College GameDay

mjfelton15

Banned
Reaction score
What are the chances College GameDay comes to TCF for the Penn State game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the chances College GameDay comes to TCF for the Penn State game?

If both Penn State and the Gophers are undeafted going into the game I'd say decently high. The biggest issue is LSU/Alabama play that day, so we would need to make a compelling argument that our game is more important than two potential playoff teams facing off.

Nebraska screwed up the first opportunity.

The best way for any team to get Gameday is to join the SEC. ESPN continues to to be very SEC-centric.

I thought this might be a candidate year for the Gophers to get Gameday but the team doesn't look like it will be quite good enough this year to go undefeated very deep into the season. If so, the pressure for ESPN to mark another potential Gameday host school off the 'no Gameday' list will mount.

College GameDay is going to Ames for the first time ever this Saturday. The town is amped. They're expecting people to begin lining up at 4 a.m. for the chance to get near the stage. But it's also going to be a beautiful day in the 70s.

If CGD came to the U of M for the Penn State game on November 9th, how many people are lining up early in the chilly weather? I'd hate for GameDay to start and there's like four guys visible behind Lee Corso.

College GameDay is going to Ames for the first time ever this Saturday. The town is amped. They're expecting people to begin lining up at 4 a.m. for the chance to get near the stage. But it's also going to be a beautiful day in the 70s.

If CGD came to the U of M for the Penn State game on November 9th, how many people are lining up early in the chilly weather? I'd hate for GameDay to start and there's like four guys visible behind Lee Corso.

How has it looked when they have visited other B1G or northern locations in November?

I think you underestimate the draw of CGD. There is someone with a WSU flag that goes to every gameday, its more than just our local fair weather folks.

I mean, if both teams are undefeated, it's a certainty.

The chance of that happening is effectively zero.

We need to earn the chance to host. So far we haven't done that. I don't want them to give us a pity Gameday. Shoot for the sky. What about an undefeated Gopher team hosting an undefeated Badger team for the B1G west title? That is the kind of game I want for Gameday. If we somehow make it to PSU undefeated that would be a good one as well. Gameday is cool but lets make it a big deal when it happens.

If both teams are ranked in the top X, I would say they would do it. Not sure what needs to happen for that X, or what that X is (25, 20, 15?)

Great point that someone brought up about them going to Ames. Gonna be a crazy good time down there, I bet. If there wasn't a home game, I might be tempted to go tailgate down there and check it out!

I have season tickets to both ISU and Minnnesota. Sold this ticket for $350.00 Going to Minnesota game as its our annual family game for all the cousins and uncles. But non university tailgate lots are already filling with cars and campers down there.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I have season tickets to both ISU and Minnnesota. Sold this ticket for $350.00 Going to Minnesota game as its our annual family game for all the cousins and uncles. But non university tailgate lots are already filling with cars and campers down there.

If ISU pulls off the upset of ranked Iowa, I think Ames might be flipping cars over like they won the national championship.

If ISU pulls off the upset of ranked Iowa, I think Ames might be flipping cars over like they won the national championship.
I wouldn't look at it as a big upset. ISU is ranked as well. We've been trending up past few years. It'll be more than competitive. I think ISU offense lost too much from last year to really pressure Iowa's defense from what I've seen so far though but I hope I'm wrong. On the flip side we have a top 3 defense in the big 12.1

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't look at it as a big upset. ISU is ranked as well. We've been trending up past few years. It'll be more than competitive. I think ISU offense lost too much from last year to really pressure Iowa's defense from what I've seen so far though but I hope I'm wrong. On the flip side we have a top 3 defense in the big 12.1

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sure, I guess I meant less emphasis on the upset part of it, as opposed to just being in the national spotlight, CGD there for the first time, huge rivalry, big momentum for the program, etc.

When is the last time Iowa State won the Big 8 or Big 12? Ever?

The week prior to the Penn St game we get Maryland, who looks great so far this year. I still think we have a fairly manageable schedule but drawing Maryland this year is no picnic. They will come into TCF stadium on October 26 most likely undefeated if they can get past Penn St next weekend.

If CGD ever comes to Minnesota, you can be assured it will look great on tv.

The week prior to the Penn St game we get Maryland, who looks great so far this year. I still think we have a fairly manageable schedule but drawing Maryland this year is no picnic. They will come into TCF stadium on October 26 most likely undefeated if they can get past Penn St next weekend.

If CGD ever comes to Minnesota, you can be assured it will look great on tv.

I agree with you. That game looks much tougher than it did when reviewing the schedule over the summer. I think most people were thinking any decent game played by the Gophers would result in a win over Maryland. Now it looks like it would take a much better game on the Gopher's part to win and that game might be more difficult than Penn State. And Penn State of course won't be a picnic.

I would love to see a bad weather day that would be cold enough to get into the Maryland players heads (this year's Purdue).

Indeed, the Maryland and Purdue games sort of flip-flopped on the schedule from last year to this year.

I remember last year that Temple went to Maryland and won by three touchdowns, and then thinking that we would likely win @Maryland as well. We know what happened.

We've seen Fleck take this team to 3-0 several times before. If they can beat Purdue on the road, that should give us a good indicator of where this team is at. I think Shannon Brooks gets playing time in that game and does his best re-enactment of his 2015 Purdue game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPhMQTPrsBs

I don't see college Game Day coming when we have to battle against:

LSU vs Abalama

Iowa @ Whisky

Both of those games would be bigger than ours unless both PSU and the Gophers are unbeaten.

Someone stated it could be 10/5 when we play Illinois if Illinois wins the previous week against Nebraska.

I don't see college Game Day coming when we have to battle against:

LSU vs Abalama

Iowa @ Whisky

Both of those games would be bigger than ours unless both PSU and the Gophers are unbeaten.

The significance of Iowa/Wisconsin is TBD. As is Minnesota/PSU, for sure. I'm not so sure Iowa / Wisconsin would be a bigger game if they were undefeated because 8-0 Minnesota would be a bigger national story than either team, even if a 7-1 Wisconsin or Iowa would probably outrank 8-0 Minnesota.

LSU and Bama is what it is, but it's a CBS game. Why promote the competition's product when you can promote your own? (assuming ESPN/ABC can get rights for it)

Plus, CGD have probably been to Baton Rouge and Tuscaloosa plenty before. Going to a new place brings new excitement!

I'm glad the Nebraska game is out of the running. If Gameday came for that, it would be hard to not get outnumbered by Husker fans with how well they travel, which would be pretty embarrassing. ISU is a different monster when it comes to the hype around that program, even in years when they struggle. While there would certainly be a lot of excitement if Gameday came here, I'd be shocked to find that people are camping out for multiple days to get a good spot. Students with season tickets would no doubt show up, but it'll be those outliers that might be affected by poor weather.

If they didn’t come to see SDSU, they aren’t coming.

I'm glad the Nebraska game is out of the running. If Gameday came for that, it would be hard to not get outnumbered by Husker fans with how well they travel, which would be pretty embarrassing. ISU is a different monster when it comes to the hype around that program, even in years when they struggle. While there would certainly be a lot of excitement if Gameday came here, I'd be shocked to find that people are camping out for multiple days to get a good spot. Students with season tickets would no doubt show up, but it'll be those outliers that might be affected by poor weather.

You might be exactly right. But I just wonder, why is this true?

Has Iowa State ever won anything? Big 8 conf championship? Let along Big 12, guessing never. Any significant bowl wins?

Why do they have such better fan support than Minnesota?

You might be exactly right. But I just wonder, why is this true?

Has Iowa State ever won anything? Big 8 conf championship? Let along Big 12, guessing never. Any significant bowl wins?

Why do they have such better fan support than Minnesota?

What else is there to do in Ames?

What else is there to do in Ames?

More or less this. Imagine the Nebraska fan base but without the historic success, and you'd get something pretty similar to ISU. I've talked about this a lot recently but the existence of other sports alternatives makes the standard for a strong fan base much higher. Someone recently compared the Gophers' basketball attendance to other metro area schools and it's actually on the higher end. I'm sure football would show a pretty similar trend.

Top Bottom