GSU team fllight delayed but are now headed your way!

Thanks GSU. I could sense it and I I think I saw the GSU plane make a lunar eclipse over the harvest moon. Fare they well.

I think they stopped in Memphis to pick up some whisky.

I heard they had to clean a bunch of bird sh*t off the windshield of the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had a bird strike with an eagle. An ominous omen.

Doesn't the U usually charter with Sun Country? Surprised to see this as Allegiant. Not sure I would want to fly that company, after some things I've read about them accused of cheaping out on maintenance!

Doesn't the U usually charter with Sun Country? Surprised to see this as Allegiant. Not sure I would want to fly that company, after some things I've read about them accused of cheaping out on maintenance!

Allegiant is probably all we can swing. We don’t have that Delta basic economy cash.

One of the best GS Football quotes of all time sums us up...

“At Georgia Southern, we don’t cheat. That takes money and we don’t have any.”
- Erk Russell

Allegiant is probably all we can swing. We don’t have that Delta basic economy cash.

One of the best GS Football quotes of all time sums us up...

“At Georgia Southern, we don’t cheat. That takes money and we don’t have any.”
- Erk Russell

I think usually when it's a guarantee game (one-off money game), it's in the contract for the home team to take care of the charter flight, hotel, etc? So that's why I was wondering.

Sun Country is now owned by private equity and I recently heard via “channels” one of the many changes over the last few years is the usual low hanging fruit cost-cutting strategy of farming out maintenance to the lowest bidder. Someone closer to the situation can comment about what’s going on with SC but rule of thumb is nothing good for employees/consumers comes from PE ownership.

Always good to know that the people responsible for keeping several hundred tons in the air and moving at hundreds of miles per hour are also the people that look at that gravity-defying feat and claim that they can do it with fewer bolts and switches and overall manpower.

Always good to know that the people responsible for keeping several hundred tons in the air and moving at hundreds of miles per hour are also the people that look at that gravity-defying feat and claim that they can do it with fewer bolts and switches and overall manpower.

Jude Bricker, Sun Country CEO was formerly at Allegiant. They are well known for stretching airframes past their prime, questionable maintenance intervals with low bid maintenance contractors, etc. 60 minutes did a hit piece awhile back but this time is probably fair. Even Boeing has fallen victim over the last decade to short sighted management. My family flies on these planes, and many people book on low cost airlines - would like to see them arrive in one piece. This isn’t a place for the parasite class to manage costs excessively.

Jude Bricker, Sun Country CEO was formerly at Allegiant. They are well known for stretching airframes past their prime, questionable maintenance intervals with low bid maintenance contractors, etc. 60 minutes did a hit piece awhile back but this time is probably fair. Even Boeing has fallen victim over the last decade to short sighted management. My family flies on these planes, and many people book on low cost airlines - would like to see them arrive in one piece. This isn’t a place for the parasite class to manage costs excessively.

I understand your point.
You pay less for a service, quality might suffer.

But whatever the threshold is for minimum maintenance required by law (or by whatever), it seems to have been adequate enough for planes to keep flying to keep air transportation relatively safe.

Is there any statistics that show lower priced airlines suffer from more mechanical problems or could they be running more efficiently?

I understand your point.
You pay less for a service, quality might suffer.

But whatever the threshold is for minimum maintenance required by law (or by whatever), it seems to have been adequate enough for planes to keep flying to keep air transportation relatively safe.

Is there any statistics that show lower priced airlines suffer from more mechanical problems or could they be running more efficiently?

The pilot-reported incident reports are not easy to come but 60 Minutes did dig into it through a freedom of information request. Allegiant refused to allow viewing of the documents but the FAA did produce them and turns out Allegiant was multiples higher than other carriers. Part of it is flying older planes, but the interviews in the piece indicate most of it is a culture issue downplaying maintenance and a lack of expertise or attention at the maintenance contractors.

