College GameDay

We should start talking about this. 8-0 is very real. Penn St will be 8-0 as well.

I can't go there yet (8-0) in my head. I still have recurring nightmares about Maryland running all-over-the-Gophers last year. Maryland will be a test as long as their offensive skills players are healthy.

May wanna rehash that list with today’s results now

I don’t think much changes.

9 - WI@OSU
10- FL/GA
11- LSU@AL (1v2)
12- OK@Baylor or GA@Aub
13- PSU@OSU ... maybe TX@Baylor or OR@ASU
14- AL@Aub, or OSU@MI ... maybe WI@MN

PSU has Michigan at home and away against PSU. Their road to 8 - 0 is somewhat more difficult IMHO.

PS beat Iowa in Iowa City, and Iowa beat Michigan in Ann Arbor. Doesn’t guarantee victory but I think PSU will win. Mich St is middling this year.

When's the last time GCD ended up at a "cold weather" school in November?

If LSU@ALA is #1 vs #2 I would think it's almost a given that is where they will be.

Better chance for Minnesota might be 2020 for the BYU game.

9 - WI@OSU
10- FL/GA
11- LSU@AL (1v2)
12- OK@Baylor or GA@Aub

I am less optimistic for the Penn State game just because LSU BAMA shares that weekend. However, if gameday actually is committed to other venues to generate interest we may just get it since they have been to Alabama what? 100 times before?

I think we would need to run the table to Wisconsin game to get it over the iron bowl but man that would be an incredible story, be very hard for them to overlook that. Longest Rivalry, Greatest Trophy, Resurgent Historic Program in Minnesota, CFP implications..... bah gawd my heads gonna explode.

College GameDay will be here, just talked to Husker fans today that said the college GameDay people have a plan to visit schools it never has before. Everything is looking right for it

This. I don't know if this source knows anything, but there's something much more novel and interesting about 8-0 Minnesota and 8-0 Penn State in the biggest game for Gopher football in living memory than doing Alabama and LSU yet again.

I still think the swing vote here goes to TV rights. If ABC/ESPN have Minnesota and Penn State, it makes sense to promote their own product over the flagship game on the CBS schedule.

I don't see CGD coming to Minny for anything other than the battle for Paul Bunyon's axe in a game that decides the West Division title. That game would have tremendous appeal (a big ass axe, longest rivalry, MN the Cinderella story, the big bad Fadgers). PSU has a big name, but there is no natural rivalry with them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I don't see CGD coming to Minny for anything other than the battle for Paul Bunyon's axe in a game that decides the West Division title. That game would have tremendous appeal (a big ass axe, longest rivalry, MN the Cinderella story, the big bad Fadgers). PSU has a big name, but there is no natural rivalry with them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I agree with this. Besides, they will spend all their time talking #1 vs #2 anyway, so why bother.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

However, if gameday actually is committed to other venues to generate interest we may just get it since they have been to Alabama what? 100 times before?

14 times. Haven't been to Tuscaloosa since Week 8 of 2016 though.

I think we would need to run the table to Wisconsin game to get it over the iron bowl but man that would be an incredible story, be very hard for them to overlook that. Longest Rivalry, Greatest Trophy, Resurgent Historic Program in Minnesota, CFP implications..... bah gawd my heads gonna explode.

If this were to happen and Gameday had yet to visit in 2019 this would be a lead-pipe lock to host the show.

9 - WI@OSU
10- FL/GA
11- LSU@AL (1v2)
12- OK@Baylor or GA@Aub

Florida has already been on 3 times this season and LSU/Florida would be Gators 3rd appearance in 5 weeks. I think they could look elsewhere Week 10. Possibly SMU/Memphis, Utah/Washington or Oregon/USC.

9 - WI@OSU
10- FL/GA
11- LSU@AL (1v2)
12- OK@Baylor or GA@Aub

I just think the SEC loses a lot of steam outside of LSU and Bama with this last weekend. Guess we shall see. I'm not overly optimistic we pull game day for PSU personally. Would need PSU to stay undefeated and they've got some potentially rough ones coming up

PS beat Iowa in Iowa City, and Iowa beat Michigan in Ann Arbor. Doesn’t guarantee victory but I think PSU will win. Mich St is middling this year.

