Through 2 Weeks in the B1G West - Here's a fun fact for you

FMofDT

Reaction score
We didn't crush both of our opponents so we must suck right? Time to temper expectations, or maybe not quite yet...

Both of the Gophers wins vs. SDSU and Fresno St. are better than any other win by any other West teams according to the Sagarin Ratings after Week 2. That will change this week, but GSU is going to be in for a world of hurt on Saturday.

Minnesota #39
Fresno #45
SDSU #62

GSU #107

Last edited:

We didn't crush both of our opponents so we must suck right? Time to temper expectations, or maybe not quite yet...

Both of the Gophers wins vs. SDSU and Fresno St. are better than any other win by any other West teams according to the Sagarin Ratings after Week 2. That will change this week, but GSU is going to be in for a world of hurt on Saturday.

Minnesota #39
Fresno #45
SDSU #62

GSU #107

Interesting.

For context, how specifically do Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois stack up in comparison (according to Sagarin)?

Interesting.

For context, how specifically do Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois stack up in comparison (according to Sagarin)?

There are some surprisingly bad early season teams based on those metrics. Small sample size, but still interesting when certain data points help put things into perspective a bit.

Purdue is currently the lowest rated B1G team at #110 followed by Rutgers #106. Purdue's schedule is brutal and their game vs. Minnesota might be the difference between making a bowl and sitting at home. I think they are in big trouble based on key early season injuries and their 2019 schedule.

Wisconsin
S. Florida #82
C. Michigan #117

NW 0-1
L @Stanford #43

Purdue
L! @Nevada #164
Vanderbilt #146

Iowa
Miami OH #98
Rutgers #106

Illinois
Akron #173
UCONN #149

Nebraska
South Alabama #166
L @Colorado #77

Big Ten wins ranked by opponent Sagarin Rankings

Minnesota over Fresno #45

Maryland over Syracuse #55
Mich over Army #57
MSU over Tulsa #60
Minnesota over SDSU #62
MSU over WMU #64

OSU over Cincy #69
OSU over FAU #81

Wisconsin over S. Florida #82
PSU over Buffalo #94
Mich over MTSU #97
Iowa over Miami OH #98

Iowa over Rutgers #106
Ind over Ball St. #116
Wisconsin over C. Michigan #117
Purdue over Vanderbilt #146
Illinois over UCONN #149

Nebraska over South Alabama #166
Illinois over Akron #173
PSU over Idaho #193

Rutgers over UMass #201
Ind over Eastern Ill #223
Maryland over Howard #232

I like these datapoints, for some context! You can always say that Sagarin is biased to this and that, and that there isn't enough data, especially good non-conference matchups, to get a good mixing for a good ranking. But I still like the attempt.

To me, more than anything, it shows that most of the West teams are still an unknown commodity, either because they lost to a relatively high team (NW) or they've only beaten lower teams. I would even throw Purdue into that mix, because their loss to Nevada in the first week seems like a fluke. Losing a star defensive player is a big blow, but we lost Winfield last year and still made it to a bowl. If Brohm has done/is doing is job correctly, with 85 scholarships there should be a lot of talent and depth on the team, we'll see.

Another batch of datapoints, coming up!

Last edited:

FMofDT and Face The Facts: Many thanks to you two for posting this stuff. Really interesting, food for thought.

And yes, it makes me feel much better about the first two games. I'm surprised and happy to see Fresno State and SDSU being the #1 and #5 B1G wins so far... amazing stuff. Especially SDSU!

Well done!

Last edited:

FMofDT and Face The Facts: Many thanks to you two for posting this stuff. Really interesting, food for thought.

And yes, it makes me feel much better about the first two games. I'm surprised and happy to see Fresno State and SDSU being the #1 and #5 B1G wins so far... amazing stuff. Especially SDSU!

Well done!

Agreed!

Well done!

Still early in the season when these predictions are based on last years performance and expectations more than late season. But it is hard to see Fresno going down much as they have basically played the toughest two games on their schedule already.

If they somehow lose again this week and start 0-3 they might freefall down into the 100's.

Minnesota #39
Fresno #45
SDSU #62

GSU #107

I like the idea but I think that Fresno and SDSU are a bit over-inflated right now. I will be interested in how all these teams end up in the Sagarin rankings.

I like the idea but I think that Fresno and SDSU are a bit over-inflated right now. I will be interested in how all these teams end up in the Sagarin rankings.

I don't think they are at all, but only time will tell.

The teams you beat, work for you!

Hopefully SDSU ends up winning the MVFC and the national championship, and Fresno ends up winning the the MW and perhaps in contention for a NY6 bowl (though probably would not get it over American champion).

I think we all know the rankings will move, but if they are in the 60's it sure beats the 180's.

With no further ado... I present to you the BEST-NON-CONFERENCE WINS OF THE ACC!!!

ACC Team(sag) - Opponent (sag)
Clemson(2) defeated Texas A&M (11)
UNC(33) defeated South Carolina (31)
WF(28) defeated Utah St (32)

Pitt(41) defeated Ohio (67)
GT(54) defeated USF (82)
Florida St(40) defeated UL Monroe (95)

NC State(28) defeated East Carolina (113)
WF(38) defeated Rice (131)
Va Tech(56) defeated Old Dom (142)

150 or lower
Virginia(22) defeated William and Mary (157)
Syracuse(55) defeated Liberty (159)
Duke(47) defeated NC A&T (170)
BC(48) defeated Richmond (179)
Louisville(68) defeated Eastern Kentucky (188)
NC State(28) defeated West Carolina (203)

Wake Forest #28 ! Will be interesting to see them come back down to earth ... or perhaps not.

Their current head coach has had some success at a few lower level schools. Three bowl wins at Wake the last three seasons.

Big Ten wins ranked by opponent Sagarin Rankings

Penn St over Pitt #41
Minnesota over Fresno #45
Maryland over Syracuse #55
Mich over Army #57
MSU over Tulsa #60
Minnesota over SDSU #62
MSU over WMU #64

OSU over Cincy #69
OSU over FAU #81

Wisconsin over S. Florida #82
PSU over Buffalo #94
Mich over MTSU #97
Iowa over Miami OH #98

Iowa over Rutgers #106
Minnesota over Ga Southern #107

Ind over Ball St. #116
Wisconsin over C. Michigan #117
NW over UNLV #118
Purdue over Vanderbilt #146
Illinois over UCONN #149

Nebraska over South Alabama #166
Illinois over Akron #173
PSU over Idaho #193

Rutgers over UMass #201
Ind over Eastern Ill #223
Maryland over Howard #232

Games still in motion, and Penn St beats #41 Pitt (current ranking).
But Minnesota is now proud owner of the 2nd, 6th and 15th best non-conference wins in the Big Ten!

Top Bottom