College GameDay

I think if we’re 8-0, and Penn State is even 7-1, then GameDay coming here will be a good chance. Trophy game, we’d both be ranked (hopefully we’re in the teens), awesome East vs. West Big Ten matchup, it’d be a potentially historic game. I don’t see how GameDay could pass us up, other than unfavorable weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pass on Tiegen. Legend would get the nod if he's in town. Peter Najarian would also be good -- not sure if he's known enough outside of financial markets though. I'd still like Diggins the best, but I imagine she's probably into some hard core training about then.

Now that I think about it, it could be Whalen.

Now that I think about it, it could be Whalen.

Lizzo, Whalen, or Reeve

Penn State has to beat @Iowa, Michigan, and @Michigan State to be 8-0. They will be top 5 if they do.

Best chance for College GameDay right now is either against PSU or against Whisky if both teams somehow still unbeaten. Why that would be better than the Game.

1. Two unbeaten teams.
2. Oldest rivalry
3. The Axe
4. Opportunity for Corso to spin Goldy's head
5. Jucy Lucys

FIFY.

I think if we’re 8-0, and Penn State is even 7-1, then GameDay coming here will be a good chance. Trophy game, we’d both be ranked (hopefully we’re in the teens), awesome East vs. West Big Ten matchup, it’d be a potentially historic game. I don’t see how GameDay could pass us up, other than unfavorable weather.

tenor.gif

If we were in the burbs or just outside the MPLS/St. Paul area I bet we wouldn’t have to as much. Maybe somewhere like Eden Prairie, Woodbury, etc.

The U would need to be a good hour or more outside the metro for its impact to be less.

If we're both 8-0, CGD will be here. Who will be Minnesota's celebrity game picker? Robert Zimmerman is probably a long shot. I'd vote for Jessie Diggins.

Pass on Tiegen. Legend would get the nod if he's in town. Peter Najarian would also be good -- not sure if he's known enough outside of financial markets though. I'd still like Diggins the best, but I imagine she's probably into some hard core training about then.

It's interesting that you're wondering who a celebrity picker would be, and then keep bringing up non-celebrities. Jessie Diggins? Pete Najarian?

It's interesting that you're wondering who a celebrity picker would be, and then keep bringing up non-celebrities. Jessie Diggins? Pete Najarian?

Guess it all depends on your definition of celebrities. I consider both of them to be in that category. Another name is Tony Dungy.

The U would need to be a good hour or more outside the metro for its impact to be less.

What could have been, if the main U campus had been in Rochester near the Mayo Clinic. We’d be top 5 (public) in medical research grants and Gopher teams would be less in the shadow of Cities pro teams.

Whatever we as fans choose to focus on has zero impact on the outcome of any games.

You think these 18-22 year olds aren’t looking at what’s being written about them and wouldn’t be susceptible to buying into the hype? I search for Gopher news more than I care to admit and I’m a 35 year old fan.

You think these 18-22 year olds aren’t looking at what’s being written about them and wouldn’t be susceptible to buying into the hype? I search for Gopher news more than I care to admit and I’m a 35 year old fan.

Do you know any current or former Gopher football players? The ones I know have said they don't know what Gopherhole is. Maybe they are in the minority but I doubt it.

You think these 18-22 year olds aren’t looking at what’s being written about them and wouldn’t be susceptible to buying into the hype?

This is exactly what I think. Give the kids some credit. Most the stuff that is proposed on here as having an impact on recruiting, perception, interest, outcomes, etc. is comical. The idea that anything that any of us posters write on here impacts anyone other than other posters is ridiculous.

Do you know any current or former Gopher football players? The ones I know have said they don't know what Gopherhole is. Maybe they are in the minority but I doubt it.

Jonathan Nwonkwo, a one time gopher basketball commit, actually posted on GH using a burner account and gave updates on his recruitment and visit and then later revealed it was him and he announced his commitment on GH before he publicly announced.

Plus several parents of recruits have posted on GH or other forums such as Melvin Holland, Connor and Alex Mayes, Tyler Moore and Colton Beebe's fathers.

I know former gopher basketball player Damian Johnson once tweeted that looking at Gopherhole was a players worst nightmare after a loss.

If a player has a huge "all things" thread on them, the thread is likely one of the first things that comes up on a google search and I would bet many players do google search themselves.

I can't see Gameday passing up LSU/Alabama on that Penn st weekend.

I agree. Unless both teams go completely off the rails in a very unlikely scenario, I see ESPN going to Tuscaloosa even if one or both have lost by then. Alabama is at Texas A&M this Saturday in their best chance to fall before the LSU game and then has Tennessee and Arkansas games at home that it should easily win. LSU has Florida at home, goes to Mississippi State in a game it should win, and then hosts Auburn. I can't see LSU dropping more than one of those. That CBS will air it won't play a role in the decision making at ESPN. They'll make Herbie fly to his game site for that evening.

Looking at our game, Penn State has to get by Iowa away, Michigan at home, and Michigan State away in a tough slate. We have to deal with tricky Nebraska and Maryland games. The Huskers and Terps have had good wins and games in which they've been completely humiliated. It's hard to say how that turns out. Pains me as it does to say it, but if Gameday goes Big Ten that weekend, there is also Iowa at Wisconsin to contend with if some difficult games go the way of both teams.

