Regardless of how this game turns out, Fleck gets an F

Ha. Scools is on every thread defending PJ’s honor right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And spends the winter trying to get pitino fired.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I am a firm believer that a win is a win is a win. If they can clean up the mistakes and improve o-line play they will be a very good team. If not, it's going to be a rough year. It's as simple as that. It's college football - big turnarounds can happen (see last year). Hopefully they get it figured out sooner than later

PJ clearly needs some help with clock (timeout) management though. It's been that way for 3 years so I am not sure that will improve suddenly.

I can understand being upset with some of the coaching decisions. The 4th down call was brutal. What I don’t understand is all of the teeth gnashing and handwringing because we didn’t blow out any of the first 3 opponents. Is that really what everyone expected? Our first three foes were not Clemson, but they were not cupcakes. If we want games we can win 55-0 we should be scheduling FAMU, Savannah St, Prairie View or Bethune-Cookman. You don’t schedule a top 5 FCS team for an opener. It’s just asking for trouble. See Michigan and App State. Our kids found a way to win. Find a way to enjoy it. If you want a 55-0 blowout you don’t schedule a home-and-home with a Fresno State who is consistently one of the better group of five teams in the nation. They almost beat USC at their place the week before. They won 12 games last year including beating 2 PAC-12 teams, one being ASU in a bowl. We won on the road against a solid football team. Find a way to enjoy it. Georgia Southern is a proud program, with 6 FCS National Championships, all more recent than ours. They have beaten Florida before and have a history of scaring the **** out of helmet schools. Find a way to be happy we won.

The sky is not falling folks. At least not after these first three VICTORIES. Ask Florida State fans if they would rather be us right now. Ask them if they’d rather have Fleck than Taggert. We are 3-0 with some issues we need to clean up, I’ll give you that. But does anyone remember or care that we almost lost to Fresno last year? No, they don’t. And no one will care about these 3 scores if we do what we are capable of in the coming weeks. The next game is a huge one. I’ll worry about our direction after I see the score of that game. Until then, we are UNDEFEATED and have beaten 3 solid programs.

This [emoji3516]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The time out usage is getting really old.

Last year I was patient with it because kids are learning, but at this point, the need to use them all so frequently just looks like we have too many guys not knowing what to do in certain situations.
There will be games when we desperately need timeouts in the final minute of play. We could have used one versus GS. Wasting our last time out on the two point conversion (we still need a touchdown, whether conversion succeeds or fails) was bad. Not as bad as the 4th and 1 decision in our territory, but still bad. Our team played tough; the coaches need to "change their best."

3-0.

How awful for you.

It’s alright you can still hate PJ. They will lose a few times this season. That will cheer you up.

If the coaching and management continues to be as poor as it has been the last three games they’ll lose more than a few times when we start playing BIG teams. Also, I don’t think it’s wrong to question your team or the coach- we all support the team but the coaching staff makes a lot of money and should be held accountable when they make decisions a Pop Warner coach know not to make.

Bottom line: on a day where so manyB1G teams struggled and a bunch lost, Gophers found a way to pull it out against a team of reasonable quality. Others didn’t.

You take solace in us needing last second heroics, thanks in part to subpar coaching, because Illinois lost to a MAC team and Maryland lost to a decent G5 team?

So the Gophers probably aren’t as good as you thought or hoped they would be.

Look at this way. If they can get 3 more wins they go bowling. What’s wrong with that?

As a wise many once said “Enjoy the season”. Get over the head coach. He ain’t going anywhere.

You think that going 6-6 again is satisfactory? Way to keep the bar for success low.

Don’t walk PJ to go anywhere but doesn’t mean he’s immune from being critiqued- get over it.

Don’t worry Spoofin you still complain and take you shots at the head coach for not playing the way you want them to these first 3 games.

Did they play the way you wanted? Your defensiveness is astounding

This program has been irrelevant for 50 years. The bar is that incredibly low.

There are people on this board that absolutely want Fleck to fail. Of course it’s not everyone who criticizes him that wants that.

And if they only win 6 games go ahead and the give the coaches whatever grade you want. It’s meaningless.

I think most people in this board wish you were their boss since you seem to think mediocre is just fine. How do you plan to become relevant?

Does a loss automatically give you a D?

Any win by definition gets you a B. B is distinctly above average.

C is average, which is a tie. Can't have that, so Fleck gets a B.

I didn't define what grades represent, so there's no argument here. If you don't like facts, come up with a better "scoring system" for coaches. A win is a win. Every time.

Last edited:

So does OP prefer Maryland’s report card through 3 games? I’m guessing you’d give them two As and an F. You’d give us an F and two other grades of C or less?

Let's not go for 4th and short inside Gopher territory unless it is required to win game from now on. No sense giving underdog extra snaps.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

So does OP prefer Maryland’s report card through 3 games? I’m guessing you’d give them two As and an F. You’d give us an F and two other grades of C or less?

I think I gave the team a B+ for SDSU. I don’t think we graded the coaching staff for that game, and I don’t remember grading the Fresno game. I’ll give the players a B for the GSU win. The F is for Fleck for the 4th down play in the first half. I’m usually pretty generous, tbh.

I don’t grade Maryland’s games.

Last edited:

And spends the winter trying to get pitino fired.

It's funny because Flecks conference winning percentage is about nine percent worse than Pitinos. Fleck will need a winning conference record to match, six wins to pass

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Temple might be a bad example, but EMU is not clearly better than GaSo.

The main point is that they are all teams the Gophers are quite capable of beating who went on to beat teams considered better than them.

People need to take a deep breath and relax a bit. I expect issues to get cleaned up as time goes on. We aren't done seeing the type of play we saw at the end of last year.
Nobody thinks Illinois is better than us besides a computer algorithm that Bison fans hold as gospel due to an inferiority complex

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I’d give Fleck a D.

Are we all happy now?

I am a firm believer that a win is a win is a win. If they can clean up the mistakes and improve o-line play they will be a very good team. If not, it's going to be a rough year. It's as simple as that. It's college football - big turnarounds can happen (see last year). Hopefully they get it figured out sooner than later

PJ clearly needs some help with clock (timeout) management though. It's been that way for 3 years so I am not sure that will improve suddenly.

Correct and really sad. It's the one issue he has control over.

Any win by definition gets you a B. B is distinctly above average.

C is average, which is a tie. Can't have that, so Fleck gets a B.

I didn't define what grades represent, so there's no argument here. If you don't like facts, come up with a better "scoring system" for coaches. A win is a win. Every time.

All I was doing was trying to understand your system. A win has to be an A or B, a tie would be a C but (as you pointed out) a tie cant happen, so no one gets a C, and a loss would be a D or F. Do I have that right? Not suggesting there is anything wrong with that system. I like its symmetry.

Cards on the table, my system is A through C for a win, C through F for a loss. I figure a win cant be worse than a C, and a loss cant be better than a C. So I think our systems are very similar. I gave this game a C, because C is the lowest grade I give a win, and I think narrowly escaping with win at home against an opponent this weak is about as bad as we can look in a game we win. Not a D or F, because we did win, and that's what really counts.

Top Bottom