Iowa defense played well versus Michigan, but Hawks lost 10-3. Iowa is a two-loss team in Big Ten West race.

Iowa defense played well versus Michigan, but Hawks lost 10-3. Iowa is a two-loss team in Big Ten West race.

Whoops! Doh

Still don’t think Michigan will beat Penn St.

There are too many rivalry games the last weekend and it’s very unlikely we’ll be undefeated by then. Wisconsin will for sure have lost to Ohio St as well.

It’s 8-0’s for Penn St week or bust, for this year.

If we finish the regular season strongly, Fleck stays (media and fan rumor mongering or factual, he’s going to be named for every decent job that opens in December), and we start next season hot, I think we have a chance at some stage in 2020. However, it’s in all probability not happening this season unless both the Gophers and Badgers are undefeated with the Big Ten West at stake which would make the game and especially the Gophers a big story. The Badgers can beat Ohio State just because their defense is so great, but I don’t see it happening in Columbus, maybe if this was a Madison season. I think we can split with Penn State and Iowa, but don’t see us taking both. If we aren’t undefeated, no matter how good we are anyway, Gameday isn’t looking our way.

During the BYU - Boise State game...they were going through headlines for the day. Badgers losing is the big one. Penn State was there too, along with Minnesota. Another mention of Gameday.

Now with Wisconsin losing and Minnesota taking over the outright lead in the West? Makes the matchup even more intriguing.....especially since now that PSU is through Iowa and Michigan....it sure looks like we'll both be undefeated in a couple of weeks.

Might have to hope that Auburn beats LSU next weekend though. But really....it's two matchups between undefeated teams. Difference is that two of those teams get Gameday every year because they always start higher in the rankings.

Don't think Bama or LSU are going to lose. And that matchup will be 1v2.

Damn! It's gonna be probably impossible to beat that out for CGD.

If Minnesota wins next week against Maryland it’s a two horse race for Gameday on Nov 9. Sadly the other horse is Bama v LSU. It would help for PSU to also win vs MSU to boost those odds but the Gophers would be the story that week.

Up against anything else they are going to Minnesota that week, but we’re 50/50 at very best with 1v2 going on. Still think that we get it if ABC/ESPN carries our game, especially in prime time.

If Minnesota wins next week against Maryland it’s a two horse race for Gameday on Nov 9. Sadly the other horse is Bama v LSU. It would help for PSU to also win vs MSU to boost those odds but the Gophers would be the story that week.

Up against anything else they are going to Minnesota that week, but we’re 50/50 at very best with 1v2 going on. Still think that we get it if ABC/ESPN carries our game, especially in prime time.

I thought they didnt do November night games in Big Ten? Is that incorrect?

I think there's a better chance its the FOX Noon (EST) game or the 2:30 on ABC

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/19/gophers-star-linebacker-kamal-martin-injured-versus-rutgers/

Very bottom the Gophers have already declined to be in primetime vs. Penn State or Wisconsin

They can do night games in November as long as both team agree to move the game to night. I fully think ESPN/ABC get the 1st pick on Nov 9th and will take PSU/Minnesota.

Yes I have also heard this but I think there’s a few exceptions? Not real up on these rules, nor the rules for how big games get allocated between the ABC/ESPN deal and the FOX/FS1/BTN deal.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/19/gophers-star-linebacker-kamal-martin-injured-versus-rutgers/

Very bottom the Gophers have already declined to be in primetime vs. Penn State or Wisconsin

The AthDept at Minnesota still doesn’t get it. The wins are coming but the fatal flaw of the program is still a tepid game atmosphere and getting fans and the nation excited.

This is Minnesota and it’s only early November. Layer up and let’s...I dunno...build an atmosphere around this whole cold thing?

I heard yesterday they've committed to not having night games in November.

If you're a 3 loss team, maybe even 2, it makes sense to avoid November night games. However, when you're undefeated... you have to take the primetime slots. With the way this season has played out, they have to edit/undo that decision.

Best to hope for an Auburn win over LSU next week. Would be a bit more optimistic if they were playing at Auburn. Not only would this avoid the 1 vs. 2 matchup, but makes the Iron Bowl a likely Game Day destination.

Top Bottom