We are among the few Power 5 conference teams that have never received a visit from Gameday. There are even some unlikely suspects that have had the show hit town like Indiana, Kansas, and Oregon State (3 times to Corvallis!). Now that Washington State got its much campaigned for visit last year, the missing teams Power 5 teams from the Gameday destination list are Minnesota, Rutgers, Duke, Virginia, and Wake Forest. All teams from the PAC-12, Big XII, and SEC have been visited although it's been a long time for some schools and many didn't get their visits while members of their current conference. Iowa State only got its visit this past September. As indies Notre Dame and BYU both have hosted. Some non Power 5 teams, FCS, D-II, and D-III schools that have been visited while we wait include Houston, Boise State, Air Force, Army, Navy, East Carolina, Cincinnati, Northern Illinois, SMU, USF, UCF, Temple, Western Michigan, Bowling Green, Florida A&M, Grambling State, Southern, Hampton, Delaware State, Harvard, Yale, Richmond, James Madison, Williams, Incarnate Word, Amherst, Buffalo, and North Dakota State (to my great chagrin).

My greatest Gameday fear was that the show would go to Target Field in 2017 for St. Thomas vs. St. John's because two D-III archrivals drawing a 37,000 plus crowd to an MLB stadium seems like the sort of thing Gameday would love. On top of that, there was a pretty weak slate of games that weekend overall with no obvious big school game to visit. What could have been as bad as Gameday coming to Minneapolis, but skipping the Gophers in favor of the Tommies and Johnnies? Good fortune prevailed when ESPN controversially decided to hold the show in Times Square with no major game in that market as anchor and instead the emphasis going to how many college football fans lived in the NYC area that would turn up.

Fine just win them all and set us up at home vs 1 loss Wisconsin with a trip to the BT title game on the line.

I agree in that I just can't see Gameday skipping Alabama/LSU. However, (and getting WAY ahead of ourselves) could the best bet be Iowa game next year? I believe it's early on so hopefully not as many great games to go against. It would require both teams getting nice preseason rankings which is not a given even with a really good 2019 season.

That being said I just really want them to beat Nebraska.

Tony Dungy for the guest picker? Eric Decker?

Bobby Bell or Bud Grant...maybe too old to get or want to get the bit? Eslinger, Utecht, Darrell T, Tyrone. Dave Winfield, Molitor, Jack Morris.

How about Loni Anderson or Jessica Lange?

Bobby Bell or Bud Grant...maybe too old to get or want to get the bit? Eslinger, Utecht, Darrell T, Tyrone. Dave Winfield, Molitor, Jack Morris.

How about Loni Anderson or Jessica Lange?

Winfield would be cool.

I agree. Unless both teams go completely off the rails in a very unlikely scenario, I see ESPN going to Tuscaloosa even if one or both have lost by then. Alabama is at Texas A&M this Saturday in their best chance to fall before the LSU game and then has Tennessee and Arkansas games at home that it should easily win. LSU has Florida at home, goes to Mississippi State in a game it should win, and then hosts Auburn. I can't see LSU dropping more than one of those. That CBS will air it won't play a role in the decision making at ESPN. They'll make Herbie fly to his game site for that evening.

Looking at our game, Penn State has to get by Iowa away, Michigan at home, and Michigan State away in a tough slate. We have to deal with tricky Nebraska and Maryland games. The Huskers and Terps have had good wins and games in which they've been completely humiliated. It's hard to say how that turns out. Pains me as it does to say it, but if Gameday goes Big Ten that weekend, there is also Iowa at Wisconsin to contend with if some difficult games go the way of both teams.

We are among the few Power 5 conference teams that have never received a visit from Gameday. There are even some unlikely suspects that have had the show hit town like Indiana, Kansas, and Oregon State (3 times to Corvallis!). Now that Washington State got its much campaigned for visit last year, the missing teams Power 5 teams from the Gameday destination list are Minnesota, Rutgers, Duke, Virginia, and Wake Forest. All teams from the PAC-12, Big XII, and SEC have been visited although it's been a long time for some schools and many didn't get their visits while members of their current conference. Iowa State only got its visit this past September. As indies Notre Dame and BYU both have hosted. Some non Power 5 teams, FCS, D-II, and D-III schools that have been visited while we wait include Houston, Boise State, Air Force, Army, Navy, East Carolina, Cincinnati, Northern Illinois, SMU, USF, UCF, Temple, Western Michigan, Bowling Green, Florida A&M, Grambling State, Southern, Hampton, Delaware State, Harvard, Yale, Richmond, James Madison, Williams, Incarnate Word, Amherst, Buffalo, and North Dakota State (to my great chagrin).

My greatest Gameday fear was that the show would go to Target Field in 2017 for St. Thomas vs. St. John's because two D-III archrivals drawing a 37,000 plus crowd to an MLB stadium seems like the sort of thing Gameday would love. On top of that, there was a pretty weak slate of games that weekend overall with no obvious big school game to visit. What could have been as bad as Gameday coming to Minneapolis, but skipping the Gophers in favor of the Tommies and Johnnies? Good fortune prevailed when ESPN controversially decided to hold the show in Times Square with no major game in that market as anchor and instead the emphasis going to how many college football fans lived in the NYC area that would turn up.

Even if both Penn St and the Gophers are undefeated, I agree that they'd probably need Alabama and (more likely) LSU to drop a few games. At this point, I'd say the best chance for Gameday this season would be the Axe game, but then you're contending with all those other rivalry games that weekend, most notably OSU/Michigan and the Iron Bowl. However if both teams go in with 0-1 loss, with the division and the Axe at stake I think they might come to town.

My general gripe about Gameday, which I really enjoy, is that they go to the same places over and over. I think part of the fun is seeing different campuses and locales and getting a true cross-section of college football from coast to coast. I wish they came out west more. I know that that makes for a really early local start time, but that show in Pullman was a blast. I also loved it when they went to Fargo, and the lower division schools.

Last edited:

I know current family members and they have told me that they try to stay off of here.

Top Bottom