Arizona St
Utah

Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
LSU

Now at 24.
Three of the 24 only played 2 games so far.

Updated

Clemson
Wake Forest
Virginia

K-State
Ok St.
Baylor
Oklahoma
TCU

Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin 2-0
Ohio St
Penn St
Michigan 2-0

Notre Dame 2-0

California
Washington St
Arizona St
Utah

Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
LSU

Now at 24.
Three of the 24 only played 2 games so far.

So there are 21 teams that are 3-0.

3 teams from the B1G West are 3-0.

Purdue is 1-2.

Facts are fun. Thanks, FTF. A day brightener!

Yeah, but we’re not covering the point spread, so the wins don’t count.

Iowa escaped with a win in Ames.

Still can't believe how pathetic that one ended.

Gophers currently 37th in both polls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Army and Michigan State receiving more votes than us makes no sense. Army took Michigan to OT, but also only beat Rice 14-7, and beat UT San Antonio. Michigan St has wins against Tulsa and WMU.

I've always said there shouldn't be any polls until about week 6 at the earliest. They're too heavily based on name and previous year's performance. That said, TV wouldn't have that...they LOVE saying #19 is playing #21 and other such garbage from week 1.

I would say with near certainty that if the Gophers get by Purdue they will be ranked. Can’t see them not being ranked at that point. And when’s the last time that’s happened? How many times in the last 15 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always said there shouldn't be any polls until about week 6 at the earliest. They're too heavily based on name and previous year's performance. That said, TV wouldn't have that...they LOVE saying #19 is playing #21 and other such garbage from week 1.

The biggest problem with preseason/ early season polls is that humans are so susceptible to confirmation bias. Most of the AP voters dig their heels in and frequently double-down on horrible bets.

The AP should create a statistician to create a formula for their rankings (especially the preseason/ early season rankings). In an era of abundant data, having a bunch of voters, who don’t even watch the games, create rankings is just comically obsolete.

You think the Gophers would beat Boise right now? Or any other non ranked team?

I think Fresno and Boise are pretty even this year. So, yeah, I think the Gophers are better than them.

Boise was artificially pumped up because they beat FSU and people thought that meant something at the time.

The biggest problem with preseason/ early season polls is that humans are so susceptible to confirmation bias. Most of the AP voters dig their heels in and frequently double-down on horrible bets.

The AP should create a statistician to create a formula for their rankings (especially the preseason/ early season rankings). In an era of abundant data, having a bunch of voters, who don’t even watch the games, create rankings is just comically obsolete.

Yup. The converse to this though is national recognition by the pollsters is something we crave even when we understand its a biased imperfect beauty contest. Part of the fabric of sports I suppose.

Well, I think Fresno State and Boise are pretty even-steven.

So... YES.

You argument for Florida State not being a good win for Boise is that they are 1-2. Boise is 3-0 and Fresno is 0-2. Having watched both Fresno games and 2 of the Boise games I think Boise would be a heavy favorite over us or Fresno right now

You think the Gophers would beat Boise right now? Or any other non ranked team?
The gophers have already beaten 3 non-ranked teams.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

You argument for Florida State not being a good win for Boise is that they are 1-2. Boise is 3-0 and Fresno is 0-2. Having watched both Fresno games and 2 of the Boise games I think Boise would be a heavy favorite over us or Fresno right now

I never made any argument, one way or the other, about the bolded part.

I do think Fresno and Boise are pretty equal, and I do not find the idea of the Gophers being able to beat Boise as preposterous at all. I think we could handle either of them.

As far as your using Fresno's 0-2 record to buttress your argument, I'll just toss out a gentle reminder that one of Fresno's two losses was to...

... Minnesota.

Last edited:

I do think Fresno and Boise are pretty equal, and I do not find the idea of the Gophers being able to beat Boise as preposterous at all. I think we could handle either of them.

As far as your using Fresno's 0-2 record to buttress your argument, I'll just toss out a gentle reminder that one of Fresno's two losses was to...

... Minnesota.

I think their QB would pick apart our prevent pass coverage.

Fresno isn't scheduled to play Boise this year, unless they end up playing each other in the Mountain West Championship game.

Last year Boise beat Fresno State 24-17 in the regular season, and then Fresno State beat Boise 19-16 in the rematch in the MW Championship Game. Both games were played at Boise.

Fresno only had two losses last season: one to Boise, one to Minnesota. The Bulldogs ended their season beating Arizona State in the Las Vegas Bowl, 31-20.

Fresno State is a quality team. They are well-coached, and they have a winning recent history.

Fresno isn't scheduled to play Boise this year, unless they end up playing each other in the Mountain West Championship game.

Last year Boise beat Fresno State 24-17 in the regular season, and then Fresno State beat Boise 19-16 in the rematch in the MW Championship Game. Both games were played at Boise.

Fresno only had two losses last season: one to Boise, one to Minnesota. The Bulldogs ended their season beating Arizona State in the Las Vegas Bowl, 31-20.

Fresno State is a quality team. They are well-coached, and they have a winning recent history.

Ton of respect for what Tedford has accomplished there!

Clemson
Wake Forest
Virginia
K-State
Baylor

Oklahoma
Texas Tech
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin

Ohio St
Penn St
California
Georgia
Florida

Alabama
Auburn
LSU

Michigan - LOST
Notre Dame - LOST
TCU - LOST
Ok St. - LOST
Washington St - LOST
Arizona St - LOST
Utah - LOST

Updated - now 18

... Minnesota.

And the other to USC who knocked off 23 ranked Stanford and 10th ranked Utah...Fresno lost by a touchdown in a very close game.

Top Bottom