arizona State in the Las Vegas Bowl, 31-20.

    Fresno State is a quality team. They are well-coached, and they have a winning recent history.
    Ton of respect for what Tedford has accomplished there!

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    4,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    Ton of respect for what Tedford has accomplished there!
    THIS

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post


    Clemson
    Wake Forest
    Virginia
    K-State
    Baylor

    Oklahoma
    Texas Tech
    Iowa
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin

    Ohio St
    Penn St
    California
    Georgia
    Florida

    Alabama
    Auburn
    LSU


    Michigan - LOST
    Notre Dame - LOST
    TCU - LOST
    Ok St. - LOST
    Washington St - LOST
    Arizona St - LOST
    Utah - LOST
    Updated - now 18
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

  15. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    I never made any argument, one way or the other, about the bolded part.

    I do think Fresno and Boise are pretty equal, and I do not find the idea of the Gophers being able to beat Boise as preposterous at all. I think we could handle either of them.

    As far as your using Fresno's 0-2 record to buttress your argument, I'll just toss out a gentle reminder that one of Fresno's two losses was to...



    ... Minnesota.
    And the other to USC who knocked off 23 ranked Stanford and 10th ranked Utah...Fresno lost by a touchdown in a very close game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •