Regardless of how this game turns out, Fleck gets an F

3-0...

No Fs for that.

Yup. You can’t get an F if you win the game. Just like you can’t get an A if you lose.

It is what it is. I’ll save my angst for the day we lose our first game we should have won.

Yea I am.

Some of you despise him so much you’re actually mad they’re 3-0.

It as if you would be happier if they were 0-3. Then you could pat each other on the back for thinking your right about PJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This GSU team is an opponent that we should have beaten easily. How in the hell do you defend going for a fourth and one on your own 35 before halftime? You are out of your freaking mind. I actually have learned to appreciate Fleck, but his team needs to step it up.

Fleck= F
Players= C

4th and 1 first half go for it in minus territory...bad enough. Do it from shotgun....questionable.
1st and inches from GL and go for it from shotgun again and lose 2 yards....inexcusable.
Bear Bryant....3 things you ever do to a mistake.
1. admit it
2. learn from it
3. don't repeat it.

If only we had a 240 QB/WR that could go under center and sneak it. Combined with that, if only the RBs could give a second surge if needed. OH WAIT!!!!! All of that is possible....and we go damn shotgun and lose yards again!

We can't do step 1.

Gopher players and Ga. Southern DBs (dropped at least 3 pics; 1 of which could've iced the game) bailed staff out.

In defense of my thread title, Fleck might grade his performance as an F too. He mentioned in the press conference that he didn’t coach very well today.

I don’t want him fired, or anything like that. I just don’t ever want to see him go for it on 4th down on their own 35 yard line, with an 8 point lead in the first half.....ever again.

Those are incredibly low standards.

I want PJ to be successful because I love the Gophers. I had season tickets for 15 years and have spent a ton of time and money on the program and I am a rabid fan. This idea that people criticizing Fleck want him to fail is absolutely lunacy. Stop playing that card, it's pathetic.

Today was an F for the coaches. If we win 6 games this year, the season is D+/C- (if there are injuries) for the coaches.

This program has been irrelevant for 50 years. The bar is that incredibly low.

There are people on this board that absolutely want Fleck to fail. Of course it’s not everyone who criticizes him that wants that.

And if they only win 6 games go ahead and the give the coaches whatever grade you want. It’s meaningless.

I was A-Okay with going for it on 4th down.
The play call and execution was horrendous.

Do we not know how to run a simple QB sneak?

This GSU team is an opponent that we should have beaten easily. How in the hell do you defend going for a fourth and one on your own 35 before halftime? You are out of your freaking mind. I actually have learned to appreciate Fleck, but his team needs to step it up.

Where did I say anything about the 4th down call?

You must be one of those 9+ win truthers.

Yeah, I had Flecksters chide me for questioning why he didn't go for it on 4th down on SDSU'S 35 in the opener...

I'll take 3 wins in dramatic fashion as a sales point to keep Fleck and his staff. The team is winning. Yes, it feels like the non conference during the Mason years, but we won't know if we only win 3 conference games for a while. I would certainly not fire Fleck for winning now. I am still riding the Wisconsin game and beating Georgia Tech in the bowl. Won't wear off for a while.
Let's see how our non conference opponents fair at the end of the season. If they all end up winning double digits again like 2018, then perhaps some sour attitudes about the gophers going 3-0 in tight games will change

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Let's see how our non conference opponents fair at the end of the season. If they all end up winning double digits again like 2018, then perhaps some sour attitudes about the gophers going 3-0 in tight games will change

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Perfect...then we will have a moral victory at least...when we win a total of five games this year with coaching like today's

Speculation

Perfect...then we will have a moral victory at least...when we win a total of five games this year with coaching like today's

I am happy to live in the moment of 3-0. We shall see what the record will be week to week. Let's just enjoy the moment and quit being so aggravated over what hasn't happened yet. Breath. Relax. And enjoy the moment.

I am happy to live in the moment of 3-0. We shall see what the record will be week to week. Let's just enjoy the moment and quit being so aggravated over what hasn't happened yet. Breath. Relax. And enjoy the moment.

I totally agree. Record-wise, this team is having a perfect season so far. Hopefully, they will get better as the season goes on, like they did last season (preferably sooner than later this season, though). As difficult as it is to see them make some of these mistakes, it's exciting to see them come back and win these games.

Also, I've seen quite a few complaints about the 4th down try in the 1st half. I was hoping they would go for it at the time...the players just didn't execute. I'm assuming the coaching staff didn't anticipate having such a close game at the end. I was thinking that if they could drive down and score at the end of the 1st half, that might be enough to put the game away. But, it wasn't meant to be.

A win automatically gives you a B. Next?

This program has been irrelevant for 50 years. The bar is that incredibly low.

There are people on this board that absolutely want Fleck to fail. Of course it’s not everyone who criticizes him that wants that.

And if they only win 6 games go ahead and the give the coaches whatever grade you want. It’s meaningless.

In very recent memory, we won 8 or 9 games in three out of four years. Our bar isnt the same as OSU's, but it can and should certainly be higher than "just get to a bowl game."

In very recent memory, we won 8 or 9 games in three out of four years. Our bar isnt the same as OSU's, but it can and should certainly be higher than "just get to a bowl game."

