Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No diaper bags?

Default No diaper bags?

Today is going to be BMG Jr's first in person gopher game. Went online to check if there were any special procedures we needed to comply with for the diaper bag. Turns out, diaper bags are explicitly prohibited. Is the athletic department consciously trying to keep families away from the stadium? I'd love to hear Coyle's rationale for this, especially since the Twins have somehow discovered the magical key to allowing diaper bags at Target Field while still keeping fans safe. Very disheartened.

Other than the Twins new policy, this is pretty standard fare everywhere. We have three kids (4, 2, and 2 months), and they have all been to every home game since born. While you have to use an approved clear bag, if you have a kid in tow, security is generally pretty accommodating (we’ll bring in “banned” items such as snacks, etc). While annoying, I’ve gotten used to it and generally doesn’t bother me anymore.

The one that got me is the first game they wouldn’t let me bring in an empty nalgene water bottle. Made me get rid of it at security. I emailed customer service, and more or less got a big F you. So this week I have to hide an empty water bottle in a blanket.

The approved, clear plastic bags with straps can serve this function. Admittedly it will be a tight fit for everything that is needed to provide Jr's comfort. The one caveat is these are a high selling item early in the season. They do run out.
    Row The Boat & Ski U Mah!

In Fleck We Trust!

Put the stuff in a clear bag and be prepared to empty contents at the gate. The UM used to hand out clear bags prior to game time.

Lots of parents bring their infants/toddlers to the games so there must be a way to bring diaper bag contents with.

"TCF Bank Stadium has a Clear Bag Policy enforced for all events. The only bags allowed in are clear plastic, vinyl, or tote bags that do not exceed 12” x 6” x 12”, 1 gallon re-sealable clear plastic bags and/or small clutch purses that DO NOT exceed 4.5” x 6.5”

There may be some workarounds, but I dont feel like the department's position should be to make fans work harder to figure out how to come to games. What magic have the Twins discovered that Coyle cant figure out?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    There may be some workarounds, but I dont feel like the department's position should be to make fans work harder to figure out how to come to games. What magic have the Twins discovered that Coyle cant figure out?
    The U bag check is pointless. We’ve accidentally brought full beers in the stadium after tailgating and they don’t even notice them. Waste of everyone’s time

The bag policy has been around for years now and is common place at a lot of stadiums. We have been taking our son since he was 4 weeks old to games at TCF using the clear bag. It isn't a problem and it isn't hard to use a clear bag.

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    The bag policy has been around for years now and is common place at a lot of stadiums. We have been taking our son since he was 4 weeks old to games at TCF using the clear bag. It isn't a problem and it isn't hard to use a clear bag.
    Guess the Twins just care more about their fans.

At the moment, I dont own a clear tote bag. So, at a minimum, I need to find one and purchase it. The Gophs should not be looking for way to make fans do more work to attend games.
    Last edited by bleedsmaroonandgold; 09-14-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Guess the Twins just care more about their fans.

At the moment, I dont own a clear tote bag. So, at a minimum, I need to find one and purchase it. The Gophs should not be looking for way to make fans do more work to attend games.
    They sent out clear bags to the season ticket holders. The loons did the same thing since they played at TCF and also have the same policy at their new stadium. There is nothing hard about packing your kids supplies in a clear bag. You can use freezer bags from home. I'm surprised you've made it this far without needing one of those clear bags, they are common place. I'd just buy one and be done with it. You can order them off amazon too. The twins also changed their policy just this year FYI. I use to bike to a lot of twins games because I could bring my biking back pack in. I can no longer do that but I'm not complaining, the twins are kind of far behind on the bag policy stuff.

I would just continue to bitch about it and not prepare. Probably will work.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    I understand the b!tching the first season of the change. But seriously how many years has it been? Bag restrictions are the norm not only at sporting events but everywhere now. I get a chuckle out of people who act like this policy came out of no where and it's a huge inconvenience. There are tons of kids at every gopher game, must not be that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    I understand the b!tching the first season of the change. But seriously how many years has it been? Bag restrictions are the norm not only at sporting events but everywhere now. I get a chuckle out of people who act like this policy came out of no where and it's a huge inconvenience. There are tons of kids at every gopher game, must not be that hard.
    To be fair for BleedsM&G having a new baby introduces a lot of firsts. I did not ever think about a diaper bag until leaving the hospital with Billd-Kid #1.

At least he was thinking before arriving as opposed to the very many seen over the years learning about the bag policy for the first time at the gate trying to go in.

Agree that hard not to know these post-9/11 and nutjob policies by now. My sympathy meter has dropped however over time for these individuals for sure.
    Row The Boat & Ski U Mah!

In Fleck We Trust!

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    I looked up the policy, and am taking the steps I need to in order to comply with it. I dont know what additional preparation i should be doing. That doesnt change my opinion that it is a stupid and unnecessary policy that adds a minor (but not insurmoumtable) additional set of steps I need to take as a paying customer.

I looked up the policy, and am taking the steps I need to in order to comply with it. I dont know what additional preparation i should be doing. That doesnt change my opinion that it is a stupid and unnecessary policy that adds a minor (but not insurmoumtable) additional set of steps I need to take as a paying customer.
    It adds zero steps to my preparation. Pack his stuff in one of our clear bags (we have amassed so many free ones now) rather than one of our diaper bags (my wife and I have separate ones because I wanted one a certain way and didn't want her screwing it up constantly..). I guess this 1 time you have the added step of obtaining a clear bag. That's one step.

And with respect to the "stop complaining about things you dont like about the gameday experience" argument, it's clear from the attendance numbers that our athletic department has taken that stance on plenty of issues.