Fleck Postgame

"Believes in his guys" is a good sound bite, but going for it on 4th and 1 there was the wrong decision. You could use that line to try to wallpaper over pretty much any situation where you made too aggressive of a decision. "Coach, why did you go for it on 4th and 18 inside your own five in the 1st quarter?" "You can blame that on me, but I believe in my guys."

Funny, he didn't believe in his guys vs SDSU on the opening drive of the game when in plus territory.

This team didn’t win with Culture or Character or any of that. They won because this is the most receiving talent in Gopher history paired with a good QB.

The Gophers are a C grade defense and inefficient running game like most years. They insist on trying to be a running team. They aren’t. Minnesota has only actually been good at running the football under Mason. Otherwise it’s an identity the program isn’t very good at.

If the team continues to lean on its bounty of receiving talent that goes 4 quality guys deep (at least) then there’s a chance to be pretty good. Otherwise it’s going to be pure average and another 6-6.

And ours DID NOT.

Our coaches choked and tried to piss three games now down their legs.

The boys did not choke, thank god.

They deserve better coaches. None of the past three games should have been close. We’ve been unprepared and have not adjusted to the circumstances of the game.

Our rushing average is abysmal given the lack of imagination in play calling AND the relatively weak defenses we’ve played.

We have’t played a B1G caliber defense or anything close to it and are averaging 2.6 yards per carry so far this season. That is 62% of our average for the whole of last season including the B1G season and bowl game. We’ll be facing real defense in 8 of the next 9 games.

No amount of BS coach speak “I believe in my guys” can make up for one of the dumbest play calls on an extremely risky 4th down on the 35 yard line which should have been a punt anyway given the lead we had.

But keep telling yourself that everything’s ok. We’re 3-0, which is great. The trends suggest we’re in trouble now that the competition will increase greatly in the coming weeks.

I’m sure this has all just been an elaborate ruse to dominate the Big Ten now that the conference season is here.

It certainly looks more like a second rate coach that is in way over his head, can’t keep coaches on his team and is more focused on what we’ll wear that how we play.

Oh, and keep telling yourself we’re their Super Bowl PJ. We had a weak non-con schedule and scraped three wins out over teams we have more talent than BY FAR. According to the team talent rankings at 247sports we (the 46th ranked team) were taken to the wire by the

83 (Fresno State)
102 (Georgia Southern)
And 209 (South Dakota State)

ranked teams based on talent.

The bad news? Rutgers, at 58th is the lowest ranked team we’ll face the rest of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I think it is also worth noting that in the three non conference games, they have seen two redshirt quarterbacks. Reyna is a senior but was starting just his second game. Total number of starts of the open's QB's, not including the MN game: 2. They are going to see some veteran quarterbacks very soon. Veteran QB's who are much less likely to throw key interceptions and untimely fumbles. The Gophers have benefitted greatly from some key mistakes from the three inexperienced quarterbacks. Already seeing a lot of talk of losing players due to injuries in the Georgia Southern game. But, gotta remember that the Eagles played without their very talented QB today who was their leading rusher last year and the MVP of their bowl game. For an option team, that's a HUGE loss. Yet, they were in the game until the end.

Not trying to get him. Just find the statement about going for it today stupid, when in game one in a better situation he didn't.

I felt the same way.
I wouldn't have gone for it the other time and this one was about 4th and 3 inches and I would have gone for it.
So it is proof of inconsistency, but I think it's okay for a head coach to make a game decision like that.

They deserve better coaches. None of the past three games should have been close. We’ve been unprepared and have not adjusted to the circumstances of the game.

Our rushing average is abysmal given the lack of imagination in play calling AND the relatively weak defenses we’ve played.

We have’t played a B1G caliber defense or anything close to it and are averaging 2.6 yards per carry so far this season. That is 62% of our average for the whole of last season including the B1G season and bowl game. We’ll be facing real defense in 8 of the next 9 games.

No amount of BS coach speak “I believe in my guys” can make up for one of the dumbest play calls on an extremely risky 4th down on the 35 yard line which should have been a punt anyway given the lead we had.

But keep telling yourself that everything’s ok. We’re 3-0, which is great. The trends suggest we’re in trouble now that the competition will increase greatly in the coming weeks.

I’m sure this has all just been an elaborate ruse to dominate the Big Ten now that the conference season is here.

It certainly looks more like a second rate coach that is in way over his head, can’t keep coaches on his team and is more focused on what we’ll wear that how we play.

Oh, and keep telling yourself we’re their Super Bowl PJ. We had a weak non-con schedule and scraped three wins out over teams we have more talent than BY FAR. According to the team talent rankings at 247sports we (the 46th ranked team) were taken to the wire by the

83 (Fresno State)
102 (Georgia Southern)

The bad news? Rutgers, at 58th is the lowest ranked team we’ll face the rest of the way.

3-0. It’s tough on you. I get it. You’ll be ok.

There will plenty of opportunities when they lose that you’ll be able to lose your mind over. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brohm Post game:

His opening statement is essentially:
Bad day, disappointing, thank the fans, last 6 games had 3 losses that haven't been good. have to go back and see, need to play better, starts with him.

So the same as Fleck's, except Fleck doesn't have that "lost / losses" part.