And this team right now is 3-0.

The program has not done better than just get to a bowl game in forever. That is the reality of where the bar currently is and has been.

Yes they need to play better going forward. Most notably the O-Line. The amount of angst over not winning the games they way some had wanted or hoped they would is ridiculous.

I didn’t have a problem with the 4th down call before half. I agree that doing it out of shotgun was questionable. My feeling before the play was “if our B1G OL can’t get enough of a push against GSU to get 1 yard, we probably don’t deserve to win”.

The timeout usage is beyond infuriating. It’s like the coaching staff is finding new and inventive situations to blow them.

Temple and EMU are both better teams than GaSo, so I’m not sure of your point?

Temple might be a bad example, but EMU is not clearly better than GaSo.

The main point is that they are all teams the Gophers are quite capable of beating who went on to beat teams considered better than them.

People need to take a deep breath and relax a bit. I expect issues to get cleaned up as time goes on. We aren't done seeing the type of play we saw at the end of last year.

Ever since week 1 this board had clearly adopted Sagarin ratings as the Bible. Based on that, yes EMU is better. I’ll check talent rankings next.

Yes, Sagarin is the best measurement we have to include all FBS and FCS teams.
Although as I posted today, the ACC bias of the Sagarin is showing this week as it was starting to be displayed last week as well.

Yes, <b>Sagarin is the best measurement we have to include all FBS and FCS teams.</b>
Although as I posted today, the ACC bias of the Sagarin is showing this week as it was starting to be displayed last week as well.

I remember way back when talent rankings was.

The timeouts really bothered me. The timeout when Georgia Southern was going for 2 from the 18 yard line was bad, but to use his last timeout when Georgia Southern was going for 2 after they took the lead. The worst thing that could happen on that play was the Gophers go down by 6 instead of 4. The Gophers needed a touchdown at this point, so the result of that play was close to meaningless, but the timeout was huge. Having that timeout would have allowed the Gophers to potentially get the ball back if their drive failed.

The other thing that bothers me is how long it takes our offense to run a play. After Douglas converted on 4th down, I believe the Gophers lost close to 30 seconds of game time before running their next play (if it wasn't after that play, it was after another one in the drive) which just cannot happen.

The 4th down call was strange given that the Gophers were both ahead and facing an option team who was unlikely to score if they punted given the limited time before halftime. This is the same team Gopher team that punted from like their opponent 37 yard line in their opener in a tie game. I would have much rather seen them go for it against South Dakota State and punt from inside their own 40 yesterday.

The positives from the game for me were the defense gave up basically nothing in the second half and Ciarrocca really dialed up some nice plays on that last touchdown drive after some really horrific Kill era style play calling on the drive prior.

I'd still give Fleck/Staff a "D" for yesterday and feel like people giving them an "F" are negating how rare it is to have block kick td and strip sack td in the same game (not to mention in like 3 minutes of game time). Have to give them some small amount of credit above an F for winning a game where they gave up both.

I can understand being upset with some of the coaching decisions. The 4th down call was brutal. What I don’t understand is all of the teeth gnashing and handwringing because we didn’t blow out any of the first 3 opponents. Is that really what everyone expected? Our first three foes were not Clemson, but they were not cupcakes. If we want games we can win 55-0 we should be scheduling FAMU, Savannah St, Prairie View or Bethune-Cookman. You don’t schedule a top 5 FCS team for an opener. It’s just asking for trouble. See Michigan and App State. Our kids found a way to win. Find a way to enjoy it. If you want a 55-0 blowout you don’t schedule a home-and-home with a Fresno State who is consistently one of the better group of five teams in the nation. They almost beat USC at their place the week before. They won 12 games last year including beating 2 PAC-12 teams, one being ASU in a bowl. We won on the road against a solid football team. Find a way to enjoy it. Georgia Southern is a proud program, with 6 FCS National Championships, all more recent than ours. They have beaten Florida before and have a history of scaring the **** out of helmet schools. Find a way to be happy we won.

The sky is not falling folks. At least not after these first three VICTORIES. Ask Florida State fans if they would rather be us right now. Ask them if they’d rather have Fleck than Taggert. We are 3-0 with some issues we need to clean up, I’ll give you that. But does anyone remember or care that we almost lost to Fresno last year? No, they don’t. And no one will care about these 3 scores if we do what we are capable of in the coming weeks. The next game is a huge one. I’ll worry about our direction after I see the score of that game. Until then, we are UNDEFEATED and have beaten 3 solid programs.

Last edited:

The other thing that bothers me is how long it takes our offense to run a play. After Douglas converted on 4th down, I believe the Gophers lost close to 30 seconds of game time before running their next play (if it wasn't after that play, it was after another one in the drive) which just cannot happen.

I must say that other than the play of the offensive line, this has bothered me more the first three games than anything else. I don’t understand why we continually take the play clock down to the last second on what seems like every other play. You are putting unnecessary stress on Morgan and the offense to get the play off. You can’t keep doing that without it creating penalties and turnovers. This needs to be fixed and in a hurry.

Top Bottom