Big Ten Non-Conference SOS Rank (based on last year's final NET rankings)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Illinois will add one more game (Nov. 26), and the Gophers are expected to add one, possibly two more. As things stand right now, with the other 12 teams' non-conference schedules completed, here's where Big Ten non-conference schedules rank nationally:

Gophers 112.444 (likely to add one more)
2 Purdue 113.3
24 Michigan State 137.777
47 Michigan 151.555
64 Ohio State 162.181
66 Wisconsin 163.2
73 Indiana 165.454
80 Iowa 169.1
Illinois 171.3 (will add one more)
100 Maryland 175.333
106 Penn State 176.5
158 Northwestern 194.444
215 Nebraska 217.444
242 Rutgers 228.09

For the record, as a general rule I think a Big Ten team whose non-conference opponents have an average NET ranking in the neighborhood of 150-155 have scheduled really well.

Last edited:

What is our average right now without the other teams?

Pitino gets "A" grade for scheduling this season

What is our average right now without the other teams?

The number listed for both the Gophers and Illinois is the current average. Obviously, if the Gophers add another game I would guess it's likely to be an opponent at least in the 200s.

If the Gophers stand pat with their schedule (doubtful), I feel pretty comfortable saying they'll have one of the top 5 overall AND non-conference schedules in the country (based on average NET ranking of opponents). And even if they add a bad opponent they're still gonna' be way up there.

That's new territory for us. Pitino gets an "A" grade from me for the non-conference schedule this year. 6 of 11 major-conference opponents (2 at home) -- even if they're not the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world -- is impressive. And he's doing that in what most people view as a rebuilding season.

Here's how it looks from best (NET) to worst. I'd peg both Oklahoma schools as NCAA Tournament teams this coming season, and I don't think Butler should be counted out. And don't sleep on DePaul. Blue Demons making strides and have talent.

#32 Oklahoma (N)
#45 Clemson (H)
#66 Butler (A)
#72 Oklahoma State (N)
#97 Utah (A)
#109 DePaul (H)
#122 Central Michigan (H)
#186 FIU (H)
#283 Cleveland State (H)

Last edited:

The number listed for both the Gophers and Illinois is the current average. Obviously, if the Gophers add another game I would guess it's likely to be an opponent at least in the 200s.

If the Gophers stand pat with their schedule (doubtful), I feel pretty comfortable saying they'll have one of the top 5 overall AND non-conference schedules in the country (based on average NET ranking of opponents). And even if they add a bad opponent they're still gonna' be way up there.

That's new territory for us. Pitino gets an "A" grade from me for the non-conference schedule this year. 6 of 11 major-conference opponents (2 at home) -- even if they're not the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world -- is impressive. And he's doing that in what most people view as a rebuilding season.

Here's how it looks from best (NET) to worst. I'd peg both Oklahoma schools as NCAA Tournament teams this coming season, and I don't think Butler should be counted out. And don't sleep on DePaul. Blue Demons making strides and have talent.

#32 Oklahoma (N)
#45 Clemson (H)
#66 Butler (A)
#72 Oklahoma State (N)
#97 Utah (A)
#109 DePaul (H)
#122 Central Michigan (H)
#186 FIU (H)
#283 Cleveland State (H)

So, SS, let's get out of your comfort zone. What do you think the reason for the substantially improved schedule is?

Are the assistants working on the schedule doing a better job?

Has Pitino responded to to season ticket holders laments about home scheduling?

On paper, it seems odd that the schedule upgrade comes in this season with all the question marks on the team. Of any recent year, this would seem to be the one to add in "confidence builders" especially early. Do you think Pitino is just really confident in the team hitting the floor this year and it's a good for them to be tested? I'll never forget a quote Belien from early years at Michigan, "You can schedule yourself out of the NCAA Tournament by having too difficult a non-conference schedule."

I like the non con schedule as a fan, but I'm worried that more than they can chew has been bitten off with all the question marks on this team heading into the season.

So, SS, let's get out of your comfort zone. What do you think the reason for the substantially improved schedule is?

Are the assistants working on the schedule doing a better job?

Has Pitino responded to to season ticket holders laments about home scheduling?

On paper, it seems odd that the schedule upgrade comes in this season with all the question marks on the team. Of any recent year, this would seem to be the one to add in "confidence builders" especially early. Do you think Pitino is just really confident in the team hitting the floor this year and it's a good for them to be tested? I'll never forget a quote Belien from early years at Michigan, "You can schedule yourself out of the NCAA Tournament by having too difficult a non-conference schedule."

I like the non con schedule as a fan, but I'm worried that more than they can chew has been bitten off with all the question marks on this team heading into the season.

Overall, I think Pitino has scheduled well, and smartly, as the Gophers head coach. My general feeling is EVERY SEASON they should have 5 or 6 games vs. major conference/notable opponents. This year we've done that. The thought should be, win at least 2 or 3 of your "tough" games (this year it's 3), win the rest, and you're no worse than 8-3 outside the Big Ten having played a good non-conference schedule. 8-3 with this schedule + 10-10 in the Big Ten and I'm pretty confident an at-large bid would be forthcoming.

Me, personally? I'd much rather miss the tournament having played a tough non-conference schedule than missing it because you pretty much played a bunch of total bottom-feeders (see NC State last season). But that's just me.

I do think Pitino heard us about the non-conference home schedule. Some people will poo-poo DePaul, that's their right, but 2 major conference opponents is never a bad thing.

Having a Gavitt game helped too.

Overall, I think Pitino has scheduled well, and smartly, as the Gophers head coach. My general feeling is EVERY SEASON they should have 5 or 6 games vs. major conference/notable opponents. This year we've done that. The thought should be, win at least 2 or 3 of your "tough" games (this year it's 3), win the rest, and you're no worse than 8-3 outside the Big Ten having played a good non-conference schedule. 8-3 with this schedule + 10-10 in the Big Ten and I'm pretty confident an at-large bid would be forthcoming.

Me, personally? I'd much rather miss the tournament having played a tough non-conference schedule than missing it because you pretty much played a bunch of total bottom-feeders (see NC State last season). But that's just me.

I do think Pitino heard us about the non-conference home schedule. Some people will poo-poo DePaul, that's their right, but 2 major conference opponents is never a bad thing.

I think it also shows a little quiet confidence in his 19-20 squad. I don't think he would schedule this way if he didn't think his team could compete.

Top Bottom