No diaper bags?

bleedsmaroonandgold

Reaction score
Today is going to be BMG Jr's first in person gopher game. Went online to check if there were any special procedures we needed to comply with for the diaper bag. Turns out, diaper bags are explicitly prohibited. Is the athletic department consciously trying to keep families away from the stadium? I'd love to hear Coyle's rationale for this, especially since the Twins have somehow discovered the magical key to allowing diaper bags at Target Field while still keeping fans safe. Very disheartened.

Other than the Twins new policy, this is pretty standard fare everywhere. We have three kids (4, 2, and 2 months), and they have all been to every home game since born. While you have to use an approved clear bag, if you have a kid in tow, security is generally pretty accommodating (we’ll bring in “banned” items such as snacks, etc). While annoying, I’ve gotten used to it and generally doesn’t bother me anymore.

The one that got me is the first game they wouldn’t let me bring in an empty nalgene water bottle. Made me get rid of it at security. I emailed customer service, and more or less got a big F you. So this week I have to hide an empty water bottle in a blanket.

The approved, clear plastic bags with straps can serve this function. Admittedly it will be a tight fit for everything that is needed to provide Jr's comfort. The one caveat is these are a high selling item early in the season. They do run out.

Put the stuff in a clear bag and be prepared to empty contents at the gate. The UM used to hand out clear bags prior to game time.

Lots of parents bring their infants/toddlers to the games so there must be a way to bring diaper bag contents with.

"TCF Bank Stadium has a Clear Bag Policy enforced for all events. The only bags allowed in are clear plastic, vinyl, or tote bags that do not exceed 12” x 6” x 12”, 1 gallon re-sealable clear plastic bags and/or small clutch purses that DO NOT exceed 4.5” x 6.5”

There may be some workarounds, but I dont feel like the department's position should be to make fans work harder to figure out how to come to games. What magic have the Twins discovered that Coyle cant figure out?

There may be some workarounds, but I dont feel like the department's position should be to make fans work harder to figure out how to come to games. What magic have the Twins discovered that Coyle cant figure out?

The U bag check is pointless. We’ve accidentally brought full beers in the stadium after tailgating and they don’t even notice them. Waste of everyone’s time

The bag policy has been around for years now and is common place at a lot of stadiums. We have been taking our son since he was 4 weeks old to games at TCF using the clear bag. It isn't a problem and it isn't hard to use a clear bag.

The bag policy has been around for years now and is common place at a lot of stadiums. We have been taking our son since he was 4 weeks old to games at TCF using the clear bag. It isn't a problem and it isn't hard to use a clear bag.

Guess the Twins just care more about their fans.

At the moment, I dont own a clear tote bag. So, at a minimum, I need to find one and purchase it. The Gophs should not be looking for way to make fans do more work to attend games.

Last edited:

Guess the Twins just care more about their fans.

At the moment, I dont own a clear tote bag. So, at a minimum, I need to find one and purchase it. The Gophs should not be looking for way to make fans do more work to attend games.

They sent out clear bags to the season ticket holders. The loons did the same thing since they played at TCF and also have the same policy at their new stadium. There is nothing hard about packing your kids supplies in a clear bag. You can use freezer bags from home. I'm surprised you've made it this far without needing one of those clear bags, they are common place. I'd just buy one and be done with it. You can order them off amazon too. The twins also changed their policy just this year FYI. I use to bike to a lot of twins games because I could bring my biking back pack in. I can no longer do that but I'm not complaining, the twins are kind of far behind on the bag policy stuff.

I would just continue to bitch about it and not prepare. Probably will work.

I understand the b!tching the first season of the change. But seriously how many years has it been? Bag restrictions are the norm not only at sporting events but everywhere now. I get a chuckle out of people who act like this policy came out of no where and it's a huge inconvenience. There are tons of kids at every gopher game, must not be that hard.

I understand the b!tching the first season of the change. But seriously how many years has it been? Bag restrictions are the norm not only at sporting events but everywhere now. I get a chuckle out of people who act like this policy came out of no where and it's a huge inconvenience. There are tons of kids at every gopher game, must not be that hard.

To be fair for BleedsM&G having a new baby introduces a lot of firsts. I did not ever think about a diaper bag until leaving the hospital with Billd-Kid #1.

At least he was thinking before arriving as opposed to the very many seen over the years learning about the bag policy for the first time at the gate trying to go in.

Agree that hard not to know these post-9/11 and nutjob policies by now. My sympathy meter has dropped however over time for these individuals for sure.

I looked up the policy, and am taking the steps I need to in order to comply with it. I dont know what additional preparation i should be doing. That doesnt change my opinion that it is a stupid and unnecessary policy that adds a minor (but not insurmoumtable) additional set of steps I need to take as a paying customer.