Last edited:

There will plenty of opportunities when they lose that you’ll be able to lose your mind over. Hang in there.

Do you have this on cut’n’paste?
No one is complaining about 3-0.
Get a frickin’ clue.

What do you suppose Purdue fans are saying about Brohm tonight?

This sucks, but at least we didn’t get Fleck?
That’s my guess.

What's Brohm's non-conference record since becoming Purdue's head coach?

The most GWG post ever. Let’s pick the most meaningless stat ever and strut it. Transparent. Sad. Perfect for you. Thanks for the treat.

Do you have this on cut’n’paste?
No one is complaining about 3-0.
Get a frickin’ clue.

Quit complaining.

The most GWG post ever. Let’s pick the most meaningless stat ever and strut it. Transparent. Sad. Perfect for you. Thanks for the treat.

I asked a legitimate question, why don't you answer it? You've said before wins and losses are all that matters. So now wins and losses don't matter?

Last edited:

He also mentioned that Tanner has a 4.0 (which I'm guessing means 3.6 in Fleck numbers) and is a great boyfriend.

I asked a legitimate question, why don't you answer it? You've said before wins and losses are all that matters. So now wins and losses don't matter?

Why have you stopped preaching talent rankings? You literally are less respectable on this board than G4L was.

Strutting a non-conference record. You can’t make it up. Good night joke.

I felt the same way.
I wouldn't have gone for it the other time and this one was about 4th and 3 inches and I would have gone for it.
So it is proof of inconsistency, but I think it's okay for a head coach to make a game decision like that.

I'd have gone for it vs SDSU and not today. Field position would have been the reason for both.
Not a great play call today, that would have been a time for a Tanner pull and run or go wildcat with Green. I know they gut stuffed on most of the wildcat plays today, but I think that would have been a better option than what play was run

Why have you stopped preaching talent rankings? You literally are less respectable on this board than G4L was.

Strutting a non-conference record. You can’t make it up. Good night joke.

That's all you have? Now resorting to name calling? Talent still matters and Fleck has raised the talent on this team. You've admitted that yourself. When did I stop preaching talent rankings?

I guess I should be listening to more of Brohm's post game conferences. I should want to hear what a coach has to say after starting 1-2 in his 3rd season. Somehow listening to a coach who's 3-6 in his last 9 games is better than listening to the coach of my favorite team who's 7-2 in his last 9 games.

I'd have gone for it vs SDSU and not today. Field position would have been the reason for both.
Not a great play call today, that would have been a time for a Tanner pull and run or go wildcat with Green. I know they gut stuffed on most of the wildcat plays today, but I think that would have been a better option than what play was run

I didn't like the play call. I agree on that.

I also don't like our "rush to the line to get the short yardage play" because we seem to fail at that at an unusually high percentage for a short yardage play. If you want to do the "rush to the line" thing, it should be a QB sneak everytime. Not something out of a pistol or shotgun formation. It needs to be quick to hit the line.

And ours DID NOT.

83 (Fresno State)
102 (Georgia Southern)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

So you're saying we're not Ohio State? Or Alabama? Or Clemson? Thanks for the hot take.

We get it--the Gophers aren't a top 10 team. So we fire the coaches because the players they recruited deserve better?

Like who?

The coaches we have are the coaches we have. They need to do a batter job.

Don’t worry I wasn’t saying Fleck should be fired, but he should be doing a better job as with all of the coaches in this team.

We’re 3-0 and there are a lot of teams who would love to be 3-0 that aren’t.

If you’ve seen something that suggests a team that should have won all three games against inferior teams comfortably, but has struggled to run, pass, ply defense or execute special teams consistently, is going to be a better team than the one that finishes last year, please, enlighten me.

Have one game against this pillowy soft Non-Conf schedule that is a mess happens. All three is a trend.

Thanks for the concern, but 3-0 is not tough on me at all.

Barely beating poor teams? Yeah, not a lot of entertaining football from a team that has taken a step back from the end of last season. That bums me out a little.

As does having the 99th ranked offense after playing teams ranked in the 90s for total defense. These are data points that concern me as a fan.

Last edited:

83 (Fresno State)
102 (Georgia Southern)

So you're saying we're not Ohio State? Or Alabama? Or Clemson? Thanks for the hot take.

We get it--the Gophers aren't a top 10 team. So we fire the coaches because the players they recruited deserve better?[/QUOTE]
——-/
We have the talent to be a much better team than we are, but I don’t think anyone expected us to be a top ten team. I was expecting the team to look better this year than last.

Where did I say fire the coaches?

I said the players deserve better.
The current staff needs to improve their best.

Last edited:

18 game non-conference winning streak (longest in nation)
They beat Wisconsin, in Wisconsin last year
Dominating bowl win
Best receivers/ passing game we’ve had in as long as I can remember
Better recruiting
Just beat three teams that had 10 wins last year (and had established coaches/programs)
Still a young team (need red shirt seniors to fulfill full potential)
Still young at QB (hasn’t played a full season worth of starts yet.
Everyone looking at possible potential of team(there’s a reason for that)

3-0 , look at rest of BIg ten, only the top teams are unbeaten.

Top Bottom