How many people still believe?

They’ve won 6 out of the last 7. Yet what you get around here would make you believe they’ve lost 6 out of the last 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't winning four out of the last five last year, and the first three this year make us 7 for our last 8?

I think he is the answer.

I have faith in him as a program builder, he seems to recruit intelligently (filling up the classes in the right way, we don't have a ton of attrition and the positions seem to be spread out well). He is a good recruiter and his players really like playing for him.

I think his decision making today was brutal (going for it on 4th, the TOs, some of the playcalling - which I know is his OC), but I haven't thought it was always brutal.

Doesn't winning four out of the last five last year, and the first three this year make us 7 for our last 8?

Whatever it is the reaction by some to the 3-0 start is weird.

IMO that has more to do with their feeling about Fleck. The OP asking this question shows that.

I have faith in him as a program builder, he seems to recruit intelligently (filling up the classes in the right way, we don't have a ton of attrition and the positions seem to be spread out well). He is a good recruiter and his players really like playing for him.

I think his decision making today was brutal (going for it on 4th, the TOs, some of the playcalling - which I know is his OC), but I haven't thought it was always brutal.

I think one can be in the boat, yet concern.

Seems a few on here think it's black and white

I think he's the answer.

And I think he has a learning curve at this level just like anyone else would. His last gig was the MAC and he wasn't even there very long. He has some things to learn and I would imagine he would be the first one to tell you that. And I think he will.

Obviously our offensive play calling leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps we are so limited because of our offensive line. I see very little improvement in three games. Where is Geordie Shaw when you need him. He would do wonders with this talent.

I think one can be in the boat, yet concern.

Seems a few on here think it's black and white

I still think he's right, but I'm afraid we are far more likely to finish the season 5-7 or 6-6 than 10-2 or 9-3 this season.
We are playing like we are "younger" than we looked end of last season.

Last year we could run the ball. This year we can't.

The talent level seems to be improving, so recruiting, check. As far as coaching goes, Fleck is still young. I'm hoping we see some improvement in game coaching which has been suspect. But still is our best option, so yes.

Well, I still believe he was the right hire at the time. I’m not as optimistic about our future as I was 3-weeks ago, but yeah - I still believe. What choice do we have?

I think he's the answer.

And I think he has a learning curve at this level just like anyone else would. His last gig was the MAC and he wasn't even there very long. He has some things to learn and I would imagine he would be the first one to tell you that. And I think he will.

Wow.

I’m still in the boat. But also extremely disappointed and concerned by what I saw today.

Some obvious concerns in how we have played over the first 3 weeks but we are finding a way to win. That hasn't always been the case in years past.

I'm not as high on our chances of winning the West this year as I was going into the season but I am still fully on board with Fleck as the long term solution and the coach that can finally get us over the hump.

Me

If the Gophers are in a position to fire a coach because they don't win by enough, that's news to me.

We're in year 3 and are 3-0 and talking about firing the coach....let that sink in for a second

Please take a peek at the upsets so far this week and this season. Could be much worse. A lot of things are correctable.

Last edited:

Here’s the real question: How would you feel if we lost today? What if we had lost two close and won one of the 3, all close?
The fact we pulled all three out is a pretty big factor in how tolerant I am. In other words, we gotta play better going forward for me to keep the faith. Ha, or at least keep winning even in ugly fashion.

And about our O-Line: Callahan was a great coach as the season unfolded last year. Seems doubtful he forgot how to coach.

Last edited:

Here’s the real question: How would you feel if we lost today? What if we had lost two close and won one of the 3, all close?
The fact we pulled all three out is a pretty big factor in how tolerant I am. In other words, we gotta play better going forward for me to keep the faith.

And about our O-Line: Callahan was a great coach as the season unfolded last year. Seems doubtful he forgot how to coach.

All of this.

I’ll take 9-3 with a bunch of close, ugly wins. Beats 3-9 and a bunch of blowout losses

The fact we pulled all three out is a pretty big factor in how tolerant I am. In other words, we gotta play better going forward for me to keep the faith.

It would depend on the competition. A middling B1G team should blow out a team like GSU at home.

Yes. I have concerns given the last few games, but they (at least SDSU and Fresno) are good teams. We beat the Skunks last year, won a solid bowl game, and are 3-0. Given time I think Fleck will turn this program into a consistent winner, if not perennial B10 contender.

Count me in. This team under this culture put team first and they are learning how to win as a team. The players have developed a strong bond together and they are finding ways to win. They need to improve in a lot of areas. Recruiting is better, and will get even better if they start winning more often.

Am I worried about the Big Ten scheduled opponents? Sure I am. But, I am looking at the big picture.

IMHO, PJ Fleck if he stays for the long haul will elevate Gopher football above their average 5th place perch in the Big Ten West.

Building a program takes time especially at Minnesota where recruiting was very dismal for a long time. We need to be patient.

Compare the coaching record of these current and former Big Ten (West) coaches:

PJ Fleck - https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/pj-fleck-1.html
Barry Alvarez - https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/barry-alvarez-1.html
Hayden Fry - https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/hayden-fry-1.html
Gary Barnett - https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/gary-barnett-1.html
Kirk Ferentz - https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/kirk-ferentz-1.html
Pat Fitzerald - https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/pat-fitzgerald-1.html

Row the Boat! I don't give a f*** HOW the Gophers win games just as long as they win games. Quit yer bitchin'.

I remain a fan, but also believe we have played like the worst 3-0 P5 team in the country. Some factors are baffling....

Top Bottom