I looked up the policy, and am taking the steps I need to in order to comply with it. I dont know what additional preparation i should be doing. That doesnt change my opinion that it is a stupid and unnecessary policy that adds a minor (but not insurmoumtable) additional set of steps I need to take as a paying customer.

It adds zero steps to my preparation. Pack his stuff in one of our clear bags (we have amassed so many free ones now) rather than one of our diaper bags (my wife and I have separate ones because I wanted one a certain way and didn't want her screwing it up constantly..). I guess this 1 time you have the added step of obtaining a clear bag. That's one step.

And with respect to the "stop complaining about things you dont like about the gameday experience" argument, it's clear from the attendance numbers that our athletic department has taken that stance on plenty of issues.

And with respect to the "stop complaining about things you dont like about the gameday experience" argument, it's clear from the attendance numbers that our athletic department has taken that stance on plenty of issues.

Sure. Is this really the straw that broke your back? A fairly standard policy in stadiums and other events across the country? A policy that was changed years (years!) ago?

My daughter and hubby don't want to go to live games anymore. At least for a while. It became so much of a hassle lugging around the three young boys who have lots of energy to burn.

They instead will watch the Gophers on large screen TV at home with some neighborhood friends and their kids. They will have a barbecue on their deck going. Beer is just a reach to the cooler.

They set up all sorts of games in their large backyard for the kids.

When the kids are older not requiring a diaper bag and stroller, they may reconsider.

Hopefully, the U will find a way to lower overall food and entertainment costs of attending live games for young families. Don't the Twins sometimes have family days with food and drinks included?

The Digital Age is transforming college football attendance. If College Football cannot find a way to get families with young kids hooked on watching live football, they will lose young generations of fans.

Last edited:

Sure. Is this really the straw that broke your back? A fairly standard policy in stadiums and other events across the country? A policy that was changed years (years!) ago?

My back isnt broken, i just got to campus and am about to start tailgating. But looking at the attendance data, there have been lots of straws that have broken lots of other backs.

No one has given me a good answer why the Twins are able to do it differently. Is it that they care more about their fans? Or that they care so little about their fans they are willing to recklessly expose the entire stadium to the risk of diaper bags?

My back isnt broken, i just got to campus and am about to start tailgating. But looking at the attendance data, there have been lots of straws that have broken lots of other backs.

No one has given me a good answer why the Twins are able to do it differently. Is it that they care more about their fans? Or that they care so little about their fans they are willing to recklessly expose the entire stadium to the risk of diaper bags?

I waited in line for over a hour just to get into Target Field thanks to their bag policy. Not exactly a flawless operation.

Get several of the clear bags. You and any other ticketed person with you can bring a bag. You can buy them at Goldy's.

The twins changed their bag policy just this year... I already said that. I use to take my backpack into twins games and now can't. I no longer bike to twins games.

I hope you enjoy the game. I know I will. Not bringing the kid today though due to nap time. Baby sitters are the best. ;)

The twins changed their bag policy just this year... I already said that. I use to take my backpack into twins games and now can't. I no longer bike to twins games.

I hope you enjoy the game. I know I will. Not bringing the kid today though due to nap time. Baby sitters are the best. ;)
You can take a backpack to twins games, but has to be the drawstring kind. Not sure if that works for your situation though.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

You can take a backpack to twins games, but has to be the drawstring kind. Not sure if that works for your situation though.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Nope, that's what I"m saying. They changed their policy this year too. bleed seems to think the twins don't have bag restrictions. Every stadium does, its part of attending events. Luckily bleed was smart and looked up the regs before he went so his day isn't ruined at the gate. He's smarter than a lot of people.

I waited in line for over a hour just to get into Target Field thanks to their bag policy. Not exactly a flawless operation.

Was that early in the year? It hasn't been like that at all for me since June. In fact, I have had basically zero line for the 5 most recent games I've been to.

Nope, that's what I"m saying. They changed their policy this year too. bleed seems to think the twins don't have bag restrictions. Every stadium does, its part of attending events. Luckily bleed was smart and looked up the regs before he went so his day isn't ruined at the gate. He's smarter than a lot of people.

Do you mean "nope" it doesn't work for your situation? Or are you saying they don't allow drawstrings? I've been using a large drawstring all season. Fits quite a bit of stuff.

Do you mean "nope" it doesn't work for your situation? Or are you saying they don't allow drawstrings? I've been using a large drawstring all season. Fits quite a bit of stuff.

Correct.

Was that early in the year? It hasn't been like that at all for me since June. In fact, I have had basically zero line for the 5 most recent games I've been to.

Memorial weekend. I realize that was the worst possible time and they were horribly understaffed, but we'd have gotten in much quicker without a bag.

Some teams require a ticket for your baby, so not the worst in terms of family friendliness. Twins are head and shoulders the best in terms of family friendliness - allows food, mother’s rooms, etc.

Top Bottom