Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Speeding up the game thoughts

I know there has been considerable deliberation on how to speed up the game over the years. With TV controlling so much now and its importance, I don't see much being done there, but here's an idea...

Stopping the clock after every incomplete pass is and has been an important part if the game for a long long time. Problem is with offenses passing more and more in the modern game, the clock stops more and more frequently. And it's always stopped until the ball snaps at the next play.

My idea would be to stop the game clock for only a set period of time before the game clock would start again...say 10 or 15 seconds max. The play clock would continue as it is now, but I believe this would be a great change. Games should be shortened and strategies would be changed as well...

Thoughts??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Every time this subject comes up, it reminds me of how much I detest that red hat guy. Nobody is asking how to to speed up games at the D3 or D2 levels and they play by the same rules. The problem is the ridiculous amount of TV commercials and promotions.

Every time I hear someone suggest "solutions" that involve getting rid of clock stoppage after first downs, a little part of my soul dies. Basically, that is an argument for less football in favor of a higher percentage of advertising - and that makes my head explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Every time this subject comes up, it reminds me of how much I detest that red hat guy. Nobody is asking how to to speed up games at the D3 or D2 levels and they play by the same rules. The problem is the ridiculous amount of TV commercials and promotions.

Every time I hear someone suggest "solutions" that involve getting rid of clock stoppage after first downs, a little part of my soul dies. Basically, that is an argument for less football in favor of a higher percentage of advertising - and that makes my head explode.
    You said it better than I could, so I'll just say, ditto.

Yes. Thank you.

With football, you're only talking about once a week.

So if you're blocking off three hours of your day to watch a game, what's four hours?? Then I don't see why there's a pressing need to cut the average length of a game down from 3.75 hours to 3.4 hours, for example.

MLB on the other hand ...

Bingo!

I was watching a game with a friend who happens to be a far more casual football fan than I am. At some point, during one of the many, many commercials, he asked, "How can you enjoy these games with all these commercials? They're obnoxious!"

He's right. I even program my remote to click back and forth between other channels in an attempt to avoid them, but it's impossible.

Add to that the new "split screen" commercials, where half the screen is the game and half is a commercial. Yuck.

Now someone will lecture me on exactly how capitalism works, and tell me if I don't like it I should stop watching...
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

I used to channel surf when commercials came on, but with streaming the channels load more slowly, and nowadays the commercial breaks are all almost exactly synced up across channels.

Pretty much why I don't watch live TV anymore, except for sports where I have no other option if I want to see it live. If I don't care about live, I will absolutely go to the chopped-up YouTube version that someone inevitably posts.

Dome games when the game wasn't on TV... were like the most smooth and flowing games. It just felt natural and way different.

Well said. Shortening the game in baseball comes up because the things that extend the game are taking place on the field and therefore can be managed potentially (pitching changes, time between pitches, batters stepping out of the box....).

In football it is all about the length and frequency of the TV timeouts. Don't think this has become common in college but I hate how in the NFL you have the extra point - tv timeout - kickoff - tv timeout - next series. Football doesn't need to make on the field changes to shorten the games and it is sad that the current reality is that if we did want to shorten the games the only way to do it would be by changing the rules since nobody wants to mess with the all important ad revenue.

First world problems?

Between checking stats, scores, texting friends, posting in Gopherhole the commercial breaks are almost too short...maybe the at game crowd needs some songs to sing soccer-style to break the malaise...or cheap booze so they don’t care.

Blog Entries

To be fair, in my comparison to D2 and D3, I did leave out a couple things: video reviews and extended halftimes for bands to play. It still doesn't change my opinion on keeping the timing rules the same for the actual game play. Do not take football away in favor of other things. The advertising remains the biggest problem with game length. I feel like they have done a decent job reducing the time they are taking to video review plays.

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post

Add to that the new "split screen" commercials, where half the screen is the game and half is a commercial. Yuck.

Now someone will lecture me on exactly how capitalism works, and tell me if I don't like it I should stop watching...
    I really don't think you will get much pushback on this one. Pretty much everyone hates it we just know there is nothing we can do about it so complaining doesn't do any good.

As to the split screen commercials, I would be all for it if it meant shorter other breaks but unfortunately it is just another way to advertise. 100% a function of the huge wide screen TV's because they know they can reduce the size of the picture for a short time and for a huge portion of their audience it won't drastically harm the viewing experience. If you tried something like that on the old CRT TVs people would have gone ballistic.

At the FSU game last weekend I noticed it much more. Probably because I was there in person, but it sucked that every stoppage longer than a few seconds became a TV stoppage (I may be exaggerating, but it sure felt like that)

Would be great to go back to having the 30 timeouts be 30 seconds no matter what, and having the band fill that time with some playing. I remember when I was in the band, they did that randomly and we were caught off guard!

Winding the clock after the ball is set on out of bounds plays and adding the center judge have helped reduce game times.

Game times thus far:

South Dakota State: 2:59 (Just about perfect)

Fresno State: 3:31 (Not bad with the OT)

Quote Originally Posted by Taji34 View Post
    At the FSU game last weekend I noticed it much more. Probably because I was there in person, but it sucked that every stoppage longer than a few seconds became a TV stoppage (I may be exaggerating, but it sure felt like that)

Would be great to go back to having the 30 timeouts be 30 seconds no matter what, and having the band fill that time with some playing. I remember when I was in the band, they did that randomly and we were caught off guard!
    Did they run commercials on the big screen during breaks? I'm assuming they have a big screen at their stadium...
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".