Do you want a mechanic working on your plane who is heavily pressured to hit time targets, to keep planes on a razor thin low cost carrier schedule? Personally I prefer fat and happy experience vs the low paid, disgruntled, tired, overworked that inevitably erodes attention to detail or never had it in the first place. This is not a phenomenon limited to low cost airlines but the results can be more spectacular when the stars align.

You can read the story here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/allegiant-air-the-budget-airline-flying-under-the-radar/

I will never ever fly on a tired low employee morale bargain airline again. Sooner or later the maintenance or the lack of it will catch up with them.

Unfortunately, some people have to die in an airplane crash first before serious attention is given. I will bet that these people running these airlines heavily lobbied our impotent Congress. The people responsible at the top for skimping on maintenance and cost cutting will not be the one to bear the brunt of blame.

Football teams better keep and eye for their own safety. The cost savings of low frill flight vs safety is not worth it.

Remember the airplane crash that killed members of Marshall University football team? Although this was due to pilot error, flying on an airline at a minimal safety margin is scary. Airplane travel is still a lot safer than other modes of transportation.

Last edited:

The pilot-reported incident reports are not easy to come but 60 Minutes did dig into it through a freedom of information request. Allegiant refused to allow viewing of the documents but the FAA did produce them and turns out Allegiant was multiples higher than other carriers. Part of it is flying older planes, but the interviews in the piece indicate most of it is a culture issue downplaying maintenance and a lack of expertise or attention at the maintenance contractors.

Do you want a mechanic working on your plane who is heavily pressured to hit time targets, to keep planes on a razor thin low cost carrier schedule? Personally I prefer fat and happy experience vs the low paid, disgruntled, tired, overworked that inevitably erodes attention to detail or never had it in the first place. This is not a phenomenon limited to low cost airlines but the results can be more spectacular when the stars align.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/allegiant-air-the-budget-airline-flying-under-the-radar/

Thanks.
That's interesting.

Although if I'm flying and I die, it's probably one of the better ways to go.

I will never ever fly on a tired low employee morale bargain airline again. Sooner or later the maintenance or the lack of it will catch up with them.

Unfortunately, some people have to die in an airplane crash first before serious attention is given. I will bet that these people running these airlines heavily lobbied our impotent Congress. The people responsible at the top for skimping on maintenance and cost cutting will not be the one to bear the brunt of blame.

Football teams better keep and eye for their own safety. The cost savings of low frill flight vs safety is not worth it.

Remember the airplane crash that killed members of Marshall University football team? Although this was due to pilot error, flying on an airline at a minimal safety margin is scary. Airplane travel is still a lot safer than other modes of transportation.

Flying in the US is very safe.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/13/col...407 crashed,safety regulations for air travel.

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/air...te numbers, driving is,air travel to be safer.

Sun Country has one of the top PRIVATE charter sales businesses going. They average on a Saturday 15-18 D-1 football teams flying. Just flew the Women’s US soccer team from NYC to the ESPY’s.

Have flown the NCAA hoop champ home three years in a row including both Duke and Wisconsin when Duke/Tyus won it. Fly FOX for the World Series. Fly Arizona hoops, Michigan St, Creighton the list is endless. Plus they many of the local Fortune 500 companies who need a charter.

The list of private charter clients is amazing schools from all Power 5 conferences have flown them.

Thanks.
That's interesting.

Although if I'm flying and I die, it's probably one of the better ways to go.
Ok you do that. I'll fly Delta.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Booking all my flights directly with Delta is my preference.

SAD, funny but true!

Scary, I wanted Charlotte to fly al Allegiant out of Florida to Omaha. I was also considering we both fly Allegiant when we go back and forth to her family in Omaha NB. Her father is 93 years old and almost all her family lives in Omaha or within 40 miles from the city. When we both go I usually drive so that we can have a car there. She just flew out last week & flew Delta and had the sky miles to do so. I knew that Allegiant was a no frills carrier, but I guess I will be driving here back and forth. I hate the 22 hour drive though.

Top Bottom