FIRE KIRK CIARROCCA!!!!

Shotgun TWICE with less than a yard to go and lose yards?????????????

If only we had a big QB to sneak with and could push him with the backs for a second surge and had 345/guy on one side!

Hmmmmm

Morgan doesn't run the ball much because designed QB runs have never been a significant part of the Ciarrocca offense and probably never will be. Also, not running the QB doesn't make the offense one-dimensional. The RBs can run the ball.

The problem is the offensive line. The offensive line needs to open up holes. And if it won't then a vanilla inside zone running scheme isn't going to work.

The problem is the offensive line. The offensive line needs to open up holes. And if it won't then a vanilla inside zone running scheme isn't going to work.

Zone isn't great with plodders...need athleticism and quicks as much as strength.

Here's the thing...
Inside zone run blocking, flat freaking doesn't work. They need to use the sconnie Iowa model that moves DLmen off positions.
Our OL gets beat way too many times because they block straight ahead and all the DL have to do is stunt around it.

KC is way too much like Limegrover during the Kill era (he was actually way better after Kill retired)
They think they can advertise to the defense exactly what were going to do with predictability and just out play and out man anyone.

We have proven we cannot out play and out man SDSU and GSU. They MUST learn to be creative, scheme block, and for God's sake, get a
little less obvious with #17. Every time he had the ball, they did the same g'damn thing. You cannot win in those situations, against nobody.

Lastly, Kirk is supposed to be the QB whisperer....and Tanner Morgan is doing fine, but Kirk needs to teach this kid to stop advertising where he's
throwing the ball on every single pass play.

Here's the thing...
Inside zone run blocking, flat freaking doesn't work. They need to use the sconnie Iowa model that moves DLmen off positions.
Our OL gets beat way too many times because they block straight ahead and all the DL have to do is stunt around it.

KC is way too much like Limegrover during the Kill era (he was actually way better after Kill retired)
They think they can advertise to the defense exactly what were going to do with predictability and just out play and out man anyone.

We have proven we cannot out play and out man SDSU and GSU. They MUST learn to be creative, scheme block, and for God's sake, get a
little less obvious with #17. Every time he had the ball, they did the same g'damn thing. You cannot win in those situations, against nobody.

Lastly, Kirk is supposed to be the QB whisperer....and Tanner Morgan is doing fine, but Kirk needs to teach this kid to stop advertising where he's
throwing the ball on every single pass play.

Did you like O last year vs. Purdue...Wisconsin...GT? It's the same scheme. The OL is struggling and needs to get better. The best way to get better is to keep doing it. The games have been close enough the staff hasn't felt the need to abandon the gameplan altogether. I'm equally frustrated, trust me...but it's not at the scheme, it's the OL ineffectiveness. I'd love to see a little more creativity headed into the B1G season, but I'd love even more to see improvement upfront.

My problem is with the overt predictability with the offense. They were bringing 8 guys near the line and crashing down on the ball carrier. How many first down passes did we attempt (with obvious numerical and talent advantages in the secondary)? 1....3......? Without our talent at WR (3rd and 30, 4th and 8, Douglass, Bateman's Jukes, TJ) we were cooked. Speaking of TE's, The times we weren't going 4 wide, the middle of the field was wide open.

Also, when did we decide that allowing a gap of 1.5 yards right up the middle on FG's was a good idea?

Did you like O last year vs. Purdue...Wisconsin...GT? It's the same scheme. The OL is struggling and needs to get better. The best way to get better is to keep doing it. The games have been close enough the staff hasn't felt the need to abandon the gameplan altogether. I'm equally frustrated, trust me...but it's not at the scheme, it's the OL ineffectiveness. I'd love to see a little more creativity headed into the B1G season, but I'd love even more to see improvement upfront.
You're not doing your OL any favors when everyone on the defensive knows exactly what's coming. They need to do a better job of keeping the defenders off balance. Throwing in some misdirection and QB keepers every once in awhile would do the OL a world of good.

One thing that has been bugging me: why can’t we just run the original play called?! The constant last second play call change from the sideline that often results in a complete dud play.

We have seen this movie before...no back up QB so we become on dimensional on offense. If Tanner can't run 6-8 times per game because we have no back up then we are screwed no matter what. Time to let him run until he gets hurt or the season ends...its football, we have to play the game fully.

Or just call a different play. Last I checked, not everything had
To be a read option.

Shotgun TWICE with less than a yard to go and lose yards?????????????

