Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: College GameDay

I think Game Day has a sort of Super Bowl effect on people (obviously it's not the actual super bowl).

Most folks, outside college football fanatics, don't care where Game Day is / might not even know about it.

But once it comes to your town everyone suddenly cares.

Just like I have no idea / don't care where the Super Bowl is pretty much ever, but I really know when it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Gopher View Post
    How about Morris Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Betty White -- she can talk about her St. Olaf days. Actually, I'd like to see Brock up there -- nice Minnesota connection and he'd be entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Livingat45north View Post
    If we're both 8-0, CGD will be here. Who will be Minnesota's celebrity game picker? Robert Zimmerman is probably a long shot. I'd vote for Jessie Diggins.
    We can stop this thread because CGD will be at Alabama LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    I think Game Day has a sort of Super Bowl effect on people (obviously it's not the actual super bowl).

Most folks, outside college football fanatics, don't care where Game Day is / might not even know about it.

But once it comes to your town everyone suddenly cares.

Just like I have no idea / don't care where the Super Bowl is pretty much ever, but I really know when it is here.
    Someone who didnít even know it existed would care if it came here? Not buying that at all.

Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    Thereís a big difference between Ames and Minneapolis and what passes for a big event. The U has had Super Bowls, Final Fours, World Series, and a whole bunch of A-list non sporting events held in the shadow of campus. Gameday would be noticed but itís not a landmark event for the TC.

Gameday might have actually been one of the biggest events ever in Ames.
    It was a huge event in Austin TX three weeks ago when LSU came to town. If you are a college football fan it is must see tv most every Saturday.

Game Day is a huge event for the schools that host it. Thought, the demographics of message board posters and the Gameday live audience overlap only about maybe 2%. So it’s not surprising that Spoofin falls solidly in one camp, and not the other.

Regardless, Minnesota will not be hosting Gameday that week. It was a silly suggestion months ago. It is out of the question now. LSU and Alabama may be the real top 2 teams in the country right now. That will be the biggest regular season game of the year.

Gameday is an institution.

It's definitely a cultural phenomenon right now. Point in case the Iowa State fan who collected Millions for charity basically holding up a need beer money sign in the background of the telecast.

I like watching it on Saturday mornings to get pumped up for college football that day, doesn't matter where they are or what they discuss there is an energy to the show that is infectious.

To give us the best chance to get Gameday on campus it would really help if they moved the battle for the Axe to October, or even the first conference game of the year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AO54 View Post
    To give us the best chance to get Gameday on campus it would really help if they moved the battle for the Axe to October, or even the first conference game of the year.
    2021, here we come! We just have to overcome our annual first game cream puff (Ohio State, in 2021) and the usual road non conference cream puff (Colorado) first.

https://gophersports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=353

I actually got to attend SportsCenter on the road when they went to St. John's for the Tommie-Johnnie game in Collegeville in 2015. It was an absolutely electric atmosphere and was a huge moment for SJU and the rivalry. It was pretty much the exact same thing as Gameday but instead of that crew, they had the regular Sportscenter crew. It aired from 7-9 on ESPN and then gamely was right after it. In fact I would actually say the atmostphere was even better than a typical Gameday atmosphere.

Long story short, it was a big deal for SJU and Gameday coming here would be a big deal for the gophers.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    2021, here we come! We just have to overcome our annual first game cream puff (Ohio State, in 2021) and the usual road non conference cream puff (Colorado) first.

https://gophersports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=353
    For some reason I didn't think the conference schedules were set yet. Forget the Badger game, Gameday should just come for that Ohio State game. We're both going to be undefeated.

When Gameday finally went to Washington State last season after years of the Wazzou flag flying on a weekly basis in the crowd behind the show, it was such a big deal and came off as so much fun. The Cougars fans wanted it badly and campaigned for it to come for ages. Pullman, WA being remote, the team not being good enough to warrant a visit, other games being far worthier of a visit, concerns over getting Herbie to his prime time game in a timely manner, and some bad luck like the time Washington State was really good and had a really good visitor in a week when Gameday had no other better candidates only to be unable to go because the game was on a Thursday or Friday instead of Saturday.

It doesn’t seem Minnesotan to do so, but if people started clamoring for Gameday to come here as one of the last schools it has never gone to, it would truly help the cause. If not for the flag each week and the years of campaigning, Washington State might still be with us on the outside looking in because Pullman is in the middle of nowhere and I doubt ESPN would’ve gone there last season if not for the feel good story and PR value.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Someone who didnít even know it existed would care if it came here? Not buying that at all.

Dude, we get it. You're not interested in GameDay. You don't care about GameDay. You don't know anything about GameDay. You'd rather clean out the shower drain than spend a minute at GameDay. That's fine. You do you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sports_Realist View Post
    When Gameday finally went to Washington State last season after years of the Wazzou flag flying on a weekly basis in the crowd behind the show, it was such a big deal and came off as so much fun. The Cougars fans wanted it badly and campaigned for it to come for ages. Pullman, WA being remote, the team not being good enough to warrant a visit, other games being far worthier of a visit, concerns over getting Herbie to his prime time game in a timely manner, and some bad luck like the time Washington State was really good and had a really good visitor in a week when Gameday had no other better candidates only to be unable to go because the game was on a Thursday or Friday instead of Saturday.

It doesn’t seem Minnesotan to do so, but if people started clamoring for Gameday to come here as one of the last schools it has never gone to, it would truly help the cause. If not for the flag each week and the years of campaigning, Washington State might still be with us on the outside looking in because Pullman is in the middle of nowhere and I doubt ESPN would’ve gone there last season if not for the feel good story and PR value.
    Gardner Minshew was a great story and charismatic character as well. Leach has a following, and the team had been doing pretty well. If MN can make some noise record-wise and get the hype machine rolling absolutely think Gameday would come to MN in the relatively near future. It doesn’t hurt to also have some interesting characters or human interest stories (eg PJF)..

Historically seems like Game Day generally favors warmer weather locations in the latter quarter of the regular season so I’m skeptical on PSU this year but never say never. Best chance is probably an early season matchup vs Sconnie or Iowa or Ohio State in a year or two if this season and next go the way we want.