If only we had a big QB to sneak with and could push him with the backs for a second surge and had 345/guy on one side!

Hmmmmm

Post of the day!

The Gophers don't run zone read, which is why Morgan rarely keeps the ball. It's an RPO, not a zone read.

It is amazing how many times this needs to be pointed out.

You should exchange phone numbers with 1967 2.0. You guys could charge people to watch you watch the games. You guys would love each other!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for stopping by, Mike. *thumbsup:rolleyes:
tHANK YOU

They do need to find consistenacy and more creative ways of utilizing the depth at RB and WR. I think the oline may be hindering the overall gameplan but would'nt mind Ciarrocca bringing in a creative voice to the room.

Didn't read the whole thread so maybe someone else has said this.... Did it seem a bit Limegrover-esque at times?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Serious question to you all: is Fleck too loyal to Ciarrocca?

He wasn't loyal to Robb Smith, because Smith was a new coach to him. But Ciarrocca has been him since 2013 at WMU.

We all saw the step change improvement from switching out Smith.

Is Fleck actually prepared and capable of making the same switch on offense, if it is warranted?

I’m not ready to bail on the OC, we were happy he didn’t go to West Virginia not that long ago. He and Fleck have two weeks to re-evaluate three games and what needs to be done. I’m assuming they’re smart enough to do that.

The question is can we get the O-Line figured out in time. Speaking of that, any thoughts on these guys being too big and slow? Do you think the staff starts recruiting a bit smaller but quicker lineman if they are determined to stick with the inside zone scheme?

I’m not ready to bail on the OC, we were happy he didn’t go to West Virginia not that long ago. He and Fleck have two weeks to re-evaluate three games and what needs to be done. I’m assuming they’re smart enough to do that.

The question is can we get the O-Line figured out in time. Speaking of that, any thoughts on these guys being too big and slow? Do you think the staff starts recruiting a bit smaller but quicker lineman if they are determined to stick with the inside zone scheme?

Well put. I'm concerned about our big guys on the offensive line. Clearly not keeping up with the smaller defensive line. Perhaps another off season in the weight room will take care part of the problem.

He wasn't loyal to Robb Smith, because Smith was a new coach to him. But Ciarrocca has been him since 2013 at WMU.

Is Fleck actually prepared and capable of making the same switch on offense, if it is warranted?

Smith and Fleck also had history working together.

Serious question....

If they were to fire Ciarrocca now, who would take his place, and do you have confidence that we would see the same immediate improvement we saw after that Robb Smith firing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Continuing to run even if not effective keeps these non-conference teams playing 8 or 9 men in the box and makes double covering Johnson, Bateman, et. al near impossible.Big Ten play is starting. Run the ball...stop the run...throw the ball 18 to 22 times a game and keep the other team stacking the box and not paying enough attention to the passing game.

Last edited:

Ciarrocca was offered the Auburn OC job 2 years ago and the WV job this past off-season. This wasn’t Robb Smith giving up 50 to Illinois, we scored 35 points. Smith has installed the best passing offense in our lifetimes. He isn’t going anywhere.

Was it frustrating to watch our running game? Absolutely. We also were forced to play our 5th string running back who couldn’t bounce anything to the outside. We also have, dare I say it, a young offensive line. Even 2 of the guys that returned are playing different positions (Olson at Center, Andries at LG, Schlueter at LT). My biggest question at this point is do we have the o-line playing the right positions.

He coached with Robb under Schiano at Rutgers and Tampa Bay, went back just as far as he did with KC

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ciarrocca doesn't stare down receivers. He doesn't fumble. He doesn't miss blocks. Success comes from the players, they also can be a source of problems. Good coaches fix problems, or at least cover them up. The Purdue game will show marked improvement. Book it.

Ciarrocca was offered the Auburn OC job 2 years ago and the WV job this past off-season. This wasn’t Robb Smith giving up 50 to Illinois, we scored 35 points. Smith has installed the best passing offense in our lifetimes. He isn’t going anywhere.

Was it frustrating to watch our running game? Absolutely. We also were forced to play our 5th string running back who couldn’t bounce anything to the outside. We also have, dare I say it, a young offensive line. Even 2 of the guys that returned are playing different positions (Olson at Center, Andries at LG, Schlueter at LT). My biggest question at this point is do we have the o-line playing the right positions.

Thank you for the reality check. This helps.

Now, I hope we can get it figured out!

Post of the day!

Top Bottom